Immune to Punctures

Keith T

There's an article in this months MMM about the above, and referring to a 'new' (?) product called Puntureseal. I seem to recall an earlier posting on this subject and other products claiming to do this, and wonder if anyone has experience of these.

My new motorhome (Burstner) will come without a spare wheel, or even anywhere to put it, and apparantly is equipped with a 'pucture repair' solution to keep you going to the next garage........I appreciate the weight saving, and have to say the practicality of retreiving the spare on my present 'van was well outside my ability, anyway, so in prinicpal, the idea is probably good.

I wonder however, if it's worth having the tyres treated with one of these products as soon as the motorhome arrives?

Any thought and advice welcome, and any comments on different products available?.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it might have been Mel E that has had this producted 'installed' in his tyres, I must admit I was wondering about having it done from new seeing as we'll have a twin wheeler Transit based van soon and I really don't fancy trying to change the inside rear wheels!!!

:-|

Here we go again, I repeat the following for the third or fourth time.

I carry a puncture spray in dutton, only time I've had punture it was a flint that cut a hole to big for spray to seal.

In NZ I had two puntures on a large motorhome, both times tyre shreadded, so spray would have been useless.

If you are trundling around most of UK and this happens, proboly not a problem, but if you are in more wilder climes or heading for ferry not so good.

Hi Colin, I think you will find they are not referring to the spray at all, but the seal that you put inside the tyres thats last a life time of the tyre and reseals any holes that appear. We too are getting a twin wheel transit and are seriously thinking of doing this to ours. This was brought up on another forum recently about all the vans that are now being produced without a spare tyre, and the manufacturers only supplying the spray that you are talking about, this is a completely different item.

Mandy

Hi all -

yes, to confirm, the product about which I am enquiing is one which is injected into ALL the tyres at the outset - costs seems to be around £50/60, and should apparantly last the lifetime of the tyres.

Any one with experience or knowledge of these. Are there significant differences in the differing products, and are they generally available. I think I did see one being advertised at SHepton Mallet the other wweekend,m but didn't gte opportunity to loook furthere at the time.

Hi Keith T,

If you look up my thread "Spare wheel or what" you'll find some excellent advice and useful debate from many of the experienced forum contributors plus thoughts and preferences from a number of other interested parties.

As a newbie, I certainly found it useful. Good luck with your new van, hope you really enjoy it.

Bob

A good thing to know as well would be, does this punctureseal alter the way the tyre rides ie: harder ride? does it alter the wheel balance?(stearing wheel vibration). and also,if you do have a puncture, will a tyre repair garage do the repair or tell you it's scrap because of the punctureseal.,if they do say its srap they are probably lying. Dunlop brought out 'puncturless' tyres years ago with a thick sticky gungk inside that sealed around the penetrating object

to repair them one had to scrape the gungk away from the hole,repair with patch and re-spread the gungk over the repair. As a tyrefitter for 10 yrs in a previous life, there were not many punctures that couldn't be repaired,quite rare really. Today the fitter will always try and tell me the tyre is scrap when its not, the puncture would have to be a very big hole or be very low down on the sidewall to be irrepairable,so beware!

Guest Frank Wilkinson
Keith T - 2007-01-30 9:52 AM Hi all - yes, to confirm, the product about which I am enquiing is one which is injected into ALL the tyres at the outset - costs seems to be around £50/60, and should apparantly last the lifetime of the tyres. Any one with experience or knowledge of these. Are there significant differences in the differing products, and are they generally available. I think I did see one being advertised at SHepton Mallet the other wweekend,m but didn't gte opportunity to loook furthere at the time.

Is this cost for all five tyres?

Frank - the cost quoted in MMM Feb2007/p173 is £47 for a 'set of 167" wheels"...perhaps they leave you to guess whether that's 4 or 5....!

They also quote a 15% discount for MMM reader until end of April, so that could make it quite competetive.

We shall only have 4 wheels, however and I think they will be 15", so what difference that would make I don't know. Once I get some views, I may well have a look, although the new motorhome is not due until May/June!

I have to say such a product is new to me, hence my enquiring about anyone having used it. Have friends hwo use the Tyron bands, but I think they are very expensive.

I've no direct experience of this particular product but had something similar on second hand scooter I bought recently. I can say that that product doesn't appear to affect ride characteristics or handling. However I did read somewhere that it does leave a deposit on the wheel rim which is a bit of devil to remove when the time comes to replace tyres.

As a PS I see Carthago (presumably among others) are now specing "Flat tyre set "Fix and Go" with compression and foam instead of spare wheel" what ever all that means. Obvoiusly offers signifcant weight saving any experience of this out there?

Vernon

Veron

Vernon - the new motorhome we have on order has no spare, but likewise just the Fiat 'can'. The only reason I found out was when I asked the salesman if the spare was still as difficult to access as our present van, to which he replied (to my amazement, I have to say!...'there isn't one'......

Oddly enough in almost 15years of having a motorhome, this year was the first I had ever had a puncture and needed the wheel changed 'in transit'. It also turned out the although the 'spare' was still unused, having lived under the back of the van for 4 years exposed to evrything thrown up at it form the road, it was not in brilliant condition.

So perhaps the decision not to supply the spare may be a perfectly reasonable one! I do think though I'd rather take some precautions in advance if they are feasible.

There have been many versions of these sealing compounds over the years and they will seal if you drive over a nail but a tubeleess tyre will probably do the same anyway. My last involvement with these compounds was some years ago and one problem (which may now have changed) is that the tyre companies did not approve their use. I would check if this is still the case and tell your insurance company that you are using it.

Keith

I had my last van and my current van treated with Ultraseal, which is a variant of the puncureseal, Both times they were completed at shows, the first at malvern and my current van at last years Bath and West by a brilliant guy called Nigel Dyer of Ultraseal He is based in Wimborne and is contactable on nigeldyer2002@yahoo.co.uk or 07813908101

The cost was £12.50 per tyre (Show price) he took the tyre valve out and pumped in the gunge into the tyre under pressure and then refitted the valve and reinflated the tyre to my specified level, when i say reinflated, i am talking about a few pounds as it is so quick. As yet we have had no issues at all, the ride is the same, the tyres seem to be OK. We were in the New Forest last year (before the treatment) and picked up a nail, trying to change a tyre on a wet Monday morning lying on wet grass to get the spare tyre out was not funny, this spured me on to getting the tyres done as soon as I could.

I would highly recommend this product and company, Nigel is a genuine guy with a heart of gold, (and no he is no relation).

Tezza

Well, as Colin says, here we go again.

FIRST, I should declare I have had my van conversion 'Ultrasealed'. The charge is for 4 tyres - there's no point in injecting the spare as you will never need it. Put it on when the first tyre needs replacing and get both new tyres injected then.

SECOND, we are NOT talking about an after-the-event inject spray, which is what Colin is talking about, but a before the event injection which prevents deflation ever occurring (unless the tyre hits a large obstacle and is written off).

THIRD, the advantages include no need to carry a spare (unless you are going into the real wilds - then, like Aussies in the outback, you should really carry 2 spares as a minimum), maintaining continuously the correct inflation pressure which extends the life of the tyre, spreading heat more quickly from the tyre surface to the rim, which, being metal, cools quickly, also extending tyre life.

FOURTH, the tyres are at the right pressure all the time, so the ride is optimal and totally unaffected. The 'gunk' is spread round the tyre by centripetal force so there are no balance problems.

FIFTH, if you do have a puncture, the tyre will not deflate. Moreover, if you then remove the offending insert (nail, thorn, whatever), the sealant completely seals the tyre without the need for a repair, so there is no issue over cleaning the 'gunk' from the inside of the tyre. The sealant is as effective as the rubber plug normally used in repairs. And Ultraseal has been tested to 150mph and 40,000 miles.

SIXTH, this method is extensively used by commercial vehicle operators for whom downtime having a tyre swapped or repaired is REAL money. They would not keep coming back if it wasn't value for money over the very high mileages they run.

SEVENTH, it is also used by the military.

Of course, it does not solve ALL problems - hence my caution about going into wild places.

Mel E

====

Hi all, and thanks for this info, a great help, and since the new motorhome does NOT have a spare, think I may well go down this route.

One question, I note the guy at Wimborne who does this, but is there a 'national' installation service, and are there 'local' contacts? Is there likely to be one in Cornwall, and how can one get this info? Thanks again.

Would not be without it, as I am an invalid. If your tyre man doesn't like it, he can wash it out with plain water. The repair is for the life of the tyre. Prices obviously vary as I paid £20 pre tyre show price about 3 years ago last time I had it done at a show.

Mel E

We're seriously considering having this done on our new van when we get it (6 wheeler!), but one question, how do you know the correct pressure? Not as daft as it may seem - what if you have to alter the pressure, ie reduce it, to get a better ride - is this possible?

Mel

:-S

I have had "Tyresafe" and "Protex" use normal tyre presure with it installed as it would be without it. Only one thing :- starting from cold drive a quarter of a mile until wheels ballance themselves, wheels should be ballanced before installing the sollution.

Ranger - 2007-01-31 10:16 PM

I have had "Tyresafe" and "Protex" use normal tyre presure with it installed as it would be without it. Only one thing :- starting from cold drive a quarter of a mile until wheels ballance themselves, wheels should be ballanced before installing the sollution.

I would suggest getting the wheel balancing done after you have the spray done, its bound to slightly alter the balance, although most newer vehicles are not so sensitive to wheel balance problems. It wasn't that long ago that all wheels had to be balanced whilst on the car, now, wheels are always balanced off the car. I suppose that is because tyres and suspension are better than they used to be

choppa

Answers to supplementary questions:

Keith T:

Unltraseal is sold and installed by franchised agents. The nearest to you is probably Wyvern Conversions in Shepton Mallet, but you can always check the Ultraseal web site.

Mel B:

The tyre valve works completely normally after the liquid is injected; you can deflate or inflate the tyre as much as you want (e.g., for extra adhesion on slippery surfaces). In addition, when in motion, the sealant stops loss of pressure, maintaining the tyre at whatever the set pressure is.

Mark L:

My tyres were injected at a show when the van had been stationary for at least 36 hours. The injection had absolutely no effect on the wheel balance whatsoever. Nor should it as it is distributed completely evenly round the inside of the tyre once in motion.

Ranger:

As I've said, this is NOT a repair but a preventative. There should be absolutely no reason for your tyre man to become involved at all. As I said above, if you do get a puncture, remove the cause and the sealant will seal the tyre for its remaining life without needing a supplementary repair. The only time your tyre man will get involved is to fit a new tyre when your tyre is worn out. Then you will need to get the wheel re-injected.

Hope that helps,all,

Mel E

====

I would advise anybody thinking of using these compounds to check with your tyre manufacturers technical dept that its use is approved by them. If it isn't it could technically be a non compliance with C & U regs. Alternatively ask the supplier to provide documentary evidence that it is approved by the manufacturer.

Yes Mel E like you say, no need for a tyre man to touch the tyres as it repairs for the life of the tyre, but there are some folk who think it ruins the tyres, but as we who use it know it does no harm to the tyres and can be washed out if required for any reason. I would not be without it, I have never had a flat, but I may have never had a puncture, I would not know would I???

Mel E - 2007-02-01 11:04 AM

Answers to supplementary questions:

Keith T:

Unltraseal is sold and installed by franchised agents. The nearest to you is probably Wyvern Conversions in Shepton Mallet, but you can always check the Ultraseal web site.

Mel B:

The tyre valve works completely normally after the liquid is injected; you can deflate or inflate the tyre as much as you want (e.g., for extra adhesion on slippery surfaces). In addition, when in motion, the sealant stops loss of pressure, maintaining the tyre at whatever the set pressure is.

Mark L:

My tyres were injected at a show when the van had been stationary for at least 36 hours. The injection had absolutely no effect on the wheel balance whatsoever. Nor should it as it is distributed completely evenly round the inside of the tyre once in motion.

Ranger:

As I've said, this is NOT a repair but a preventative. There should be absolutely no reason for your tyre man to become involved at all. As I said above, if you do get a puncture, remove the cause and the sealant will seal the tyre for its remaining life without needing a supplementary repair. The only time your tyre man will get involved is to fit a new tyre when your tyre is worn out. Then you will need to get the wheel re-injected.

Hope that helps,all,

Mel E

====

thats good to know,will check it out

Archived