Getting BBCi 'Red Button' Services on 40cm Dish

derek500

Just a little tip on getting BBCi interactive services if you are out of the UK and out of range of the Astra 2d transponder.

If you are using a Sky Digibox, go to BBC Parliament on 504. This channel is broadcast on the south beam so you can receive it with a very small dish all over Europe, (e.g where I live we need a 1.9m dish to get the usual BBC/ITV/C4). I can get 504 on a 40cm plastic Lidl dish.

From that channel, via the red button you can get BBC News 24, along with Showbiz, Sports and Business feeds etc.

If you have an FTA, non Sky box you can get the 'Red Button' BBC1/BBC2 services. These include loads of sports that aren't covered on the main networks plus entertainment/concerts etc.

To get these 'streams' you need to either do a full channel scan on Astra 28º or the easier way to find them is to do it manually.

Enter the frequency:- 12441

Polarity: V

SR: 27500

FEC 2/3

When you search you will find on this transponder

Radio 2

Radio 4

(both of these radio stations were put on the south beam after an influx of complaints from expats who lost Terry Wogan and R4 when the BBC changed to 2D!!)

and the seven different BBCi 'Streams'.

If there is no broadcast using them there is a voice over and a blue graphic.

Unfortunately you can't get these 'streams' to work using the 'add channels' option on the Sky Digibox.

Derek

• 2 months later...
derek500 - 2007-01-30 9:59 PM

If you have an FTA, non Sky box you can get the 'Red Button' BBC1/BBC2 services. These include loads of sports that aren't covered on the main networks plus entertainment/concerts etc.

Using the above method was able to watch the Grand National via a BBC stream, on a non Sky box with our Maxview Crankup 66cm dish in Alicante, where you need at least a 2.4m dish to get BBC1.

Thanks to Derek for this little gem. I missed it too as I was on my way to Portugal on the date of the first post. Could have done with it a day or two earlier! :->

I've passed it on to David Sullivan at 'Satellite for Caravans' website as I'm sure many South Beam users are similarly unaware of this capability.

Thanks again Derek.

Regards,

Nobby

• 3 months later...

Archived