Burrs Country Park, Bury Lancs.

harycadbtopenworld.

Have just returned from a weekend at the CC site at Burrs Country Park, Bury Lancs.

We can highly recommend this site. all the pitches are hard standing and level. amenity block is spotless and central to the site.

It is only 1 1/2 miles from the centre of Bury but you are into the countyside. At the gates of the site is The Brown Cow Inn which provides good food and drink at a reasonable cost.

There are numerous walks around the site and the Bury Steam railway passes down one side. With trains at weekend about every hour.

Regards Harry

How this changed very quickly from the way in which it was initially set up. We went in 2006 after it had been opened a couple of weeks and it was a quagmire, apart from the 16 hard Stadndings they had at that time.

The wardens were doing an excellent job, struggling against all odds.

They ask that we give our feedback to the Sites Director, which we did - as no doubt did other members - and we were aware that they had already set up a site meetinjg over the problems.

We were quite interested to read in the CC mag that all of a sudden they changed to increase the number of hard standings, and I think given that it was created on very boggy land in the first place, they obviously decided to go rather belatedly with I think all HS pitches.

Whilst I commend this, surely it showsd a lack of realistic planning, as we were told whilst there, the CC was already aware of the land conditions, so surely thay could have saved themselves a lot of money and wasted effort by doing it in the first place.

In addiiton to the easy walk in to Bury, from where you can cathc the tram to manchester itself, there is a bus service, and when we were there you could buy a 'travel card' for the day which gave freedom on the buses and trams.

We really felt it an excellent site, with great potential, especially once it had matured a bit.

I agree with the site description and the pub is great, however, potential visitors need to be aware that public transport is not available adjacent to the site. It may be an easy walk into Bury but it is a long way, Keith did not say how long it took him to walk it, but older people unless very fit would not attempt it , there is a bus service, the nearest stop was a fair walk away outside the park. When we stayed one weekend last year there were no buses on a Sunday so a taxi into Bury cost £6.00, the driver admitted that the fare was loaded because there was no public transport. Also, although the railway passes close by the site there is no station nearby

Manxmaid - 2007-02-05 2:34 PM

potential visitors need to be aware that public transport is not available adjacent to the site. It may be an easy walk into Bury but it is a long way, Keith did not say how long it took him to walk it, but older people unless very fit would not attempt it , there is a bus service, the nearest stop was a fair walk away outside the park. Also, although the railway passes close by the site there is no station nearby

Hi Manxmaid....

Ok, point taken, I guess it took us about 25 mins or so to walk to Bury itself., and I'm no spring chicken', though in general consider I'm in good health (well hope so anyway!) Once we actually found where the bus stop was, it was maybe 10mins form the site entrance, around a corner on a housing estate!

DOn't know about a 'train' station - there was one fo the steam railaway at Bury, but hte main link to Manchester is by direct Tram, and the bus goes to the tram station in Bury.

Didn't get as far as looking to see if it was weekdays only bus, although often find that is the case in many parts of the UK. Shame really, as I'm sure to many MH-ers (and Caravanners) Sunday is as much a day for doing things and getting out and around as any other day!

While we where in Bury on that weekend, we picked up a 2007 railway timetable for the east lancs railway, and in it there is a statement that they are planning a new station halt at the park. if this goes through it will be ideal for all campers to travel into Bury and beyond. I will keep you posted on any developments.

regards Harry

Archived