101 Reasons To Cover Your Truma Outlet...

kevina

Difficult to say exactly but they look like Cluster Flies, Pollenia rudis or Musca autumnalis.

I would guess that your van is parked near a field or pasture?

They breed in earthworms and then in autumn look for a hibernation site - commonly in lofts but any nook or cranny will do. Unpleasant but not a "dangerous" to health fly. 

Prevent them by covering outlets or by using a flyscreen mesh cover.

(These critters are a huge pest of country houses which are surrounded by fields and in autumn can invade in their millions. I advised one Estate house where we took out several large black bin liners full from an attic bedroom over a 4 week period!)

Wow, a fly expert!!

Yes we are in the countryside, I find these all around the cab doors and I have a perennial problem with flyspots on everything. This is probably 8 or 9 years worth and they were at the bottom of the exhaust pipe We use the van autumn and winter so I'm not sure if they have been through the combustion chamber or whether they came in through the exhaust and dried up once the burner was fired up.

The reason the truma is out,by the way, is because the circulating fan motor has failed. We've used it a lot (2 months autumn then 2 months skiing for 8 years) but this year it started making a noise and stalling which is when I found that one of the outlet ducts buried under the Rapido kitchen had come off. Judging by the scorch mark on the floor under the outlet I guess the fan motor had been running a bit too hot!

I think I'll put in an extra fresh air return duct too.

laimeduck - 2018-11-15 4:30 PMDifficult to say exactly but they look like Cluster Flies, Pollenia rudis or Musca autumnalis.

They breed in earthworms and then in autumn look for a hibernation site - commonly in lofts but any nook or cranny will do. Unpleasant but not a "dangerous" to health fly. 
(These critters are a huge pest of country houses which are surrounded by fields and in autumn can invade in their millions. I advised one Estate house where we took out several large black bin liners full from an attic bedroom over a 4 week period!)

Jeremy,Please could you turn off 'Use rich edit box when composing messages?' in your User Control Panel to make your posts easier to read.Thanks.Keith.

I had trouble with my Truma heating system this year. It would start then run for a few minutes then stop with the red LED on. I decided to clean out the inlet / exhaust system. I removed the pipe from the inlet /outlet fitting, ( balanced flue ) system, and sucked through the pipes with a vacuum cleaner, I could not believe the amount of rubbish that came out , it cured the problem.

Brian B.

Took the van out for some exercise today and noticed flies in the passenger door seal. Then just read this so though I’d check the Truma outlet. Yikes! Unscrewed it and a couple flew out then a whole load when I fired up the boiler. Sitting in the van now wondering if I need to disconnect the flue to clear it or whether.they’ve left or been burnt off. Maybe next week’s job. Nasty smell too!

Thanks for the warning.

Keithl - 2018-11-15 5:21 PM
laimeduck - 2018-11-15 4:30 PMDifficult to say exactly but they look like Cluster Flies, Pollenia rudis or Musca autumnalis.

Jeremy,Please could you turn off 'Use rich edit box when composing messages?' in your User Control Panel to make your posts easier to read.Thanks.Keith.
Why is that please Keith?  Looks OK to me?

laimeduck - 2018-11-15 9:10 PM
Keithl - 2018-11-15 5:21 PM

Why is that please Keith?  Looks OK to me?
Because it uses a light grey font and puts loads of line breaks in. If you look at the 'quote' of your post you'll see < > and 'div' all through it.Keith.

...Why is that please Keith?  Looks OK to me?

Jeremy

The 'Use rich edit box when composing messages?’ Profile-option is described here

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Code-of-Conduct-and-User-Guidelines/Forum-User-Guide/You-and-your-profile/3990/

The option allows a degree of ‘word processing’ (though the feature works poorly for Mac users) including font selection and sizing, bolding, italicising and underlining of text. But there’s little point in having the rich-edit option enabled (set to YES in one’s Profile) if such features are not being exploited.

The real bugbear for me is, if I want to ‘partially’ quote a person’s posting and that person has rich-edit enabled, (as Keith says) the to-be-quoted text is displayed as a single block full of ‘control commands’ and this can really complicate cutting and shutting the text.

So - unless there’s a REALLY good reason to have the rich-edit option set to YES - I suggest that all forum-members set it to NO.

(The rich-edit option defaults to NO, so you must have changed it to YES yourself at some stage.)

Derek Uzzell - 2018-11-16 9:13 AM

...Why is that please Keith?  Looks OK to me?

Jeremy

The 'Use rich edit box when composing messages?’ Profile-option is described here

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Code-of-Conduct-and-User-Guidelines/Forum-User-Guide/You-and-your-profile/3990/

The option allows a degree of ‘word processing’ (though the feature works poorly for Mac users) including font selection and sizing, bolding, italicising and underlining of text. But there’s little point in having the rich-edit option enabled (set to YES in one’s Profile) if such features are not being exploited.

The real bugbear for me is, if I want to ‘partially’ quote a person’s posting and that person has rich-edit enabled, (as Keith says) the to-be-quoted text is displayed as a single block full of ‘control commands’ and this can really complicate cutting and shutting the text.

So - unless there’s a REALLY good reason to have the rich-edit option set to YES - I suggest that all forum-members set it to NO.

(The rich-edit option defaults to NO, so you must have changed it to YES yourself at some stage.)

Keith & Derek OK done.

Of course I never saw my text quoted because to my knowledge I have never quoted myself, or if I did I didn't need to read it.

I believe I enabled it to use underline, which helps emphasise a word or phrase. I dislike emoticons (which some seem to think have a similar function?) So like to have some word processing capabilities to hand to avoid over long explanations.

Hey ho - that's progress for you?

Looks like this might be a cornish thing?

I’m plagued with these flies every autumn. They take refuge for the winter, loads of them, between the door panel gaps and you get a load of them inside when you open either cab door. Later they emerge from the dark recesses of the van as things warm up and I’m driving along! In my previous van they managed to get between the headlining and van roof only to periodically appear inside the lens of the interior light!

I keep a boat which suffers with the same problem. When the sail is folded down over the boom and covered with a sail bag, literally thousands of them take refuge in the sail folds. There’s always a few queen wasps in there too.

No problems with those flies (touch wood) but we have similar issues with ladybirds nesting in huge numbers between the edges and frames of our patio door and windows over the winter. First noticed it last year and they are back again this autumn. They don't seem to do any harm, although occasionally one or two seem to make it through into the house.

• 10 months later...

"No problems with those flies (touch wood) but we have similar issues with ladybirds nesting in huge numbers between the edges and frames of our patio door and windows over the winter. First noticed it last year and they are back again this autumn. They don't seem to do any harm, although occasionally one or two seem to make it through into the house."

Mothstop, lavender scent will get rid of them. We had hundreds of very spotty ones between the secondary glazing panels, gone now.

Wonkybass - 2019-09-27 4:45 PM

I’ve posted a longer piece on Motorhome Fun but have just found and fitted a cover to stop bugs. Plastic Express supply a ‘105 - 115mm flexible cap” which I have found fits snuggly over the outlet cowl.

When overwintering the motorhome I cover the Truma Combi’s external cowl with a suitable-size plastic ‘pot’ (yoghurt,salad, etc.) with a strip of rubber self-amalgamating tape round the edge to make a tight seal.

Archived