NFOP Travel Insurance - Renewal 1 March 2019

arthur49

Our renewal came in today. Premium gone from £275 to £315

BUT check the new policy cover as "Chronic Breathing Condition" is excluded. That is further defined as

- severe Asthma, Asthma with fixed airflow obstruction, night time (nocturnal) Asthma, Obstructive Sleep Apnea

- COPD

- Chronic Bronchitis

- Cystic Fibrosis/ Bronchiectasis

- Emphysema

- Lung Cancer

- Lung Hernia

- Pleural Effusion

- Pneumonia

In my view, me included (asthma), that could impact quite a few people and end up in possible expensive disappointment if taken ill with one of these conditions whilst overseas

hallii - 2019-02-11 2:28 PM

I had my renewal yesterday, same as yours.

I too suffer with asthma but have never been hospitalised, I am on prednisolone at the moment. The nocturnal asthma exclusion rules me out. Maybe it's time to look around?

H

I spoke to the Asthma Nurse at the Surgery this afternoon. She says none of these apply to me - my asthma is considered mild. I've never had a serious attack, never been hospitalised, and appears well under control with steroid Qvar and rarely needed Bricanyl. But this exclusion still makes me a bit nervous as it gives some wriggle room to NFOP in the event of a 'breathing condition' episode whilst overseas

Just reading through the list gives me the impression that the insurance company have tried hard to cover the range of breathing problems.

I wouldn't like to try and take them on in the event of a claim, so, having spent an hour filling in endless quote forms I have decided I will have to stay with them, but accept the lack of cover for asthma. I have other problems that could be a lot more likely to result in a claim, but they seem to have focused on asthma for some reason.

H

hallii - 2019-02-11 7:48 PM

Just reading through the list gives me the impression that the insurance company have tried hard to cover the range of breathing problems.

I wouldn't like to try and take them on in the event of a claim, so, having spent an hour filling in endless quote forms I have decided I will have to stay with them, but accept the lack of cover for asthma. I have other problems that could be a lot more likely to result in a claim, but they seem to have focused on asthma for some reason.

H

Why not just give the Ins.Co a ring and see what they say about Asthma --Mild Asthma?

cheers

derek

They have also reduced the qualifying starting age from, 50 --- 79 years old, to 50---74 years old.

Brian B.

ps I did query the skying clause in section 10,regarding only skying on piste "on NATURALLY laying snow", as most resorts now produce artificially made snow . Fortunately still covered.

Hi,

Just had a conversation via email with NFOP about the chronic breathing condition.

The issue seems to be that if you have a chronic breathing condition as listed, no matter how mild, you are excluded from the scheme and should seek another policy or insurer. Email from NFOP below:

"Thank you for your email. I can confirm that the new conditions relating to chronic breathing conditions are new with the effect from 1st March 2019. Although the conditions are new, they are applicable to all members of the NFOP Scheme whether you’re a brand new member of existing with the scheme.

………. I am very sorry to hear that the insurers new wording means that you can no longer access the scheme. The asthma wouldn’t have been an issue as long as it isn’t severe allergic asthma, fixed airflow obstruction or nocturnal. However, COPD in general is excluded no matter the severity of your case.

You are still eligible to obtain travel insurance through ourselves here at CSIS. If you would like an alternative from us then please give our friendly sales team a call on 01622 766960."

So, I to am in the process of looking around. The CSIS web site does offer some interesting policies but with limited vacation days, e.g. 45days, cover.

Peter

As Peter says, the wording of the policy means that if you have any of the breathing conditions you cannot take out cover. Not just for the existing breathing condition but no cover.

So my assumption that only the existing breathing condition was excluded for cover was wrong, I cant have cover at all! How odd!

I am off to cancel my DD.

H

For anyone looking at travel insurance, take a look at europeplus.co.uk. This site deals very favourably with pre-existing medical conditions. It is recommended from Martin Lewis money saving expert.

Please note........I have no connection or interests with any of the above, it's just that my wife and I got excellent quotes without much fuss.

Thanks,

Madlen.

Archived