Electrical failure. Help needed

Dickybeau

I’m preparing for my wife’s longed for trip starting tomorrow. Unfortunately the mains power to the van keeps blowing and I can’t think where to start to identify the trouble. I have a Burstner Viseo 700i with a Schaudt EBL 99. In recent times I have had the odd blown fuse and some led light failures. More recently, I notice that the fridge doesn’t operate on battery and that my satnav doesn’t start after the van is in storage unless I switch the 12v on. Any clues to what is going on?

You say that the mains power keeps blowing. Please be more precise in order that I or others may offer advice.

I take it that you are on EHU, either at home or elsewhere.

By blowing do you mean that are having to replace fuses, or do you mean that a circuit breaker is tripping?

If you are referring to a circuit breaker is it an MCB tripping on excess current, or an RCD / RCB (the one with the yellow test button), which normally trips for an earth fault? The two functions could be combined in an RCBO (residual current breaker + overload).

Is it a device in the van or in your hose that is as you say "blowing"?

At the moment I can see no direct connection between a problem with the mains supply and your alledged fault with the fridge. This may sound insulting, but to eliminate a possible situation, are you aware that the fridge only operates on 12V when the engine is running?

Alan

Alan

Hi Alan. The circuit breaker in the van is tripping. I’ve traced it to the aircon unit that is an after market figment. I’ve removed the fuse and arranged to have the van checked over in the next week or so. My wife is due to use it for the next week and I’m not the worlds smartest where circuits are concerned. Thanks for thinking about my problem

Archived