IH MOTORHOME QUERY

sandalwood

Hi

I have a 2012 IH. RL. TIO , the drivers seat floor is covered with carpet. I found that it did not seem to give much acceleration, so I pulled up the carpet and found a steel disc fitted on floor. Looked a bit like a boob with a nipple in centre. Please excuse! on driving without carpet it seemed to give more acceleration. The accelerator went right down without carpet! What is this thing on the floor and does the carpet impede acceleration. Can’t find anything in manual. Also with a fully loaded van, what are tyre pressures. My dealer did mine, but it’s a very very hard ride!

Thanks in advance

Ian

Lots of vehicles have a throttle-pedal ‘stop' and on some of these the ‘stop’ goes through the floor covering (eg. carpeting) and prevents the covering from moving. The attached photo is of an Audi A8’s throttle-pedal stop.

If your IH Motorhome’s carpeting is inhibiting the throttle-pedal from moving the full distance that it’s designed to cover, inevitably that will limit the vehicle’s performance. My 2015 Ducato has the type of throttle-pedal stop you’ve described and I bought a carpeting ‘kit’ to cover the cab floor. However, this carpet has in it a circular hole that is directly above the floor-mounted ’stop’, thus allowing the throttle-pedal to travel right down until it contacts the stop.

‘Appropriate’ tyre pressures for a particular motorhome have been discussed here many times before. For informed advice it would be necessary to know the make, exact name and specification-data of the tyres fitted to your motorhome, the weight-related data on your motorhome’s VIN-plate and the axle-weights of your motorhome in fully-loaded state when weighed on a weighbridge.

Audi-A8-D2-PF-Accelerator-Pedal-Stop-Buffer.jpg.13858571b661c42424f679f67c314547.jpg

I had a similar problem with our Hymer. Even with the peddle on the floor it would not rev much above 3000 revs There was no slack in the throttle cable and no height adjustment on the peddle. I cut a hole through the carpet and the plastic floor covering, it now does 4000 revs which I believe is its cut off speed.

Brian B.

sandalwood - 2019-03-03 9:42 PM

What is a carpeting kit and where to get please?

I assume your question was for me...

My 2015 Ducato-based Rapido motorhome was delivered with no carpeting in the cab area. The vehicle is left-hand-drive and I bought the ‘kit’ from a French motorhome dealership.

Your IH motorhome will be right-hand-drive, so retro-fitted floor covering would need to be shaped fror RHD (example here)

https://www.harrisonstrimsupplies.co.uk/fiat-ducato-06-on-1139-p.asp

but as your motorhome already has cab carpeting, unless you are unhappy with it, there seems to be no real reason to replace it.

If the present carpet is restricting throttle-pedal travel, do as Brian has done with his Hymer and cut a hole in the carpet above the position of the ’stop'. If the IH carpet proves prone to fraying when cut, bind the cut edge.

Archived