Travelling heating query

Manxmaid

We have a Rapido 985M which has 'travelling heating' this is separate from the cab heating and apparently runs from the engine to keep rear seat travellers warm whilst on the road. There are two controls on the dash, temp and fan speed, unfortunately we can only get cold air blasting out from the vent. Can anyone offer any advice? Thanks in advance

Hi we have the similar system on our Rapido 710F. There should be speed control and hot/cold control sliders somewhere on the dash. Our are of the 'old fashioned' stsyle, and situated just underneath, with no inidcataion of which side is hot and which is cold. I have marked them using blue and red stick-on spots....!

Ours tends to be on hot most of the time, even when I move the lever to cold. There is a link under the dash to the engine, and I think this gets stuck.

I have had it done a couple of times by those good folk of Rapido and Wokingham, but still it sticks. If you get someone to move the lever in the cab whilst you follow the linkage under the bonnte, you should be able to fix it.

Hope this is of some help - my new motorhome (Burstner) will have a similar idea, but you cannot control it from the cab, and have to dash back to the actual unit in the rear of the motorhome to adjust it - fun if travelling on one's own, I guess......

It is a horrible piece of enginnerring !

The heater control rotates a quadrant of plastic behind the the panel and if not used regularly the whole lot just sticks and jams until the knob is twisted off in anger !

I have not been brave enough to ask the price of a repacement unit

I have disconnected the bowden cable and adjust the heat by using the control on the engine bay. Hot in winter cold in summer,

Looking at the engine bay the contol is situated more or less level with the top of the radiator on the left hand side. It has a bowden cable that is connected at the top. The bowden cable runs from the back and top of the battery through a hole in the bulkhead. I did disconnected the end ( [pliers to ease the clip off) in the engine bay and try to lubricate the cable but it still stuck.

rgds

Thanks to everyone for your advice, especially Keith, we also have a Bowden cable behind the switch on the dash, this had come apart . John reconnected it and the travelling heating now works well.

Do you know where we could get some information on inverters? We have a small one which we used in our previous 'van for charging the mobiles, running his shaver etc but am unsure if it will be big enough to run the tv/digibox etc. when we are not on hookup.

We really appreciate your help, thanks again.

All you should need to do is look at the output of the converter, presumably in Watts, and compare this with the consumption ratings on your TV/digibox.  If the TV + digibox consume less than the converter produces, it should be sufficient.  The only problem would be if you needed to charge the mobile while shaving and simultaneously watching digital TV, and the combined load exceeds the output from the converter!

Archived