2001 Fiat Ducato 2.8 JTD Gearbox Water

morello

Just joined as I've been reading up for a while about problems with water entering Ducato gearboxes. I'm hoping someone here may be able to help.

This time last year 3rd gear was a problem, the syncro had been going for a while, and second was showing signs of starting to go too. I got the box reconditioned at great expense.

When I got the van back it was very difficult to engage any gear, I was told this was a matter of the box needing to be worn in. Due to the fact I live and work from the van and I had to be gone in a day to work for 6 months. I just drove it as it was, and the changes did ease up, however certain gears, 1st second, and reverse have been causing intermittent problems since.

Had the gearbox oil change 6 months later (August) to maintain warranty on box. Garage said box was fine, but that water was present in the oil that was drained. They cited the drain from scuttle as the most likely cause of ingress. They rerouted the drain (although it is the dog leg version). After a minimal respite from problems, I'm now again having greater difficulties with 1st, second, and reverse.

I'll be getting the oil in the box changed asap, but I assume it will in time only again be filled with water. That was what the garage suggested could be causing the problems with changing gears. Either way, I need to try and make sure I avoid water entering the gearbox.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions that may help me prevent water getting in. I get the impression it's an old story, but I've read varying accounts and suggestions of what may be going on.

Thanks, I have read that post, I think it relates to a later model.

I should probably also mention that the speedo has been making a ticking noise for around a year, getting worse before the last gearbox oil change, then quietening down, and now making a worse noise again most recently.

Have you tried posting your question in the Ducato section of fiatforum.com ?

There’s a wealth of knowledge on there.

Its helpful if you include as much technical spec. about your vehicle as you can to aid any diagnosis

A VIN No. is always useful.

Good luck.

Hi,I had the problems you mention engaging gears,sometimes turningoff engine to get reverse,it took me a long time to realise the clutch cable had stretched slightly overtime,a 10 minute adjustment and all is well,i have to do this now again, hope this works for you if you have nqt aiready tried.

Archived