Scotland in June

cmac

Hi are you a member of any of the clubs ? we enjoy Scotland and you can avoid the midge if you stay away from the lochs such as at Luss, Ardgarten. We went from Edinbrugh up to Rosemarky last year. There are plenty of sites around Blair Athol and Pitlochry which is a lovely area. Moffat is a good stopoff site just a short walk from the town. We find that the roads are much better in Scotland it is much more relaxing than going South less conjestion and a much slower pace. Somebody is going to disagree with me I know BUT each to their own. :-D

As a postscript to my last thread - if you are going to Scotland you will want to visit Edinbrugh if you do the CC site is a nice site with good walks along beside the Forth and you can catch a bus outside the gates that will take you into the city centre.

Guest starspirit

Why the clubs Maggy?

When we used club sites in Scotland years ago they were just as midgy as anywhere else.

In fact the two club's sites near Arrochar were generally accepted as being amongst the most midge infested in Scotland.

Some folks might want to go to Edinburgh city centre but others will not?

There are as many midges inland as on the coast because it is water and heathland that they like to live around and not neccessarily the coast, unless that too is a bit wet.

You can get just as badly bitten anywhere in Scotland as anywhere else, except maybe the East coast which is generally drier with less marsh and bogs - but don't bank on it because the little bu##ers can get there too sometimes.

I mentioned the clubs because of the sites books not the midges ! and you can be bitten anywhere by midges the only difference is the size. We spend a lot of time in Scotland and the only place that we moved from in a hurry from was Ardgarden. I sujested that they might like to visit Edinbrugh because of the ease of getting into the city and also there is Leith were Britania is docked I was trying to be helpful as that was the original purpose of the thread.

go get 'em maggyd.

Personally I think that Glasgow has much more character and tend to stay at the exorbitantly expensive site at Balloch and train in; but Edinburgh should be visited at least once - we went a couple of years ago on an absolutely cracking day and had a great time. Just try to avoid the really touristy times - like the festival, and take some of the Edinburgh based authors for light reading and atmospheric detail. Can recommend Ian Rankin and Alexander McCall Smith; curl up with your DEET and antihistamine and enjoy!!

B-) 

Hi Twooks you know we haven been to Glasgow (that is to stay) mind you we missed a turning when we were towing a caravan and ended up driving up I think it was Sockihall Street we stopped and asked a policeman that was standing on a corner they were having a visit from Maggy Thatcher he directed us out .

Archived