Field mice in motorhome

Europeair

Suggest a trap in the first instance with chocolate as the bait. Don't be tempted to use poisons because the little blighters will find a hidden corner to pass away and smell!

When the weather is dry crawl underneath the van with a torch and see if there are any obvious holes or gaps.

Gas drop-outs for example should have a mesh gauze fitted over them. Holes around water, gas and electic lines should be sealed to the floor.

A mouse only need a hole the size of a pencil to squeeze through so your search will have to be methodical and thorough.

bil h - 2007-02-05 8:36 PM

Introduce a pussy cat or set traps

I think he said stop them getting in. Not killing them once they are in. I would never needlessly kill a wild creature (rats excepted) as they are becoming endangered enough as it is.

Right.........now to the original query. Check that the cab heater vent is set to recirculate. Check under van for any holes etc as big as a pencil, as a mouse can get in a hole this small including the gas locker. Check fridge vents are at least covered with gauze with no holes. If you have it hooked up you can get an utrasonic deterent from B&q etc which gives out a high pitch sound that scares them away.

Spreading foxes turds around the van might work. But I would prefer the less smelly option. :D

bil h - 2007-02-05 11:37 PM

Wild animals in most cases are a nuisance and should be treated so. They carry diseases.

Really???? >:-(

We used to have mice in our van most years. 2 years ago we were overrun with droppings - easily in the region of 100 droppings. And that was in October. They were on every available ledge, even the fillets of decor.

In the end we went under the van and filled every pipe and cable entry with expanding foam, fireproof foam when necessary. Very large holes we covered with very fine wire mesh, particularly round the fridge vents (remembering the ventilation needed there!) We haven't had a mouse since. Do make sure that you have no resident mice before you seal the van. We took a pair away for a nice weekend with us.

For ordinary farm/house mice chocolate in a trap works wonders. They don't even let go of the chocolate when the neck has been trapped!

I'll tell you a funny tale about mice.

In my early years I had a bench in our coal shed. (How many today know what a coal shed is?)

Anyway we all know they leave tell tale droppings where ever they go

but if you leave white window glazing putty about they leave white droppings !!

It makes an easy way of finding where they go too.

They even chewed a plastic screwdriver handle one time.

We thought we had a mouse in the bathroom so I sprinkled some talc near the pipe boxing and next day there were mouse footprints in the talc and they left a trail of footprints where they went,so I left a small piece of chocolate fudge in the same place that they took away during night ,then I left some more fudge on a trap and they never took it away the trap was too heavy to move with a broken neck.No more mice now. (lol) (lol) (lol)

I have had them in my van and its the damage they cause to furnishings and electrical wiring so i set wooden pressure traps with a peanut as bait its organic food and it sorts the little blighters out. I like chocolate myself,

They have a free run in my shed they say if you can see through a gap they can get in.

Dont forget to set one on top of the engine battery they love the wiring under the bonnet.

Ive tried other methods and failed.

Pete

Archived