Glastonbury

Palmerlee

Been 4 times taking the motorhome.

Camper van fields are pretty basic and you can’t buy camper van tickets until you’ve paid the balance on your ticket in April and they do sell out pretty quick so double stress !

It’s a bit of a walk from the camper van fields to the festival site itself up to about an hour. We prefer the West field.

Your van will be searched on arrival, they’re mainly looking for glass and any found will be confiscated.

Good luck on Sunday morning

AndyB - 2018-10-05 7:01 PM

Yes GLASS

Like most festival campsites, most of the year the camping fields are used for grazing of cows and sheep.

They also search for grass and white powders, which is something we have nothing to do with.

Right, I understand now. I can't see how the farmer makes money from it then. Must cost a lot to clear up after, from what i have seen on TV.

I guess the youngsters, are the ones who go, and they do appear to enjoy themselves, in all the mud!

i feel sorry for the locals , must be a nightmare for them.

PJay

I priced it up a few years ago with the van and it was going to be over £500. It wasnt that that put me off though it was the amount of walking involved and it sounds like the motorhome field is well out of it. The average festival goer walks over five miles a day at Glastonbury. My knees are knackered so unless they let me run around on the scooter I would be stuffed.

Glastonbury holds some of my finest memories though as a regular as a youngster in the late 80s early 90s. Its a right of passage everyone should do at least once I think but I would worry I would just constantly compare it to the "good old" days. Prefer to watch it on TV now. First time I went in 1989 you could drive your car right up to the stage and pitch pretty much where you liked. I remember on the Wednesday we arrived and parked for a few hours right in front of the Pyramid stage. In baking sunshine we sat on the roof of my battered Renault 5 drinking scrumpy and watching the sound checks and stuff go on. Happy days.

Stayed in Lovefields in 2017, very convenient and if successful tomorrow we’ll try and book there again.

We enjoy festivals,each to their own, over the years we’ve seen so many top class bands and artists which would cast a fortune to see individually.

Each to their own :-D

Barryd999 - 2018-10-06 9:50 AM

I priced it up a few years ago with the van and it was going to be over £500. It wasnt that that put me off though it was the amount of walking involved and it sounds like the motorhome field is well out of it. The average festival goer walks over five miles a day at Glastonbury. My knees are knackered so unless they let me run around on the scooter I would be stuffed.

Glastonbury holds some of my finest memories though as a regular as a youngster in the late 80s early 90s. Its a right of passage everyone should do at least once I think but I would worry I would just constantly compare it to the "good old" days. Prefer to watch it on TV now. First time I went in 1989 you could drive your car right up to the stage and pitch pretty much where you liked. I remember on the Wednesday we arrived and parked for a few hours right in front of the Pyramid stage. In baking sunshine we sat on the roof of my battered Renault 5 drinking scrumpy and watching the sound checks and stuff go on. Happy days.

Yeah my days of standing hours on end are long gone as you can see more of Glasto on the tv from the warmth and comfort of your home. I know it's not the same re atmosphere etc but it's not much fun traipsing through piles of mud or getting drenched! The Jeff Lynne ELO gig was sheer musical brilliance though i preferred the Hyde Park concert as Chereene Allen fiddled on stage......not bad for a mum of three children eh? 8-) They just don't make 'em like that oop North! (lol)

Palmerlee - 2018-10-06 11:08 PM

So I contacted Love Fields today as they didn’t have any pricing on their website.

Get this, one motorhome with two adults £500 for up to 5 nights, PLUS £200 for EHU!

Don’t think so ....

Flip

I guess that’s an indicator of supply and demand. I went with three friends to a much smaller festival with a mediocre line-up last year and we hired a yurt thing which cost around £1000 for four nights. One thing other campervan festival- goers say is that they spend half what would otherwise spend at festivals on food and drink because of the amount they can take and keep fresh/cold. So more money upfront might save you a lot in the long run. 7 minutes to go until tickets go on sale. Good luck!

Been to Glasto in the motorhome it was OK but now it is too corporate and the ticketing is a joke. World wide sales on the net have made it nigh on impossible unless you sit on the site. Try Beautiful Days festival instead much better line up.

Palmerlee - 2018-10-06 11:08 PM

So I contacted Love Fields today as they didn’t have any pricing on their website.

Get this, one motorhome with two adults £500 for up to 5 nights, PLUS £200 for EHU!

Don’t think so ....

Blimey..... 8-)

Only a couple of months ago i was paying £5 a night including EHU!!! on a site in Poland. Great concert too.......Jeff Lynne ELO, BB King, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, Eric Clapton and Tina Turner. Errm ok they were on dvds and i watched on my telly in van whilst enjoying a few tinnies. (lol)

yeti - 2018-10-07 9:40 PM

Been to Glasto in the motorhome it was OK but now it is too corporate and the ticketing is a joke. World wide sales on the net have made it nigh on impossible unless you sit on the site. Try Beautiful Days festival instead much better line up.

Sold out in just 30 minutes! 8-)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-45776649

We missed out on tickets this time around (only the 2nd-3rd time we've missed since late 90s, so can't complain), with maybe the last 7-8 being in a MH/camper'.

Although, to be fair this time we hadn't really thrown ourselves into the whole ticket buying palaver/lottery anywhere near as much as in previous years. (we just had the one laptop and OH's phone, as opposed to rucks of mates, family and forum groups all roped in to help..).

Even in our relatively short attendance span, we find ourselves comparing it with what it was when we first went, so for anyone who'd been before it started to get stupidly big (Barry999 , above) it would be massively different (either in a good way? or just overwhelming and disappointing?)

Although it's worth remembering that it isn't just the "events" that change(although both they, and their "clientele" obviously do), "we" probably change just as much as them. :-D

Motorhome-wise, it's best to turn up with as much water as your van can hold(we used to spend the Monday night on a pub site one the east of the site near Castle Carey and fill up to the brim there), otherwise you risk spending ages queuing at tap with the other 100s of jerry can carrying/aquaroll pulling MHers and caravaners (lol) ).

As has been said, they can/do search your vehicle, although that can depend on how quickly they need to clear vehicles off the roads/lanes.

(In 2016,on the Tuesday it took us 12 hrs to travel the 8-10 miles from the campsite, to pitching up on the festival site. We pitched up just after midnight!t).

So you need to be "prepared". (I shouldn't imagine it would've been much fun with in a vehicle with kiddies on board).

We always "hid" our metal cutlery and replaced it with a handful of plastic stuff (as friends had their ordinary cutlery taken by over-keen security one year)and then just switched it back when pitched.

We've only used the east "live-in" fields and the queuing and faffing to get in out can be horrendous at times (you have to show your ticket and wristband on the way out as well as on the way in..), so "popping back" to the van isn't always an easy option(especially when you find yourself over the opposite side of the site. So it's best to use the free lock-ups on site and drop off any addition clobber(warmer clothing for evening?bear/cider etc).

So well done to anyone on here who managed to get tickets...

(if it's a first time, just be prepared for the size of the place, the queues, the weather, good or bad) and you will have a great time). :-D

(..."other festivals are available" ... ;-) )

Well we weren't successful in getting tickets, but not particularly disappointed which probably says it all.

Thinking about all the other trips we'll be able to have for the best part of £1500 we would have spent on this long weekend.

Now, when are CarFest, Latitude and Rewind ..... :-D

Palmerlee - 2018-10-08 9:06 AM

Well we weren't successful in getting tickets, but not particularly disappointed which probably says it all.

Thinking about all the other trips we'll be able to have for the best part of £1500 we would have spent on this long weekend.

Now, when are CarFest, Latitude and Rewind ..... :-D

We've just done four weeks in Sweden/Norway for less than that. Ferries, tunnels, overnights, food, diesel (over 3,000 miles) included!!

Unfortunately we missed out as well this year, despite trying on 4 separate devices for the full 36 minutes.

I think we’ll give festivals a miss next year.

We went to Bestival in Dorset this year and the line up was very disappointing.

Archived