Advice for second trip into Europe

kevandali

Sorry Kev, missed a bit of your question, we actually did it using Tesco vouchers > P&O ferries Portsmouth > Bilbao and then Zeebrugge > Hull co's we live about 30 miles from Hull. But you could come back Dover/Calais and I think they regard that as a valid return rather than 2 single trips which are more expensive. Tesco also give the option of using the Tunnel.

B-)

ps I make it kilometres not miles, go to mappy, and ask for route from Bilbao to Calais via Royan and St Nazaire. It does mean you've got a boring ish slog along the A28 etc to Calais  - http://www.mappy.co.uk/

pps all that stretch has lots of big sites with all facilities, plus endless beaches,

Guest JudgeMental

Northern Spain a great destination on its own rights. Picos Mountains being a highlight. Along coast and down into Northern Portugal making for a relaxing and different flavour holiday then the Mediterranean. Sweden is a favourite of ours with proper wilderness and bear parks which delighted the children when they where younger! (Bears being fead a whole dead cow!) When the children were younger this is the kind of holiday we had and within the next 2-3 year will be returning to a more touring based, non booking itennary…

But with Teenage children (13 & 15) to consider? There needs are simple, not too much travelling. Lots of other kids that they can hang out with. Access to water & table tennis and a bike, is all they need for a memorable holiday. My needs are simple a pile of good books!

Your initial triangle plan is a good one and has served us well. I tend to get an evening crossing then drive down overnight (easier with sat nav) this way the family sleep on journey. Then I normally pull in on an Aire around 3-4 in the morning and we all jump into bed for a few hours. Then it’s up, a quick breakfast somewhere and I can be at a site by lunchtime in either, The Alps or Dordogne or west coast starting our holiday.

So it may go:

Calais -Carnac (southern Brittany) – Vendee – Dordogne - Calais

Or

Calais – Dordogne – Mediterranean Spain – Calais

Or

Calais – Dordogne – Mediterranean France- Calais

Or

Calais- Alps(lake Annercy ) - cote de azure (my favourite) - Calais

Or

Calais- Mossel River – Lake Constance-Austria- Italian lakes - Calais (summer 2007)

If you want specific details of any sites in these areas happy to help but like I said earlier the best ones are reserved quickly.

Thanks for all the advice, at the moment for a multitude of reasons both kids might abandon us this year and we will have to go on our own!!

Not sure wether to :-D or :'( probably a bit of both and then stack up on the books!!!!

Even so, the destination will remain the same but the main difference would be that it would be an Aire/wildcamp type holiday as opposed to campsites.

Will check out ferrry prices because at the moment Bilbao is looking good.

Cheers

Kevandali

Get the kids a dvd player for travelling and head for Camping Le Lac Bleu on Lake Annecy, at Doussard. Its worth the few hours extra travel You can camp on the lake side I recommend booking as it gets busy in school hols. You can go dover Calais as its cheaper than sailing to Brittany.

Guest JudgeMental
zizou - 2007-02-11 6:27 PM

Get the kids a dvd player for travelling and head for Camping Le Lac Bleu on Lake Annecy, at Doussard. Its worth the few hours extra travel You can camp on the lake side I recommend booking as it gets busy in school hols. You can go dover Calais as its cheaper than sailing to Brittany.

Yes, agree a lovely site. and "Europa" up the road a bit is nice as well.

Saying that "Du Lac Blue" is the only site where we have been the victims of theft (some of sons clothes) It was a gang of French kids from another site up the road. the site where hopeless, and refused to call the police.

Hi,

I cant see how anyone can save money buy using Tesco vouchers. You spend more money in there, because of thier prices shop where its cheaper and get a good deal on ferry fare.

Just as an example we use Tesco online shop for work the average shop has gone up by around £100 over the last few months, and we are talking buying the same things each time, just shows how their prices have gone up.

David

Go for :-

Honfleur, Normandy, great little town, cheap eating Aire on the Quayside holds thousands. Easy one day from Calais

The Loire Valley, do the chateauxs and the booze, stay off the A10 Autoroute, damn pricey.

You can call in at Futuroscope at Poitiers on the way down South keep the kids amused and they might learn something.

Down to Biarritz FANTASTIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! beaches just the best. The kids will love the beaches erindoors will love the shops, you can stay right on the Beach at Bidart in camping Royal Pavilion, Tres pricey though, but the location is to die for. Lifeguarded swimming and it is simply great warm water and great breakers to splash around in.

Buses into Biarritz with some very posh shops, Galerie Lafayette n all that.

Big Intermarche handy too for cheap food and booze.

if you want to go Cheapo there is an Aire at Bidart, gets crowded just across the road from the Beach.

Try surfing, just a great holiday with kids this one.

Forget Italy too far with kids

Hope this helps

Archived