Leisure Batteries

Guest starspirit

Guest starspirit

When I last used the van for a 20 mile run about a week ago both batteries showed a no load 12.95 volts just after I turned the engine off.

I removed both fuses to isolate both from each other and the rest of the van's circuitry.

One battery now shows 12.58 volts and the other 12.51 volts with no load.

Does anyone know whether this drop is normal please or whether I have two batteries slowly dying?

Thanks

It is caused by surface charge on the plates which after charging slowly dissipates. I believe it can take a few hours to completely settle. Basically it is charge left on the lead plates which behave like a capacitor. There is not enough voltage in the charge to actually charge the batteries.

Jon.

Guest starspirit
I was always under the impression that to be fully charged a battery would need to show above 12.8 volts and below 12.5 it was either in need of a recharge or starting to fail?

Hi starspirit, I think that a charged battery should not drop below 12.6v off load. The slight differences that you read on your meter may be within tolerance to its spec. To remain really accurate digital meters need to be calibrated about once a year but this is generally not that practical unless you have access to a calibration lab.

Anyway I doubt if your batteries would have received a full charge after a 20 mile run. Of course it depends on the state of charge before the run. It would be best if you could charge them with a suitable charger for a day or so and then let them stand for about 12 hours. If you then check the terminal voltage and it has again fallen below the 12.6v level you may need to think about new batteries some time in the future.

I assume you've checked electrolyte levels and topped up if necessary.

Phil.

Guest starspirit

Thanks Phil.

The van did 200 miles the week before and the batteries showed nearly 12.97 volts at rest afterwards, and yes the electrolyte levels have been checked and are OK.

Archived