Aire around Calais

ChrisD

Seasons greeting to everyone

Can you please recommend an aire around Calais which is open now and reasonably secure.

We are travelling Christmas day and want to find a stop no more than 45 minutes from the channel tunnel.

All advice very gratefully received.

If you'd like to be in a pleasant little town, in a nice parking slot, consider Montrieux sur Mer (which isn't by the sea!) which is about 40 minutes S of the port - and it's free!

GPS Latitude Nord : 50.45958 ou 50° 27' 34,488'' Longitude Est : 1.75928 ou 1° 45' 33,408''

Aire gratuite

Avenue des Garennes

62170 Montreuil sur Mer, France

Many thanks everyone. Great recommendations.

We only have a very short break (a week) so were hoping to see at least Lille and Bruges.

We will stay at Wissant as this is perfect for the TGV from Frethun to Lille.

Which leads me to a second question, have any of you ever left your Van at Frethun station car park?

We should only be away 5/6 hours but security is always a concern.

I may make a separate thread of this question.

Thanks again and hope you all have a great Christmas

Chris

One in Calais, open 365 days, €10 per 24 hours, access by credit card. Adjacent to the new municipal campsite "Le Grand Gravelot". Have used site twice, which is excellent, but not aire.

Enter from Rue d'Asfeld. GPS (entry) N50.95949 E1.83276 It is at the western end of the Bassin des Chasses, and just east of Bleriot Plage. All hardstanding on tarmac, and looked fine, if a little severe until landscaping establishes.

Thank you for that Brian. We would never have found that because we were searching for Aires.

Can I ask what is included in the price? it would be cheeky to hope for EHU but our new camper boiler absolutely gobbles gas on heating.

Thank you

Chris

Brian Kirby - 2018-12-23 5:41 PM

Empty waste water free, fresh water €2/100 litres, no electricity. Link to website here: http://tinyurl.com/ycm8vvru - though it looks a little as though someone may just have turned it off for Christmas!

In the following campingcar-infos website entry there is more information about the motorhome ‘aire’ next to the (closed for the winter) campsite at Calais.

https://www.campingcar-infos.com/Francais/cci.php?numero=28620

It’s worth noting the May 2018 comment from John Webb

"First point is there are two bits of paper come out of the machine, make sure you get both to be able to leave! The aire is not the same as the old one which had a certain ambience! It was fairly empty as €10 is a lot for a place with no view and no restaurants or boulongerie near! The bornes are good but another €2. All the pitches slope down and I guess it is for drainage. They are also fairly close together. The aire is next to the new campsite. I will probably go somewhere else in future.”

and there are (more recent) negative comments about the aire’s barrier system here

https://www.campercontact.com/en/france/nord-pas-de-calais-59-62/calais/52972/aire-de-camping-car-rue-dasfeld

Archived