Fuel Cells

RonB

Our next motorhome is coming with an Eberspacher Combitronic heating system and a single 110amp battery. We mostly use campsites but at times like to be off mains hook up for up to 3 nights at a time, in cold weather, before moving on. From info gathered from the forum and elsewhere the standard single battery would probably only be good for one day. A second battery would likely extend this to two days, and a 60w solar panel perhaps a bit more. This would still leave us short of what we need or at least biting our nails watching the battery readings drop! I am looking at a worse scenario here allowing that in cold weather batteries are not going to be at their best, as is the case with solar panels due to the lack of light in winter.

I then became aware of fuel cells following Clive's article in MMM and have been labouring over the numerical calculations ever since. It seems to me that a single battery using 85amps a day in conjunction with a 10ltr fuel cell cartridge (putting in 4.2amps and using 1.1ltrs per kilowatt/hour) would give well over a weeks supply and give us what we want?

Questions; Are my, admittedly dodgy, figures correct? Apart from the need to cart perhaps another 20ltr of liquid and the fuel cell around (we have the spare payload) am I missing something? What are the negatives?

I would love some feedback on this one, especially from anyone with experience of the fuel cell system.

Guest starspirit

Have you seen the price of fuel cells?

Our Starspirit had a single 110 ah battery and it never lasted less than 48 hours without a recharge.

It now has 2 x 110 ah batteries which should in theory last twice as long but in practice will not due to Sodde's law.

However as we rarely stay put more than 48 hours that is rarely a problem, and even if it is a 20 minute run of the engine at tickover usually puts enough back to get warm again for the balance of your three days. You could even do this as a matter of course after two nights maybe?

A second (or even a third)leisure battery is cheap enough solution and perhaps the supplying dealer will fit for you. This is easy or hard depending where the original sits but the wiring is a doddle once you know what you are doing.

Simple solutions are often the least complicated and most cost effective.

Richard - Thanks for your reply. When you say your 110ah battery lasts for 48 hours are you talking about winter use and with a diesel heater running? I only ask as it seems at odds with previous postings on the subject. The other problem is that it appears that batteries don't have to be actually flat for the Eberspacher not to fire up, just a bit down seems to be enough.

Colin - The 4.2 amp cell retails for around £1900.

Guest starspirit

Yes Ron, it does last about 48 hours but it must be said that it is not severe winter use - UK January with light frosts, rain and gales - plus we tend to turn it off during the day from about 10.00 am to about 4.00 pm.

In which case I guess severe winter 24 hour use would drain one 110ah battery in not much more than 24 hours. Apologies if I mislead you.

Thanks Richard. You didn't mislead me at all, I just wanted to be clear that we were talking like for like. I am thinking of temperatures around zero which means constant light running at least. I should have made this clear.

Guest starspirit
Go for broke Ron with three new leisure batteries in parallel and keep the old one handy with a lightweight jump lead just in case!

RonB - 2007-02-02 12:44 PM

Colin - The 4.2 amp cell retails for around £1900.

Ouch! at that price for occasional use I would start engine to recharge battery, if the price is a reflection of energy used to manufacture then it would be more enviromentaly friendly.

Thanks everyone for your input, its all food for thought. My priority is one of convenience when campsites are not available, like at ski stations. Running the engine is a possibility but I dont like to do it if others are around (and no jokes please about the heater!).

Whats LOL Michele, yet another system?

Guest starspirit
If you run the engine on tickover for fifteen minutes or so not only will you very likely have no problems with your leaisure battery your main battery will appreciate it too especially if it is very cold.

Archived