Le Havre to Allicante

AndyLou

Hi In April we will be driving from Le Havre to Alicante and back again.

I was thinking on the way down to go via the Millau viaduct and Andorra and on the way back via San Sebastian and the theme park Poy Du Fou.

Does anybody have any recommendations for must see things along the way?

I suspect we do not want to spend too long in France but don't want the driving to be a chore either.

Is it worth avoiding the toll roads or are the other roads so slow it is false economy?

Any other tips would be welcome.

Thanks

Will86 - 2019-02-20 4:35 PM

As this appears to be your first visit then every route and deviation chosen is worthy of a different experience regardless of what it contains. Toll roads have their own particular attraction allowing speedy travel to whatever is your interest.

I would use the Somport Tunnel. You can be in Alicante in 3 days driving.

It is free and a good quick way down to Southern Spain

Wish I was was going

PJay

As your landing in Le Havre why not do the theme park on the way down then go down into Spain via the West side of France to Bayonne then Zaragoza to Alicante. If coming back via Millau viaduct [ which is great] don't miss out Millau town which is very nice with good campsites.

Andy&Lou - 2019-02-20 2:34 PM

Hi In April we will be driving from Le Havre to Alicante and back again.

I was thinking on the way down to go via the Millau viaduct and Andorra and on the way back via San Sebastian and the theme park Poy Du Fou.

Does anybody have any recommendations for must see things along the way?

I suspect we do not want to spend too long in France but don't want the driving to be a chore either.

Is it worth avoiding the toll roads or are the other roads so slow it is false economy?

Any other tips would be welcome.

Thanks

I'll give my standard advice :-), get a guide book for France and another for Spain and look through them for what you find interesting. Than look for campsites or whatever closest to those places, and link them into a route. Make the journey part of the trip.

Generally, the non-toll roads in both France and Spain are good, with France probably better. They are obviously not as quick as motorways and dual carriageways, because the national speed limits are lower and because they go through (but often around) towns and villages, so you see more of the country than droning down motorways - risking boring yourself asleep! You can travel for miles through rural France and hardly see another vehicle. You can even look out of the windows and watch the countryside go by. Bliss!

Archived