Economical Rapido 710F towbar (applies to many Sevel vans)

Guest peter

Finally got a bar for my van. I ended up getting a Standard Bosal one from Towequipe for £100 online. I knew it would be a bit short because of the slight overhang of the conversion, but thought I could modify it. This seemed like a good idea, as I would still need the Standard mounting points anyway, which are the rear spring mounting points (3bolts). To cut a long story short, the Std bar fitted perfectly but was 200mm short of the rear bumper. So I had an extension made up 60mm square tube with a flange welded on each end (£20). One end bolts on to the original ball mounting points and the ball goes on the other. Result really sturdy bar for about £130. This should work on other vans that are not too long and on the LWB chassis as mine is. The 709F springs to mind. The critical measurement is the distance from the rearmost spring mounting bolt and the bumper. I think mine was about 400mm. It really looks the part and I am also thinking of making and fitting bumper protectors each side and bolted to the original bar. I was going to fit one over the full width but thought it would add too much weight. If anyone is interested I could give them more detailed info and pictures.

I don't think you can put them on here, can you? if not I can put them on Photobucket, with a link. If anybody knows how to put pic's in a post please let me know. *-)

Peter

Lovely job Pete but make sure you put a protective plate on the rear of the towball mount so that if you over-run with your trailer etc you don't smack into your lovely motorhome bumper - could be a very expensive towbar if you do! B-)

Thanks for that Mel, But I will mostly be towing a ridgid inflatable dinghy which is will be hitching by hand. But i think I will fit one just in case.

tonyishuk - 2007-02-06 4:33 PM

Hi

Thanks for the PM.

Any chance of a photos of the fixings underneath ? I assume a 710 has the same layout as 709 but would be nice to know otherwise ;-)

Rgds

TonyIshUK

Hi Tony, I tried to get some , but it was a bit dark under there but the Fixing points underneath are as per the std towbar. The three rear spring mounting points each side and don't foul anything on the M/H. If you want detailed fitting instructions go to Towequipe website and you can download them. The fixings are the same on all the Sevel (Fiat-Citroen-Puegeot) chassis from 1994 on) But check on website to be sure.

Archived