MIRO Again

Kennyd

There used to be an EC Directive (EC 92/21 if I remember correctly) that standardised the definition of a motorhome’s Mass In Running Order, but that was surperseded.

Nowadays, the formula that produces a MIRO datum for a new motorhome is whatever the motorhome manufacturer specifies in their technical literature, and that specification may or may not include a 5% +/- build-weight ‘fudge factor’.

MIRO now has to fall within the EU standard EN 1646-2 [cost you a few hundred quid to get a copy!] The standard specifies requirements intended to ensure the safety and health of people when they use motor caravans for temporary or seasonal habitation. The standard moved us away from a clearly defined MIRO to one that gives manufacturers some freedom of expression.

You will have to read the manufacturers definition for each motorhome. EU countries should not vary from the EU standard.

The +-5% reflects that there will be some variation in weights during manufacture and, also as a whole, EU weighbridges tend to work within a +-5% tolerance.

Thanks for the replies, pretty much as I thought

At 5 ton max weight with a MIRO of 3800 kg & 1200 kg payload, it seems 5% plus could loose me 190kg

I lost 200 kg when upping the spec ( gearbox/engine/awning etc ) then possibly 190 kg

That could be almost one third of my payload gone lol

I’ll have to get it on a weight bridge & check

Derek Uzzell - 2018-12-23 8:23 AM

There used to be an EC Directive (EC 92/21 if I remember correctly) that standardised the definition of a motorhome’s Mass In Running Order, but that was surperseded.

Nowadays, the formula that produces a MIRO datum for a new motorhome is whatever the motorhome manufacturer specifies in their technical literature, and that specification may or may not include a 5% +/- build-weight ‘fudge factor’.

It’s a Dethleffs I have , I have tried looking for their definition of MIRO but have been unsuccessful

Clearly defined at the last page here:

https://www.dethleffs.co.uk/fileadmin/user_upload/dethleffs/uk/Downloads/Kataloge/2019/PL19_Moca_GB_screen.pdf

The “mass in running order” according to VO (EU) 1230/2012 includes the

empty vehicle weight, the driver’s weight calculated at 75 kg and 90% fuel

capacity as well as the following basic equipment: filled water tank (with

reduced water tank capacity), 1 x 11 kg gas bottle (100% filled) and a cable

reel.

(all subject to +/- 5% variation)

Brock - 2018-12-23 6:03 PM

MIRO now has to fall within the EU standard EN 1646-2....

This standard has been withdrawn and - although it is still referred to in plenty of motorhome manufacturers' brochures/trchnical specifications - it’s EU 1230 / 2012 that now matters.

The following quote is from a brochure for the “Etrusco” motorhome marque

"In accordance with VO (EU) 1230 / 2012 the “mass in running order” includes 20 litres of fresh water, 1 × Aluminium gas bottle (15 kg) and a cable drum (4 kg).”

and it will be seen that no mention is made of weight-allowances for a driver or diesel-fuel, and that the 15kg allowance for an aluminium gas-bottle must either relate to a small-capacity canister or one that is empty. There’s also no mention of a +/- 5% tolerance.

And this comes from a Pilote motorhome brochure

“...Official seating classification and Mass in Running Order are calculated as accurately as possible in compliance with European legislation. These take into account basic and standard equipment with a tolerance of +/- 5%. Mass In Running Order figures include freshwater tanks with a capacity of 20 litres and diesel tanks 90% full, one gas bottle 90% full, but do not include the weight of the driver or other occupants. Available load capacity figures are the difference between Maximum Technically Permissible Laden Mass and Mass In Running Order. The manufacturer undertakes to provide a motorhome with an actual Mass In Running Order within the 5% tolerance of the indicated Mass In Running Order used for type approval...”

This 2015 forum thread discussed the impact on usable-payload of rule-changes

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/news/european-rule-changes-means-more-motorhome-payload

Robinhood - 2018-12-23 9:10 PM

Clearly defined at the last page here:

The “mass in running order” according to VO (EU) 1230/2012 includes the

empty vehicle weight, the driver’s weight calculated at 75 kg and 90% fuel

capacity as well as the following basic equipment: filled water tank (with

reduced water tank capacity), 1 x 11 kg gas bottle (100% filled) and a cable

reel.

(all subject to +/- 5% variation)

Thanks for that , I have been on that page just never read to page 74 ( general information)

I’m guessing they don’t particularly want us to see it

Archived