Classification of motorhomes

Natali

Hello

I know one classification of motorhomes. Class A, class B, Class C, Travel Trailers, Fifth-wheel Trailers, Folding Camping Trailers (Tent Trailers) and so on. Is it european classification or maybe USA classification? Is there several classifications or jeneral classification for all RVs. Thank you.

hi Natali

Motorhomes or Motorcaravans are probably a sort of genenic name in UK, Camping-cars or Campervans in Europe, and RV in USA, for almost any type of 'home on wheels with an engine'.......

As to 'classes' then ignoring US, which are rather larger and somewhat differnet from Europe, they woudl, generally be as follows:

A-Class : fully integrated cab and body from the motorhome manfufacturer, traditionally with the main bed which drops down from above the cab to cabseat level, although more and more of them also have a second permanent bed usually at the rear of the motorhome. Price-wise, usually at the top of the range.

Coachbuilt, Low-profile : cab and chassis from the base vehicle manufacturer (eg Fiat), body of motorhome constructed and added by the motorhome manufacturer, but with the streamlined (low) body over the cab, which may offer some storage only, or in more modern ones just open space.....

Coachbuilt, Over- cab : (Also known as Luton cab') as above but with a large, very often uinstreamlined 'box' over the cab, which houses the main fixed bed. The size of this, I beleive, is controlled under EU regulations, stating a minimum height above the bed.

Van Conversion : Vehicle built by the base vehicle manufacturer as a 'parcel' or 'delivery' van, and then the company doing the conversion will cut out the spaces to form the windows, and very often the roof, to add either a permanent 'hightop', or perhaps a 'rising roof', which is only then raised whilst in use on sites. These tend to be of smaller dimensions, and often a lower level of accomodation, but can be more expensive then traditional coachbuilt ones.

Please note these are very general descriptions, and there are often significantt variations within each of the groups. Hope this helps, but send me PM if you want anything further.

Maybe some thought could also be given to legal classification on Mhomes in relation to

a) Types of MOTs required for varying weight bodies and body styles. It seems that the same body weight can be classified as two differnet MOT types depending on whether the vechical has a garage or not. Fill the garage with a motor bike of cycle, its one type of classification fill it with bedclothes ( not for sale) and its another.

b) Speed limits, I see in this months CC mag pp17. White van man (over 3.5 tons) is now restricted to 56 mph on motor ways and not allowed to use the outside lane, but motorhomes can.

Intresting situation to muse over when your speeding ticket flops through the door because Mr Plod cannot tell the differnce between a Tesco van a nd a low profile Motor home. !

(Personally, and in all honesty ?), What difference is there between a 3.5 ton and a 3.5 ton white van man travelleing @ 65 plus when either of then barrels into the tail end of standing traffic ?

Now wheres me pills ?

I have added !

Maybe some thought should be given to garage type motor homes now clssified as Large ( in my day "Light") Goods Vehicles and if as such are they now resticted to 56 MPH and the inner lanes of the motorway.

Errmmm ?

tonyishuk - 2007-01-29 9:21 PM

Maybe some thought could also be given to legal classification on Mhomes in relation to

a) Types of MOTs required for varying weight bodies and body styles. It seems that the same body weight can be classified as two differnet MOT types depending on whether the vechical has a garage or not. Fill the garage with a motor bike of cycle, its one type of classification fill it with bedclothes ( not for sale) and its another.

?

What about the guys with a Garage M/H fully laden with gear to sell at a Car Boot Sale.

Will he be classified as Carrying Goods for commercial gain.

Some appear to be part time Market Traders, the No. of times they attend.

Or must have barns full of stuff they no longer use.

Flicka

I'm glad that for other reasons I stuck to the max 3.5t (or less) when ordering my new motorhome.

Perhaps the dealers should be made more aware of the the limitation of 3.5t+, amd make sure the buyers are aware of this. I notice many of the new 'normal sized' ones are coming out at well over that to give a modicum of payload.

to Keith T

Thank you for reply.

What do you think about this classification? Is it american classification?

Types of RVs

Recreational vehicles combine transportation and temporary living accommodations for travel, recreation and camping. RVs cover a wide range of interests and budgets. At one end of the spectrum, there are folding camping trailers that sell for a few thousand dollars while at the other end you can find luxurious motorhomes that feature all the comforts of home and come with a pricetag to match.

Before you buy or rent an RV, it pays to gain a basic understanding of how RVs are categorized. The RV world is generally divided into two broad categories: motorized RVs and towable RVs. Motorized RVs combine a motor vehicle chassis and living quarters in single unit. Under motorized RVs, you'll find class A, class B, and class C motorhomes. Towable RVs are designed to be towed by a car, van, SUV, or pickup truck, but are small enough so as not to require a special highway movement permit. Under towable RVs, the accepted sub-categories are travel trailers, folding camping trailers, fifth wheels, and truck campers.

Motorized RVs

Class A motorhomes are generally the top dogs of the RV world. Units range in weight from 15,000 to 48,000 pounds and stretch from 25 to 45 feet in length. Describing them as "motorhomes" is no exaggeration. Class A units come with almost every creature comfort you would expect in a home, minus the front lawn. They are frequently constructed on custom undercarriages or on a 3-10 ton truck chassis. Many Class A motorhomes also feature an automatic slideout. At the touch of a button, motorhome owners can extend a portion of their RV's exterior wall outward to expand their living space. Class A motorhomes usually provide cooking facilities, a refrigerator, heating, air conditioning, a self-contained toilet, water tanks (fresh water, grey water, black water), faucets, sinks, a LP (propane) gas supply, a separate 100-125 volt electrical system, and a full array of appliances and entertainment features. They can sleep up to eight people, depending on the model and the floor plan. Prices range from $80,000 to above $700,000 for high end rear diesel models.

See our Class A motorhomes

See our Class A Diesel motorhomes

Class B motorhomes, also commonly known as van conversions, are the smallest fully enclosed motorhomes. They are constructed on a van chassis with elevated roof lines but no modifications to the length or width of the original chassis. Class B motorhomes generally weigh 6,000 to 8,000 pounds and are 17 to 19 feet in length. Although living space is limited, Class B motorhomes receive high marks for economy, versatility, and handling. When not RVing, many Class B owners make use of their units as family vehicles. Class B motorhomes usually provide cooking facilities, a refrigerator or an ice box, heating, a self-contained toilet, a fresh water tank, a waste water tank, a faucet, a sink, convertible/folding beds, a LP (propane) gas supply, and 110 VAC and 12VDC electrical outlets. Class B motorhomes can sleep from two to four people depending on the model. Prices range from $40,000 to above $100,000.

See our Class B & B+ motorhomes

Class C motorhomes, sometimes referred to as mini-motorhomes, are scaled-down versions of Class A motorhomes. They range in weight from 10,000 to 12,000 pounds and stretch from 20 feet to 31 feet in length. Class C motorhomes are generally constructed on a larger van chassis. The driver compartment is similar to a van, with a large box in the back. Class C motorhomes usually come with a sleeping bunk above the cab, in addition to a bedroom in the rear of the unit. Like their Class A big brothers, many Class C units feature a slideout to quickly extend the motorhome's living space. Class C units usually provide cooking facilities, a refrigerator, heating, air conditioning, a self-contained toilet, water tanks (fresh water, grey water, black water), faucets, sinks, a LP (propane) gas supply, a separate 100-125 volt electrical system, and a full array of appliances and entertainment features. Class C motorhomes can sleep up to ten people depending on the model and the floor plan. Prices range from $50,000 to around $150,000.

See our Class C motorhomes

Towable RVs

Travel trailers come in a variety of sizes, ranging from a small bedroom on wheels to the equivalent of a Class A motorhome without the engine and transmission. Travel trailers may be as small as 10-feet long or as big as 35-feet long. Many feature a slideout to quickly extend the unit's living space. Travel trailers must be pulled by a separate tow vehicle. For most travel trailers, tow vehicles must be equipped with a load distributing hitch and other special devices designed to control the sway of the trailer. Nonetheless, most full-size sedans, vans, SUVs, and pickup trucks are up to the job. Moreover, manufacturers have been introducing lighter weight models in recent years to reduce the burden of towing. Travel trailers usually provide cooking facilities, a refrigerator, heating, air conditioning, a self-contained toilet, a shower, water tanks (fresh water, grey water, black water), faucets, sinks, a LP (propane) gas supply, and a separate 100-125 volt electrical system. They can sleep up to eight people depending on the model and floor plan. Prices range from $10,000 to $100,000.

See our travel trailers

Folding camping trailers are the least expensive RV. Also commonly referred to as tent trailers or pop-up trailers, folding camping trailers are designed from the ground up to be lightweight and inexpensive while providing many of the conveniences found in a basic travel trailer. Because of their relatively small size, folding camping trailers can easily be towed by a typical mid-size car, and even compact cars in some cases. A folding camping trailer can be thought of as a large, expandable tent built on a trailer. Most modern models incorporate a rigid roof and a lift system to expedite setup. Because the sides collapse for towing and storage, the units take up very little space when not in use. Folding camping trailers usually provide cooking facilities, a refrigerator or an ice box, heating, a fresh water tank, a waste water tank, a faucet, a sink, convertible/pull-out beds, a LP (propane) gas supply, and a separate 100-125 volt electrical system. They can sleep up to six people depending on the model and the floor plan. Prices begin at around $4,000 and can go as high as $25,000.

See our folding camping trailers

Fifth-wheel trailers are similar to larger travel trailers, but they have an extension on the front of the box that extends over the tow vehicle and a horizontal plate that looks like a wheel (hence the name "fifth wheel") that rests on the tow vehicle for support. This hitch arrangement requires special equipment on the tow vehicle. Typically, full-size pickup trucks serve as tow vehicles for fifth wheels and are outfitted with a fifth-wheel hitch (also known as a gooseneck hitch). The hitch arrangement makes towing easier by placing the trailer load in the center of the tow vehicle instead of behind it. The extension on the front of the box also serves as a bedroom in most fifth wheels. Still more living space is afforded by slideouts that come as a standard feature of many fifth wheels. Fifth-wheel trailers usually provide cooking facilities, a refrigerator, heating, air conditioning, a self-contained toilet, a shower, water tanks (fresh water, grey water, black water), faucets, sinks, a LP (propane) gas supply, and a separate 100-125 volt electrical system. They can sleep up to six people depending on the model and the floor plan. Prices range from $15,000 to $150,000.

See our fifth-whell

Truck campers, sometimes referred to as pickup campers or slide-on campers, consist of a camper body loaded onto the bed of a standard pickup truck. Usually the tailgate of the pickup is removed and the camper unit is clamped to the truck. Because truck campers can be loaded and unloaded with relative ease, they are popular among weekend RVers. Truck campers usually provide cooking facilities, a refrigerator or an ice box, heating, air conditioning, a self-contained toilet, a fresh water tank, a waste water tank, a faucet, a sink, a LP (propane) gas supply, and a separate 100-125 volt electrical system. They can sleep from two to six people depending on the model. Prices range from $5,000 to $30,000.

Natali- hi, sorry I can't make any comment on this posting as I suspect it simply refers to American ones. The term RV is usually applied in the US as being 'Recreational Vehicle'. Like most things US the RVs tend o be bigger than anywhere else in the world (!), and I beleive their RV parks are well equipped for them.

Here in the UK most Motorhomes if they are used 'day to day' are porbably ideally about 6m long, although there are quite a few of 7m+, but you would need alternative day to day if using them. Many CAravan / Motorhome sites in UK are not able to take the very large RVs, or limit how many at any one time.

Keith T - 2007-01-29 8:11 PM

hi Natali

Motorhomes or Motorcaravans are probably a sort of genenic name in UK, Camping-cars or Campervans in Europe, and RV in USA, for almost any type of 'home on wheels with an engine'.......

As to 'classes' then ignoring US, which are rather larger and somewhat differnet from Europe, they woudl, generally be as follows:

A-Class : fully integrated cab and body from the motorhome manfufacturer, traditionally with the main bed which drops down from above the cab to cabseat level, although more and more of them also have a second permanent bed usually at the rear of the motorhome. Price-wise, usually at the top of the range.

Coachbuilt, Low-profile : cab and chassis from the base vehicle manufacturer (eg Fiat), body of motorhome constructed and added by the motorhome manufacturer, but with the streamlined (low) body over the cab, which may offer some storage only, or in more modern ones just open space.....

Coachbuilt, Over- cab : (Also known as Luton cab') as above but with a large, very often uinstreamlined 'box' over the cab, which houses the main fixed bed. The size of this, I beleive, is controlled under EU regulations, stating a minimum height above the bed.

Van Conversion : Vehicle built by the base vehicle manufacturer as a 'parcel' or 'delivery' van, and then the company doing the conversion will cut out the spaces to form the windows, and very often the roof, to add either a permanent 'hightop', or perhaps a 'rising roof', which is only then raised whilst in use on sites. These tend to be of smaller dimensions, and often a lower level of accomodation, but can be more expensive then traditional coachbuilt ones.

Please note these are very general descriptions, and there are often significantt variations within each of the groups. Hope this helps, but send me PM if you want anything further.

Where can I find this classification? I am writing an article about different types of classifications and I found in internet only this (A, B, C class - USA classes). Can you help me and give link maybe on dealers site with classes. Thank you Keith, you always help me)

Natali,

The four generally recognised classes of motorhome in Europe are as follows (I give French and German names in brackets):

A Class (Intégrale; Integrierter) are coach built vehciles built on a chassis cowl (i..e., a plain chassis with only the steering and instument binnacle supplied). The entire body is therefor coach built by the converter. Advantages include a non-rusting body, somewhat better fuel consumption (they are usually more streamlined), a pull down bed above the cab that you can leave made up and, with swivel seats, the cab is able to be part of an extended lounging area (especially if you fit a removable steering wheel). Disadvantages include extra cost (about £5,000 to £10,000 more than the same layout in a C Class) and size - they are often quite large.

C Class (Capucine; Alkoven) vehicles retain the van cab and have a large over-cab 'box' called a Luton (after the town - the box was invented there to give extra lorry space for delivering hats!). Advantages: The Luton contains a large double bed which can also give useful light-weight in-transit storage, and the same layout is usually much cheaper than the equivalent A Class. C Class is the most popular style in most European countries, especially with younger families. Disadvantages: The cab area cannot usually form part of the lounge.

Low Profile (Profilé; Teilentegrierter) vehicles are similar to C Class but have a smaller Luton, used only for small cupboards. Advantages: Sometimes (not always) a lower roof. With no Luton bed, almost all have a fixed double bed in the rear, usually with good storage underneath. They are very popular on the continent and are ideal for a couple. Disadvantages: The lounge area is usually restricted to a dinette

Van Conversions (Fourgon; Kastenwagen) use the whole van, often raising the roof higher. They are therefore more compact. Advantages: Size and manoeuvrability – white van man delivers into even the most ancient of European towns! Disadvantages: Around 12” to 18” narrower inside, so can seem more cramped.

USRVs are collectively referred to as RVs. Occasionally 5th wheelers will be noted separately but they are extremely rare in Europe, as, percentage-wise, are US RVs as a whole.

The classification you have given is a wholly US one and does not really apply in Europe.

Hope that helps,

Mel E

====

Mel E - 2007-01-31 12:19 PM

Natali,

The four generally recognised classes of motorhome in Europe are as follows (I give French and German names in brackets):

A Class (Intégrale; Integrierter) are coach built vehciles built on a chassis cowl (i..e., a plain chassis with only the steering and instument binnacle supplied). The entire body is therefor coach built by the converter. Advantages include a non-rusting body, somewhat better fuel consumption (they are usually more streamlined), a pull down bed above the cab that you can leave made up and, with swivel seats, the cab is able to be part of an extended lounging area (especially if you fit a removable steering wheel). Disadvantages include extra cost (about £5,000 to £10,000 more than the same layout in a C Class) and size - they are often quite large.

C Class (Capucine; Alkoven) vehicles retain the van cab and have a large over-cab 'box' called a Luton (after the town - the box was invented there to give extra lorry space for delivering hats!). Advantages: The Luton contains a large double bed which can also give useful light-weight in-transit storage, and the same layout is usually much cheaper than the equivalent A Class. C Class is the most popular style in most European countries, especially with younger families. Disadvantages: The cab area cannot usually form part of the lounge.

Low Profile (Profilé; Teilentegrierter) vehicles are similar to C Class but have a smaller Luton, used only for small cupboards. Advantages: Sometimes (not always) a lower roof. With no Luton bed, almost all have a fixed double bed in the rear, usually with good storage underneath. They are very popular on the continent and are ideal for a couple. Disadvantages: The lounge area is usually restricted to a dinette

Van Conversions (Fourgon; Kastenwagen) use the whole van, often raising the roof higher. They are therefore more compact. Advantages: Size and manoeuvrability – white van man delivers into even the most ancient of European towns! Disadvantages: Around 12” to 18” narrower inside, so can seem more cramped.

USRVs are collectively referred to as RVs. Occasionally 5th wheelers will be noted separately but they are extremely rare in Europe, as, percentage-wise, are US RVs as a whole.

The classification you have given is a wholly US one and does not really apply in Europe.

Hope that helps,

Mel E

====

is this the complete classification? and don't know why do people need the classifications. For what?

Archived