Home Insurance

Guest starspirit

Guest starspirit

Most insurers have a 30 day property unoccupation clause in their policies.

Camping and Caravanning Club Care home insurance allow up to 180 days of unoccupation at no extra cost and their quote was already quite competitive.

Norwich Union will extend the 30 day period at extra cost, but they failed to say how long for and how much for, although their quote was a bit less than CCC.

twooks - 2007-02-02 9:02 PM

Comfort Insurance apparently combine Home / Building / Travel Insurance for 60 days as standard, with extensions if required - don't know how competitive they are though.

B-)

We have the combined insurance through Comfort (Norwich Union) I've not shopped around for the last two years so I don't know how they compare. You can get combined cover (travel/medical/buildings and contents) up to 180 days. At our age we decided to stay with one insurer for all our cover, not many insurers want you as new business when you are approaching your mid seventies 8-) Anyway if there is a problem with a claim covering van contents/house policy they can argue amongst themselves about the pay out.Don

Don,

I think that makes a great deal of sense. There comes a point when going for the cheapest insurance quote for each item actually makes for too much hassle and potential problems.

By the way, I extended our Norwich Union Direct Home Insurance from 30 to 60 days without extra cost. They will also go beyond 60 days at a cost. But I'm unlikely to want more than 60 days at present and, if I do, my sis-in-law will willingly house sit for us for a week and I understand that that restarts the counter.

Mel E

====

Guest starspirit
Someone sleeping in the house for just one night resets the 30 day counter so all you have to do is substantiate that someone did so and you might be OK as long as they believe you?

Archived