European Breakdown Insurance

Knaus

Has anyone had any experience with Lifesure Group (Motor Caravan Insurance Agency Ltd) They advertise Continental Breakdown & UK breakdown cover at £65 a year for vans under 11 years old.

My 'van is insured by them and I believe they are very competitive, but haven't tried their UK & Continental breakdown service.

Any info gratefully received.

We have been with MCIA since 1989 and found them to be first class, although only claimed for windscreen replacement.  We also use their breakdown cover (vehicles up to 15 years old) which is by Europe Assist, and although we haven't needed the service abroad up to now!, it seems to cover all eventualities and I believe that Europe Assist are reliable.   The price, £65 up to 10 years old and £85 up to 15 years old is pretty good.

Roy

Hi Knaus,

I used MICA for three years or so and felt comfortable with the terms and conditions when motorhoming in Europe, although I wondered whether their limit of £175 for towing off of a motorway was enough.

I haven’t heard any detrimental reports on Europ Assistance the breakdown provider for MCIA, and only know of one breakdown when Europ Assistance was used and this was satisfactory.

I changed from MCIA to Safeguard because Safeguard insurance and breakdown was cheaper (at the time) than extending the MCIA cover to 90 days in Europe per trip. I also liked the breakdown link to the RAC/AA (change of breakdown services recently) as a proven breakdown recovery service, and was offered within the motorhome comprehensive insurance.

As you are travelling with two others, kit yourselves out with a heavy duty tow rope, starter cables and I expect you have some walkie talkies, set of spanners and a small tool kit, gaffer tape and insulation tape is good to have too. Towing your friend’s vehicle on motorways is not permitted, as you probably know.

Regards Terry

The price quoted is fairly standard. B/D cover is bundled with our Safeguard cover but when I last got alternative quotes, the extra cost was around the £60 mark.

Two things worth checking, however, are (a) which countries they cover and (b) are there any restrictions on vehicle weight or length. You should also check the less obvious (but important) things like repatriation costs for the vehicle, who pays if you have to go home without it and then go back specially to collect it.

A good tip is to think through a typical breakdown, especially one that can't be fixed on the spot and requiring spare parts that might take days to arrive, and then re-think it with it happening 1500 miles from home in a foreign country.

Archived