Disabilty Badge on Frence Motorways

chas

Have been reading a thread on another forum that someone had recieved a reduction on showing a blue disabilty badge to the toll operative who phoned to check first. Has anyone knowledge of this happening on Frence motorways. chas

see this: http://www.autoroutes.fr/voyage/pratique_classification.php it actually says that specially adapted vehicles will be classed as Class 1 rather than Class 2. That - to me - does not give the reduced rate to holders of the blue badge - but you may benefit from it. Although I've never understood why blue badge holders should have a financial advantage??

B-)

Jackie,

I think it's because of the disability and all that,? No work no income and so on . But I don't actually know the law but going by the children they will never be independant and the rate is not a good one.

People can not live on this . Thats whats I thinks? (?)

Hi Michele,

Sore point with me. A neighbour, mid-50s, last job seems to have been milk-monitor at school, boasts that he is receiving £1500 per month in benefits. That includes interest only payments towards his mortgage....house is now on market for £50,000 more than he paid for it two years ago.

Says he has a bad leg....doesn't stop him swinging a sledge hammer.

Rant over, and I know there are more deserving people recieving much less.

Hi Twooks- In this country the blue badge allows disabled people park in advantages parking bays so not needing to walk or travel too far, as regards free parking in council run car parks many money grabbing councils have taken that away from them, ie Devon and Dorset and probably others. Ask any disabled person if they would give up any concessions recieved in return for being fit and healthy, I think you SHOULD know the answer. chas

I have no problem with genuine disabled drivers or passengers using disabled parking bays, but I get annoyed when able bodied drivers use them. Last week I was sitting in the car in our local supper market car park, three cars with just the driver in parked in the disabled bays, all the drivers got out and rushed of to do there shopping. All had blue badges in the winscreen, perhaps obtained to take granny out?

Hi Marcob- I know what you are saying, but what a lot of people think is that the disabled should be in wheelchairs, ordragging themselves along on crutches ect, but there are many disabilitys such as breathing problems and acute walking pain that is not readily seen. If anyone is caught using a badge that does not belong to the driver or passenger then its a £1000 fine and loss of the badge, and rightly so. chas

Yes I have seen them especially when I pull up with both the children and have to sod about getting a wheelchair out . Its hard enough work without someone pinching the bay when they are cheeting.

Back to the thread , Chas I may be talking aload of C***p I don't think you can get anything free for us brit's in France even though were all in Europe . But there has been something done like this before I think Don came up with a link. .. Goodluck Chas.

As for the amount of benefits sorry I was only talking about DLA .Which is not alot...

marcob - 2007-02-03 10:53 AM

All had blue badges in the winscreen, perhaps obtained to take granny out?

But unless granny was actually with them it's illegal.

My wife has one and it means that I can drive her to the shops etc. and use it but not on my own. Mind you I might give that impression sometimes if I return to the car to dump shopping in the boot. I'm obviously able bodied but she's still in the shop somewhere hobbling back :-S

I usually juggle 2 disabled bages, 1 for each parent, both can walk short distances with stops - but to be honest the best bit about disabled parking is the extra width bays means I can always open the car doors to their fullest extent, otherwise it's a nightmare trying to get them out.

Financial support is a hard question, means testing is a horrible thing - but not everyone needs the same degree of financial support and I wondered what the logic was? So thanks for that Michele.

I also don't understand why the state pension goes up [by a ludicrously nominal amount admittedly] at the age of 80.

but then - I also don't understand einsteins theory, how electricity works, why toast falls buttered and marmaladed side on really expensive carpets .. .. .. .. .. :->

B-)

ps according to the other forum, they have had reductions on motorhomes at peages

Chas,

Sorry O/T . Did people know that it was illegal to take DLA tax free .

You must only use the car indierct relation to the disabled person.

they do not have to be in the vehicle but it's use must be for them.

If you lived else where and you had to go to there house to pick them upthen as long as you go directly that's fine . And the same to return home . but you must use it soley for there purpose and not to swan about in. In london its seen as a freeby and lots of people abuse it.

*-)

The Blue Badge is recognised in most European countries. When you display it on the dashboard, it allows you to make use of the same parking concessions that the country you are in allows its own citizens with disability.

The concessions differ from country to country, however. So it is important

to know where, when and for how long you can park. And as important, when and where you can’t park. The downloadable leaflet explains the concessions for each individual country.

http://tinyurl.com/2d2kay

Incidentally the Blue Badge Scheme does not apply in the City of London,

the City of Westminster, the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea and

part of the London Borough of Camden.

I find it hard to believe but it's all here http://tinyurl.com/2yu7v9

I wonder what other areas don't recognise the BB.

Regards

Don

Thanks for all the information, I am aware that the M6 toll does offer concessions after you have applied for the correct permit and paid a fee. I am still not sure that Frence motorways offer any concession for E.U members with a valid badge, so it looks like it will have to be seen if they do on my next visit there. If successfull I will let interested forum members know. chas

Hi Chas,

I was not being disparaging to genuinely disabled people, and I agree that you can not always see that they are disabled. Nor can you see if somebody who is NOT registered disabled has any problems. We once suffered a silent tirade from a lady in a wheelchair who obviously considered that we were able bodied enough to not use the lift on a ferry. We did not consider that we needed to explain to her that my wife has trouble with her knees, and the ferry company had been informed and had arranged for us to park near a lift.

My wife has been disabled since birth, but gets very upset if I suggest she should register. On the other hand, it appears that 25% of the population of our local town are registered disabled....and as far as I know, that figure can only be obtained by counting the number of car badges issued.

I am in favour of making facilities available to those that need them, but resent those who demand to be independent by taking (unnecessarily) from my/our facilities. I even resent my son-in-law taking a baby with him when he goes shopping at TESCO......simply to get a parking bay. Convenient for him, inconvenient for everybody else.

I believe the toll on the Severn Bridge is free to badge holders.

W3526602 - 2007-02-04 9:02 AM

I believe the toll on the Severn Bridge is free to badge holders.

It is. You have to sign a form at the booth.

We have used it but I have to admit that I don't really see why being disabled should qualify you to cross the bridge for nothing.

Ralph,

I don't know but if you are abled bodied you can work ..

If you are not you cannot.

The girls I have will never work never put into a pension for old age

so the little they do get should not be spent of crossing a bridge.

Something like that ...... I thinks. *-)

Not disagreeing with you Michelle.

But in this case I (the driver) am able bodied so it seems like a bit of a con to get across the bridge for nothing as long as wife is with me.

Having said that I'm also mean so I take the free crossing. :-S

To answer the original question as far as I am aware there are no concessions on French motorways but I have never asked. Given that different companies operate different motorways there is unlikely to be consistency anyway in much the same way as there is a lack of consistency in this country on bridge tolls and even parking. There are certainly no concessions on the Austrian motorways because I have enquired driven by their high charges and the lack of options for avoidance.

Even where there are concessions, just to put the record straight, it is not always as easy as the general public might think to obtain them. The Severn Bridge is an exception. In most cases you must be in receipt of the higher rate of DLA, i.e fall into the severly disabled bracket and the vehicle in use must be VED free and caryring the disabled person. When the Skye Bridge wasn't free they also used to also demand to see your disability registration certificate.

The West country councils whilst trying to limit free parking for the disabled have got it all wrong. The do this by only allowing those exempt from VED to park free. The result... most use their blue badges and clocks to go and park on yellow lines!! I think this is worse and the councils haven't really achieved anything other than raise the risk of accidents and cause more inconvenience to other road users who have to duck and dive round parked vehicles. The concession to park on yellow lines should also only apply to VED free vehicles.

As to whether the disabaled should pay is a debateable point but, I go along with Micheles' views. Most of the severely disabled are on low income and every little helps and lets not forget the everyday cost of a disablility is not cheap and for those only on benefits, it must be a real hardship. The real value of concessions is the better access offered to those who really need it.

peedee

Peedee,

You have a point there I think that lot's of Councils do get it wrong .

The girls are on the higher Rate BUT, we do not choose to take the free tax disc . Reason being is that we do not soley use the vehicle or any vehice for the children we use them all for me & him as well for our own private use's as well as there's.

So you are quite right for wanting to be an honest citizen because I know lot's of people take the free VED and pertain to use it soley for the disabled persons use. We are penalised just shows you . It does not pay to be honest ........ Still I sleep well at nights. (lol)

Hi,

I was keeping my head down waiting for the flack.....and instead I'm delighted to learn that there are people who not only don't abuse the system, but don't even use it when they could.

Round here, a disabled badge is high on the "Want one of those" list. I could tell you tales that would disgust the genuine amongst you.

I don't know about disabled driver, but bikers get across the Severn Bridge for free. I was told this was because in the early days, bikers would make a big show about how long it took them to access their small change when wearing "levvers". Hmmm, wife is unable to put her right hand out of her car window. She did once try throwing coins into the self service box, not very accurately, she will never do that again. Nowadays, she stops, I get out and walkround to pay.

I suppose when spy-in-sky road charging comes into force, we won't have to pay tolls....until the end of the month. Golly gosh, that might make a disabled badge even more desirable. 8-)

yes don't leave em on display (ha ha) when not using them or you could be in for a hefty bill and a window repaired they are onthe high to get list here as well ... Especially when in london...around the Royal London Hospital...Shame on them. Still wish they would come up against my old man . He has a hidden agenda being the girls . don't like people whom take the michael. Always ready to catch em. Actually thats not true as he is on the Crime desk but in saying that when he used to be out and about he used to come up with so many people arguing over parking spaces and it turns into a punch up at dawn ... one quick look at the badge & Ved and he was off pointing out the law ...Most of these guy;s could run the 400meteres in less then the athletes still carrying a Tv under arm.

Nice Place ......... Actually it probably was it's the people who spoil it...

Archived