2017 Swift Leisure Battery Failure

ChrisB

My Sep 2017 Swift MH has just had its first habitation service and the Yuasa REC80 battery has failed and needs replacing. The dealer has put in a warranty claim but this has been rejected , the reason given being poor maintenance ( under / over charging ) . The system has only ever been used as instructed in the handbook and the battery only ever charged by the onboard charger , a mains hook up used at regular intervals during periods of no use. I am at a loss to think of any way in which the system has been misused . I now have to pay for a replacement. Is this an isolated failure ?

If you go through the many battery discussions on the forum you will come to realize that proper maintenance of batteries is a "science" that most MH users get wrong to a degree. And then factor in dumb luck factor and you are left with the situation you're in.

I know people who do everything contrary to what they should (mixing different age/type batteries, constant EHU etc.) and never have a problem. And others, who try to follow best practice and see a battery fail within a few months.

ChrisB - 2018-10-05 6:26 PM

My Sep 2017 Swift MH has just had its first habitation service and the Yuasa REC80 battery has failed and needs replacing. The dealer has put in a warranty claim but this has been rejected, the reason given being poor maintenance ( under / over charging ). The system has only ever been used as instructed in the handbook and the battery only ever charged by the onboard charger, a mains hook up used at regular intervals during periods of no use.

I am at a loss to think of any way in which the system has been misused . I now have to pay for a replacement. Is this an isolated failure ?

The Rec80-12i is a Golf Buggy AGM battery that has printed on the casing that it requires a minimum charge voltage of 14.4, ideally nearer 15v.

That is a requirement printed on the battery casing by Yuasa, so a mains charger that only delivers about 14.3v and an Alternator charging circuit that delivers less than 13.9v will result in a prematurely failed battery due to undercharging.

So Swift are right on the cause, but only because it is they that have failed to provide a battery charging environment that will charge an AGM battery properly.

We argued this happens in this thread : https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Yet-another-battery-question/50035/

and have since seen or heard of several instances of these Golf buggy batteries failing.

Yesterday we had our second exploded Yuasa AGM battery and will be contacting Yuasa pointing out the danger to life of fitting such batteries in Motorhomes with unsuitable charging set-ups.

So no it is not an isolated failure.

We would suggest you read our AGM battery page before you buy another battery : http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/agm-batteries.php

Suggest you hang on to the old damaged battery as, hopefully, things are about to change and you might get a second chance to claim on warranty.

Archived