UNMARKED POLICE CARS

Cattwg

The incident below was advised to me by a female cousin. Although it's not strictly motorhome information I thought it important to pass it on.

"A bit of useful advice (from the Association of Industrial Road Safety Officers) - it is true, someone has asked the Dorset/Norfolk Police. It's been said that this number works in the UK - thought you should know this ... the number, does work from a mobile. This actually happened to someone's daughter.

Lauren was 19 yrs old and in college. This story takes place over the Christmas/New Year holiday break. It was the Saturday before New Year at about 1.00pm in the afternoon, and Lauren was driving to visit a friend, when an UNMARKED police car pulled up behind her and put its lights on.

Lauren's parents have 4 children (of various ages) and have always told them never to pull over for an unmarked car on the side of the road, but rather wait until they get to a service station, etc.

So Lauren remembered her parents' advice, and telephoned 112 from her Mobile phone. This connected her to the police dispatcher. She told the dispatcher that there was an unmarked police car with a flashing BLUE light on his rooftop behind her and that she would not pull over right away but wait until she was in a service station or busy area. The dispatcher checked to see if there was a police car where she was and there wasn't and he told her to keep driving, remain calm and that he had back-up already on the way. Ten minutes later 4 police cars surrounded her and the unmarked car behind her.

One policeman went to her side and the others surrounded the car behind. They pulled the guy from the car and tackled him to the ground.........the man was a convicted rapist and wanted for other crimes. I never knew that bit of advice, but especially for a woman alone in a car, you do not have to pull over for an UNMARKED car. Apparently police have to respect your right to keep going to a "safe" place. You obviously need to make some signals that you acknowledge them i.e., put on your hazard lights or call 112 like Lauren did. Too bad the mobile phone companies don't give you this little bit of wonderful information. So now it's your turn to let your friends know about 112".

I have no further knowledge and simply pass this on in good faith.

Regards Cattwg.

God Jackie ,

they are not all pigs

;-) some are human with sons & daughters and if not, they might still be human. Mind you, not alot of em.

Thanks for the info on 112 I never knew that.

The Police never ask the public to pull over in an unmarked car. They always get a marked car . If and I say if, you ever have this happen to you there is no law even if the officer is in uniform.

He must get a marked unit to stop you and then they can stop you and introduce the unmarked unit. Never pull over & never be affraid of using the mobile in this situation as it would be a silly unmarked copper if he nicked you . Called Mitigating Circumstances.. I think he would be in trouble. ;-) (lol)

I find this information quite surprising about not having to stop for an un marked car, even if it has blue lights going. I've seen plenty of people getting stopped on motorways by un marked cars for speeding, I've also been stopped by an un marked police car with a police driving instructor in it.

I have never seen an un marked police car with a blue light on the roof though, they are usually inset into the grille at the front and in the rear window.

Yes 112 is an emergency number that works in the UK but so is 999 and that should also work from a mobile.

I'm sorry to say I'm not convinced by this story.

D.

suppose I should've put a ;-) on that post, but it's a hassle just now! [if admin is reading this - help ? ]

there are rules on when you are officially pulled over, but I doubt I'd remember what they were in the heat of the moment,

but like Dave, I am a bit suss on the story - has a feel of an urban myth to it; useful reminders perhaps to be careful but . .. ..

and we should spread the word more about 112

B-)

I think you'll find that you do have to stop for unmarked Police cars, however if you are unsure and signal that you acknowledge their presence and proceed to a well lit area or place where there are other people present you would not be critisied or reported. It is just common sense, if unsure don't do it.

I feel the comment about pigs is a little un called for though.

Dave, You are quite right the Police do have unmarked cars with blue lights in the grill they also have singel blue lights not often seen, not so common. Never the less still around. You do not have to stop for these

The law say's under the Road traffic Act

You are required to stop for a Police Constable in uniform.

Fire Officers also have unmarked cars that have blue lights in the grill .

Does anyone suggest that we stop for these .

They do not have powers to stop.

If you fail to stop when it is obvious ie, there are 4 units 3 marked and they are travelling together and you are being stopped by the unmarked unit. You might be done.

If you then decide to fail to stop for the unmarked unit you would be asked with a marked unit.

You can only be found guilty if proved, that you knew beyond resonable doubt. In this case 3 marked units.

Stew

The term is an endearment that I use for Hubby him being a copper and is quite often used by the public sorry to upset anyone.

Archived