Spanish speeding ticket

blaven

Just back from a month in France and Spain and 4200 miles travelling to Malaga and back.

Opened my mail today to find a speeding ticket picked up in Spain somewhere- 116 in a 90 zone.

It’s a fair cop I suppose and I’m not complaining. I paid by card over the internet today after the usual feeling of mild irritation which accompanies this sort of transaction.

The €100 fine reduced to €50 for prompt payment.

Has anyone, ( or has anyone heard tell of anyone) ‘forgotten’ to do this, and what would the potential result of non-compliance be I wonder?

This is an interesting development. As far as I know this is the first ticket to be sent to a motorhomer back in the UK from another country. There have been a few where the vehicle was a hire car but not a UK registered one. I guess it was just a matter of time. I wonder when France, Germany etc will start chasing them as they haven't so far.

What would concern me is if you were on say a six month trip and you got one fairly early on. It could well have escalated by your return.

We got a 100 Euro parking ticket in a town in the Netherlands for parking in an 'unauthorised zone' having parked the van there at the guidance of a local cafe owner who spoke very good English and said it would be OK.

When we showed him the ticket he said to ignore it as it was just the work of an over zealous parking attendant and it carried no legal status outside of the Netherlands but probably best not to return with the same vehicle.

That was several years ago and we heard nothing, neither did we ever return, even in a different van.

I too got a parking fine in the Netherlands some time ago, - parked in area I didn't realise was restricted near a Town hall. - Probably not the honest solution but I ignored it, never heard any more and I've been back since in the same vehicle and other vehicles as well. I think it was the equivalent of a local council fine. - Fortunately they didn't clamp which would have been more tricky. Somehow doubt they are waiting to pounce although if I got caught again, it might come up.

Speeding fines may be a bit more tricky - the euro authorities do have a link to you via the DVLA although euro drivers in the UK do not have a reciprocal agreement, if you didn't pay, whether you might find the DVLA chasing you is a moot point, - Also with Brexit, who knows if this agreement would stand, - doubt this is high on the agenda.

blaven - 2018-10-02 8:35 PM

Just back from a month in France and Spain and 4200 miles travelling to Malaga and back.

Opened my mail today to find a speeding ticket picked up in Spain somewhere- 116 in a 90 zone.

It’s a fair cop I suppose and I’m not complaining. I paid by card over the internet today after the usual feeling of mild irritation which accompanies this sort of transaction.

The €100 fine reduced to €50 for prompt payment.

£100 plus 3 points on your licence here in UK so £44 and no points is very nice. You did well out of that.

Has anyone, ( or has anyone heard tell of anyone) ‘forgotten’ to do this, and what would the potential result of non-compliance be I wonder?

No......not until last week with Beckham whose case has now set a precedent for all motorists receiving a NIP to claim it arrived "a day late" (outside the 14 day window), thereby voiding it.

They opened the gates with the Beckham case and until they start sending out NIP's via Signed For, this is now the way to proceed with them.

"£100 plus 3 points on your licence here in UK so £44 and no points is very nice. You did well out of that. "

Hmmm.......I suppose so. I'm the sort who never 'gets away' with anything. Better, I thought, to pay up rather than risk worrying about further demands landing on the doormat, and possible debt collecting and credit card problems. I'd only have fretted about it in the back of my mind.

What actually happens -

Taken from https://www.guidedmotorbiketours.co.uk/traffic-offences-in-europe-2018-update/

"If you are flashed by a speed camera, you can expect to receive a letter from the relevant countries traffic enforcement bureau within 8 weeks of committing the offence. Why so long? We don’t have a definitive answer for that but believe it is the time frame given to obtain the information from the UK and pass it back to the country where the offence was committed."

Fines:

Currently no points can be issued - although that's under review by the EU, - it could come next year

n case of non-payment of a fine, Member States can follow up according to existing EU rules covering judicial co-operation on cross-border financial penalties. For more information, see:

http://ec.europa.eu/justice/criminal/recognition-decision/financial-penalties/index_en.htm

Drivers who have not paid a fine and return to the country in question, may also face action – in the same way as a local resident

Failure to pay the fine will also result in your details being passed to…

European Municipality Outsourcing

Euro Parking Collection

if you don’t pay the fine, it is likely that at some point in the near future when visiting the country you received the penalty, you will be pulled over and made to pay as they’ll pick you up on ANPR, or worse, be charged and prosecuted for deliberately trying to avoid paying an enforceable traffic offence.

..... Better to pay up I reckon.

blaven - 2018-10-04 7:08 AM

"£100 plus 3 points on your licence here in UK so £44 and no points is very nice. You did well out of that. "

Hmmm.......I suppose so. I'm the sort who never 'gets away' with anything. Better, I thought, to pay up rather than risk worrying about further demands landing on the doormat, and possible debt collecting and credit card problems. I'd only have fretted about it in the back of my mind.

Bib is story of my life so i can identify with that! I can't begin to tell you the catalogue of disasters the camera unit have caused me over a NIP.

Had i known then what i know now.....i'd have 'done a Beckham'! ;-)

pelmetman - 2018-10-04 3:06 PM

I wonder what will happen after Brexit? :D ............

You mean apart from being laughed at by the rest of the world?

Mate, we’re all going to be a lot poorer. The euro is almost worth as much as the pound for all practical purposes.

I seem to recall this wasn’t the case pre 2016.

Three words: Voting. Christmas. Turkeys

Guest pelmetman
blaven - 2018-10-04 3:57 PM

pelmetman - 2018-10-04 3:06 PM

I wonder what will happen after Brexit? :D ............

You mean apart from being laughed at by the rest of the world?

Mate, we’re all going to be a lot poorer. The euro is almost worth as much as the pound for all practical purposes.

I seem to recall this wasn’t the case pre 2016.

Three words: Voting. Christmas. Turkeys

It's worth more than it was on our first winter trip to Spain in 2010 ;-) ........Gobble gobble :D .......

Tall_Mike - 2018-10-04 10:26 AM

What actually happens -

Taken from https://www.guidedmotorbiketours.co.uk/traffic-offences-in-europe-2018-update/

"If you are flashed by a speed camera, you can expect to receive a letter from the relevant countries traffic enforcement bureau within 8 weeks of committing the offence. Why so long? We don’t have a definitive answer for that but believe it is the time frame given to obtain the information from the UK and pass it back to the country where the offence was committed."

Fines:

Currently no points can be issued - although that's under review by the EU, - it could come next year

n case of non-payment of a fine, Member States can follow up according to existing EU rules covering judicial co-operation on cross-border financial penalties. For more information, see:

http://ec.europa.eu/justice/criminal/recognition-decision/financial-penalties/index_en.htm

Drivers who have not paid a fine and return to the country in question, may also face action – in the same way as a local resident

Euro Parking Collection

if you don’t pay the fine, it is likely that at some point in the near future when visiting the country you received the penalty, you will be pulled over and made to pay as they’ll pick you up on ANPR, or worse, be charged and prosecuted for deliberately trying to avoid paying an enforceable traffic offence.

This is a prime instance of where the UK leaving the EU will be an advantage.

How come UK drivers can be chased when back home after infringing an EU motoring offence ? And yet the same is not true in reverse ?

No wonder most of the Country voted to leave the EU.....which was only meant to be a Common Market NOT an EUSSR.

Obtaining an IDP at £5 will be no inconvenience compared. End of political speech.I promise.

This after being very nearly being 'sideswiped' by a Euro HGV on the M6, when checking out his registration found his rear number plates did NOT match the plates on the tractor unit ! How is that allowed. No, sooner we leave the better.IMHO.

Oh fantastic!! One benefit of Brexit (Perhaps the only one) is it might mean we can get away with speeding in mainland Europe. Wonderful. Thats well worth shooting ourselves in the face for.

As far as I am aware we can chase foreigners who commit motoring offences here but like our European neighbours we cant be arsed (well clearly the Spanish can now).

Rayjsj - 2018-10-05 11:00 AM

What actually happens -

Fines:

Euro Parking Collection

How come UK drivers can be chased when back home after infringing an EU motoring offence ? And yet the same is not true in reverse ?

No wonder most of the Country voted to leave the EU.....which was only meant to be a Common Market NOT an EUSSR.

No idea where you get that from Ray (probably DM!) but foreign motorists committing offences here in UK are prosecuted and in serious cases, sent to prison. Remember the Polish truck driver jailed for 10 years after ploughing into the back of a stationary car on the A34 killing a woman and three children? He'd been using his mobile phone despite giving a signed declaration to his Polish employer he would not.

Hi,

The issue here is when Europeans are caught in the UK for parking or speeding by camera, the actual driver isn’t caught and it relies on tracing the vehicle back to the owner, ..this piece isn’t in place. these are minor infringements, for more serious matters or when the authorities have got their hands on the driver - in the UK or in Euro land there are plenty of rules including the European arrest warrant, on the spot fines, vehicle confiscations etc, and these offences such as those at the terrible A34 incident are subject to the full force of the law in every country- and so they should be.

This process of tracing a driver back to his home is subject to a European agreement, and when it happens the addition of points, since all agreements may be suspended in 2019, it’s a moot point as to what will happen, it’s possible that ownership of it will transfer to the UK government, it might continue as is, or it might get thrown out of the window, who knows, there are thousands of agreements like this.

If you get caught, every Euro citizen is entitled to a fair trial and representation in their home language, some have tested the mettle of this by asking for their costs to be funded if they win in court, hoping that the authorities will drop the penalty, .... it is all a bit of Wild West at the moment

Rayjsj - 2018-10-05 11:00 AM

What actually happens -

Fines:

Euro Parking Collection

Obtaining an IDP at £5 will be no inconvenience compared. End of political speech.I promise.

This after being very nearly being 'sideswiped' by a Euro HGV on the M6, when checking out his registration found his rear number plates did NOT match the plates on the tractor unit ! How is that allowed. No, sooner we leave the better.IMHO.

As I understand it, the provision for pursing foreign drivers in their home countries is reciprocal but our government have chosen not to take up the option.

In some European states trailers are registered in their own right and do not have to display a second plate with the tractor unit's registration. The trailer operator is traceable in the same way as for any other vehicle.

aandy - 2018-10-05 7:52 PM

As I understand it, the provision for pursing foreign drivers in their home countries is reciprocal but our government have chosen not to take up the option.

Like so many reciprocal arrangements with the EU, the UK can't bother to follow it up. Take healthcare for example. We live in Germany and every time we visit a doctor, dentist or optician we have to show our medical card. We receive free treatment and a bill is sent to the UK.

However, when an EU citizen seeks medical attention in the UK, they receive free treatment but apparently the UK never bothers to send the bill to the home country. By not following this up the NHS is losing millions of pounds which it is entitled to claim back. This gets picked up by rags like The Sun who then accuse ex-pats of abusing the system. Not true.

In the 4 years that we've been living here I've picked up 2 speeding tickets. Both fines were €15 each (less than 10km over the limit). One speed camera was painting green and hidden in bushes. The first I knew was a blinding red flash. The second time I never even saw a camera. It must have been hand held because I regularly use that road and there isn't a camera there.

Way2Go - 2018-10-06 6:24 AM

We live in Germany. In the 4 years that we've been living here I've picked up 2 speeding tickets. Both fines were €15 each (less than 10km over the limit).

€15!!!? 8-) Stay where you are! Even with the rubbish exchange rate that's only £13! I daren't tell you what i've just been shafted for here and over a similar kph/mph. UK has an obsession with Cash Cams.....our motorways and main roads are littered with the damn things to make loadsa money for the Exchequer. Not just fixed cams but 'mobiles' which are less easy to spot.

I'd sooner drive Germany any day in preference to UK! About the only place free of Cash Cams here now is Scotland.

We have to make the once a year Christmas present run around the family. It’s nice to catch up with those people who have been over to stay with us during the year but we’re always happier once we get back on the train to France.

We find the U.K. roads really congested, constant speed cameras as you say and everything seems tightly squeezed together. It’s not until you’ve lived in wide open spaces that you really notice it.

We hope to stay here as long as we can but might have to return if the U.K. due to the total arrogance of a government who thinks it knows how to negotiate a divorce settlement. I feel very sorry for the thousands of U.K. migrants who have sought a better life and have been used as pawns - when they have been remembered at all. But I digress from the OPs post. My apologies.

In some European states trailers are registered in their own right and do not have to display a second plate with the tractor unit's registration. The trailer operator is traceable in the same way as for any other vehicle.

But that only gets you the registered owner/operator of the trailer involved NOT the driver of the tractor involved at the time. Unless very detailed records are kept of who was towing which trailer and on which day ?

I think theirs is a system akin to using false numberplates.....protects the drivers from the repercussions of their actions......unless they are caught and stopped immediately after the incident.

There is a way around getting speeding tickets both here and on the main land of the EU. It works in North America as well. As you move off you will notice a white disc within a red circle ?? on a post at the side of the road. Printed on the white disc will be a number in Black, usually somewhere between 20 and 60 mph. In some countries they use a slightly different measurement which is the metric system of kilometres. On the dashboard of the vehicle you are driving you will see a dial and a little red needle thing pointing at a number on that dial. The idea is to keep that needle from pointing at a bigger number than you see on the post at the side of the road. Some vehicles have a digital screen with an LCD read out on them but the principle is the same. You must keep that number lower than the number on the post you see at the side of the road. If you win this game you won’t get that sick feeling when you open your mail a few weeks after the game has ended and you can drive to the pub and celebrate with your chums.

Archived