Immune to Punctures

Keith T

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Frank Wilkinson

Mel E wrote:

FIRST, I should declare I have had my van conversion 'Ultrasealed'. The charge is for 4 tyres - there's no point in injecting the spare as you will never need it. Put it on when the first tyre needs replacing and get both new tyres injected then.

Can you ever guarantee that you'll never need the spare? Isn't there the odd chance of a tyre being damaged so badly, that even this system won't be enough to save it?

If one already has a spare as I have, isn't it good sense to have it done as well, just in case?

I'm not disputing anything that you say here be the way Mel, simply enquiring.

Frank Wilkinson - 2007-02-02 12:48 PM

Mel E wrote:

FIRST, I should declare I have had my van conversion 'Ultrasealed'. The charge is for 4 tyres - there's no point in injecting the spare as you will never need it. Put it on when the first tyre needs replacing and get both new tyres injected then.

Can you ever guarantee that you'll never need the spare? Isn't there the odd chance of a tyre being damaged so badly, that even this system won't be enough to save it?

If one already has a spare as I have, isn't it good sense to have it done as well, just in case?

Frank,IMO the system is a waste of money as many motorhome punctures are "Blow Outs" when the sealant is about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike. As for travelling in countries like Morocco, Turkey and Greece without a spare wheel the mind boggles.But they will live and learn hopefully.Don

Guest Frank Wilkinson

Don Madge wrote:

IMO the system is a waste of money as many motorhome punctures are "Blow Outs" when the sealant is about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike.

Thank you Don for your response. Apart from anything else it's the funniest line I've heard in ages!

Don Madge - 2007-02-02 2:21 PM
Frank Wilkinson - 2007-02-02 12:48 PM

Mel E wrote:

Frank, IMO the system is a waste of money as many motorhome punctures are "Blow Outs" when the sealant is about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike. As for travelling in countries like Morocco, Turkey and Greece without a spare wheel the mind boggles. But they will live and learn hopefully. Don

Hello Don

I just wonder; a blowout is, generally, quite an unusual type of tyre failure.  Asuming we're both on the same wavelength, blowouts usually have some primary cause: constant kerbing damaging the tyre carcass, something large and sharp on the road, or underinflation leading to overheating and failure.  If we accept that those who bang up and down kerbs will inevitably suffer blowouts, and ditto those who hit the large sharp object, that still leaves underinflation that might benefit.

Underinflation may be due to laziness, in which case if, as Mel says, the sealant helps to maintain pressures even the lazy (and those of us travelling the opposite way!) should benefit to some extent. 

Beyond the lazy, however, at least some underinflation blowouts are likely to start with a minor "slow" puncture, caused by a nail or similar.  If the sealant prevents this cause, as well as reducing the "lazy" one, there is surely some tangible benefit from the sealant.  So, not necessarily a waste of money, since the cost isn't really that great.

However, personally, even as a confirmed non-kerber and a pressure checker, I'd still prefer to have a spare just in case of that large sharp object, because they don't just turn up in Morocco, Turkey or Greece!

Take care!

There are occasionally blow outs caused by a manufacturing defect but these are in fact very few and far between. by far the largest cause of blow outs is over loading!

I will now sit back and watch for all of the "I had a blow out but was definitely not overloaded" postings.

D.

Don,

Senior moment may be, but your assertion that these products are a waste of money is simply not born out by the facts. Major hauliers and van fleets would not use the stuff if it wasn't cost effective and, as I've already said, they do so because the reduction in downtime caused by punctures and their repairs more than pays for the product.

And Don, just where do you get this magic statistic that the majority of motorhome punctures are blowouts? Where is the documentary evidence for this?

Even if true, most blowouts are the result of a puncture causing loss of pressure followed by severe heat build up and eventual tyre failure and Ultrseal and similar products simply stop this happening. Or they result from continuing to use tyres that are well past their use-by date and have cracked sidewalls. Modern tyres fail in normal driving - even when overloaded - extremely rarely and, while Dave is right about overloading, you have to overload modern tyres quite severely, as other tyre manufacturer reports on this forum have made clear.

Finally, as to driving in Morocco, etc., you clearly haven't read what has already been written; I certainly advised taking a spare to such places, but also cautioned that it will only protect you against ONE puncture. In similar environments in Australia, it is common practice to carry two spares.

Modern tyres have developed hugely. Injection systems have also done so. We really do not need a spare under normal circumstances. Engines have also improved over the years. Or do you still carry a starting handle in your motorhome?

Have fun,

Mel E

====

I use Ultraseal in my motorcycle, however that is because it's hard to carry a spare wheel on a motorcycle! I have no reason to think it does not do its job, certainly had no deflations since using it, but then I never had one before either.

Having had a blow out, yes not a puncture a totally exploded tyre (pictures to prove if anyone wants to see them) that was not long fitted so were not suffering from aging or wear, was inflated correctly, was not overloaded and showed no sign of puncture slow or otherwise prior to the sudden deflation on the M20 in the dark, there is no way I would buy a van new or second hand (beware anyone buying one I am probably not alone, so think about when you want to sell on) that was not supplied with a spare.

Bas

• 3 years later...

Just resurrecting an old thread on the question of spare wheels and puncture sealants.

I had Puncturesafe installed because we have no spare wheel, nor do I really want one. It is admittedly a gamble but the worst scenario is a blowout which as Mel points out are usually started by a puncture and consequent underinflation.

However in a moment of paranoia I now think about the consequences of a sidewall being deliberately slashed.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience on whether Puncturesafe (or similar) would seal the tyre, even if only temporarily in order to get to somewhere safe.

Whilst the tyre will obviously be ruined and eventual replacement will take longer (and perhaps be more costly) than carrying a spare, the counter might be that it might stand a chance of getting to safety rather better than a spare equipped vehicle without Puncturesafe.

Any thoughts anyone?

Had Ultraseal in caravan and tugger vehicle for three/four years now, had two bursts when I clipped a kerb otherwise tyres still at the original pressure when first added.

For me it has done it's job, had a screw in one tyre for about 9,000 miles until the tyre was renewed for wear and tear reasons.

Mind you my local Quickfit don't like it and they like the Tyron bands even less but I stand up to them and they change them eventually

The product is a liquid polymer that is carried by air pressure into a hole made by, for example, a nail, and sets to seal the hole.

If the tyre were punctured through its sidewall by something like a nail, deliberately or otherwise, it should seal.  If the hole is larger than a few mm, I do not see how it can seal, as a) the air would be lost pretty much instantaneously and b) a liquid cannot possibly bridge a large gash.  The best they offer is that sidewall punctures may re-seal, or you may experience slow enough deflation to allow you to retain control and stop safely.

What you are talking about is not a puncture, it is vandalism, and I cannot think of anything that would prevent a slashed tyre from deflating.

However, since you are uncertain, and since Puncturesafe make the stuff, why not ask them what maximum size hole the stuff can seal?  They should know.

If your van has no spare and one is difficult or impossible to fit then it does not much matter how big a hole it will seal. I to have no spare and while I would rather have one their does not seem much point in worrying about it. I had Ultraseal put in the tyres and have no clue if it works or not but I do know that in nearly two years and nineteen thousand miles later I have put no air in the tyres. Just have it done, while it will not seal a slash in tyre wall it should deal with a normal puncture which is a lot better than nothing. If you get a sidewall puncture or a 'blowout' the tyre is useless anyway and will have to be replaced. Whether you have a spare or not you will likely have to call out rescue to sort things out so in reality not much differance.

In my short time (12 months) of following this forum I seem to remember three similar threads. So I will contribute for the third time>:-)

Concerned about a blow out --- fit Tyron bands supplied and fixed by Kwikfit.

Concerned about a slow puncture --- use a sealant, check your pressures regularly, and carry a heavy duty tyre inlator.

As for changing a wheel? If you are fit enough and do not have back problems (and changing a wheel could create them) then OK a spare wheel may be appropriate, but just bear in mind that it could be chucking it down, blowing a hooley and the puncture is on the offside and you are on a straight piece of single carriageway with lorries going by inches away at 60mph. Good luck with that.

Tyron bands allow you to drive to have the tyre sorted, and they give you peace of mind(lol)

We were going to have the sealant put in our van tyres but because of a total lack of interest in doing the job by the company advertised on the Caravan Channel and approached directly by myself at the NEC show in 2009 we didn't have it done.

I then asked a friend of mine who has a tyre repair company if he could do it and he advised me against having it done. he stated that the tyre would rumble as I pulled way from a long layup until the sealant had run round the inside of the tyre. In his opinion this product is ok for trucks because of their slow move off speed but for cars and vans, including motorhomes, it was not a good idea. He said that the tyre industry was working on a self sealing tyre for general use within the next couple of years. On that basis I've lost interest in it.

I've no idea whether he was giving me a load of bluff or what but has anyone else noticed a tyre "rumble" when they've had it injected?

I have done 4000 miles /UK and France/Spain since having Puncture Seal injected Professionally 12 months ago. After a layup of say 6 weeks then I have noticed a slight judder on the steering wheel. This disappears after a few miles, i presume after the liquid has been pushed full and evenly around the tyres.

I have checked the pressures and there was a drop of 4psi, the same in each of the 4 tyres, and due to Temperature difference between Summer and Winter So it gives me peace of mind that I should not suffer catastrophic failue due to Air loss in the case of a puncture.

Mike

I have posted this before, but.......

In Sardinia, due to being forced into the side by a large lorry we had a front wheel buckled in a pothole. The tyre may have been ok but the rim of the wheel wasn't......

The hire car was a Fiat - no spare!

Gunge in the wheel wouldn't have been any use, neither would an "inflation kit"

We were in the sticks.......

There is no way I will travel without a spare wheel.......

Thanks to those who have replied.

For those who have not had Puncturesafe installed I should mention that I did it myself - a straightforward job but you do need a jack to take the weight off the tyre and a good compressor because you are blowing it up from empty (presumably unlike a professional installation).

Having done 4000 miles since I haven't noticed any difference in wheel balance or vibration.

This is the reply given by Puncturesafe in their Q&A :-

" Q - Will Puncturesafe seal sidewall punctures?

A - Yes & No!

However, It is important to realise that Puncturesafe cannot hide or mask a dangerous puncture. Radial tyre sidewalls are much thinner in construction than the rest of the tyre. Even though there is some rubber recovery, if the puncture has not weakened the structure of the tyre, it will seal.

If the puncture is dangerous, Puncturesafe is designed to bleed and the tyre will deflate in a slow controlled manner. Regardless of the tyre, the sidewall is the most vulnerable area. Puncturesafe UK does not guarantee positive secure seals on sidewall puncture"

I can certainly see the advantage of Tyron bands but its probably too late now without losing the Puncturesafe.

I suppose at the end of the day its just a question of how much risk you want to try and cover!

Hi

We have an LPG taxi and have been using ultraseal in the tyres for 4 years as the LPG tank is fitted in the spare wheel hole in the boot, there are also 5 other taxis on our rank that run on LPG and have ultraseal in the tyres, and in the 4 years we have be using it none of the taxis have ever had a punture and we do over a 1000 miles a week.

We also have it in our tribute 665 van tyres as we dont have a spare, my husband buys the Ultraseal of the web as we use quiet a lot of it doing so many miles a week in the taxi and he asked our local tyre dealer if he would put it in the van, which he did and only charged him £10 for jacking the van up and deflating the tyre my husband then inserted the ultraseal and then they inflated the tyre again.

Even though we have the Ultra seal in the tyres and this gives us peace of mind and are very unlikely to ever have to change the tyres we have found out in the small print of our insurance for the van we need a spare to be covered, I only read this after finding out this was likly to be the case after reading it on the tribby forum, and also some countries abroad insist you carry a spare, so we are going to get a spare as well and keep it under the bed at the back, as our underslung water tank is where the wheel would go *-)

I was a girl guide and like to be prepared.

Fiona

Fiona, interesting you say insurance insists spare be carried, never heard of this one. Do you mean the van insurance or the breakdown insurance? Never heard the bit about spare wheel needs to be carried in certain countries either, especially if van does not come with a spare. Which counties are these?

Archived