gaslow system

terry1956

Guest starspirit

Do you need a twin Gaslow system?

If one bottle is refillable can you not just top it up once a week or whenever it gets low and use your existing Calor as a short term backup in case you can't find a refill point for a day or two?

Just filled up my Gaslow cylinders at the local Autogas petrol station, one 6Kg cylinder was empty and refilled with 11.5 ltrs for £5.39, the savings go on and on.......

I called into the Calor Gas centre, where for nearly 40 years I have been purchasing refill exchange calor gas cylinders at Swindon.

I asked would you mind if I use your Autogas pump to fill my cylinders, through a properly mounted Gaslow refill kit, operator said NO, we are not permitted.

I wonder if that contravenes my human rights?

Regards Terrytraveller

Hi there, yes I do need a twin system, this is due to going away two to three months at a time a bit out of season, due to having two pugs who can,t take the heat of high summer, also in norway gas is a little hard to get at times,and I hate the cold and as we wild camp or use the free sites in europe (well I say free they are free in the main the rest being around 3 to 4 euros per van) Use the heating a lot.

Anyway thanks for the input, will take a look at the link given, is there anything I need to look out for, I have seen connectors on e-bay for gaslow, are these anygood or is it best to get all from the same place.

terry

Hi Terrytraveller

quote I asked would you mind if I use your Autogas pump to fill my cylinders, through a properly mounted Gaslow refill kit, operator said NO, we are not permitted.

I asked the same question at our local Calor Gas refill establishment.

Got the same answer as you, WE ONLY REFILL BOTTLES FOR SUPPLY TO THE TRADE WE ARE NOT PERMITTED TO DEAL DIRECTLY WITH THE PUBLIC

A bit disappointing really as the depot is only half a mile away, our nearest garage supplying Autogas is a ten mile round trip.

Hi Terry,

Have a look at the Gaslow web site, bottom of the PDF brochure to find pictures and part numbers of all the bits you want.

Don't forget the two adaptors you will need, so you can fill in any country.

Have a care when installing and connecting the gas flexible pipes and filler assembly together, read my post on my DIY installation and comments by others. You will find it a straight forward job, but look at some of the hindsight discoveries, it will make the job successful and easier.

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=4829&start=1

Regards Terrytraveller

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your reply, I suppose they must refill the cylinders from a normal Autogas pump then. When I saw their pump, and it was the same as the pumps found in normal filling stations, I assumed that anyone could use it like any self service pump.

I had the feeling that I have seen them fill cars from that pump, but can't be sure.

There is an Autogas filling station in Ocus Road Swindon which according to the Autogas map, charges only 39p per ltr, I will have to verify that when I am out and about.

Regards Terry

Thanks terrytravler, I did read your bit on fitting the system with some interest, good information, Also liked the alame idea, But feel that looks are a bit more of a antithief thing so went for extra outside doorlocks.

On the alame bit I have a M roadster and its fitted with an all singing dancing alame system, not worth the money, the real thiefs know all the ropes and connected the alame up to a laptop, that read the codes and they almost got away with the car, What stoped them??? well I always cut into the fuel pump power feed, and hide a cut out switch, they can,t start the car, total cost of alame at the time fitted 1400 pounds, the switch and a few feet of wire around 2 pounds.

But I do like the idea of your alame system for what was it 20 pounds or so. Keep up the good work, I like what you write.

terry

PS. Any hope of a list of the items I will need for a twin tank system.

Hi Terry,

Below is my list and the Brownhill prices paid at the time. You can of course reuse your gas regulators if they are for propane.

Regards Terry

Brownhills

Description Part No QTY Price

6KG Refillable Cylinder Ref: 01-4006 1 £ 74.99 (Including: VAT )

6KG Refillable Cylinder 2 Ref: 01-4006-2 1 £ 74.99 (Including: VAT)

2nd Cylinder Connector Hose Ref: 01-4200 1 £ 44.00 (Including: VAT)

Filling Kit White Ref: 01-4100 1 £ 50.00 (Including: VAT)

90 Degree Elbow Fitting Ref: 01-4210 1 £ 9.00 (Including: VAT)

Propane Refillable Adaptor Ref: 01-4330 2 £ 17.95 (Including: VAT)

Refill Adaptor French/Italian Ref: 01-4300 1 £ 15.25 (Including: VAT)

Refill Adaptor Europe Ref: 01-4310 1 £ 11.00 (Including: VAT

Total £ 315.13

Rob,

I don't think you need anyone to check the system before you use it, legally anyway! If you check this forum, there are plenty of instances where professional services have installed Gaslow systems with dire consequences, leaks, flexible steel pipe failures caused by incorrect installation etc...

If you feel nervous about any type of work, then there are lots of books,web pages and Forums to read. Above all you must be able to check your work and make sure its safe.

Going on the forum and asking specific questions will be helpful, but can you be sure you have asked all the right questions? I suppose it’s down to meticulous research, so when do you know you have enough knowledge and its safe to proceed? Only you can judge that - or ask a teenager, they know everything!

Regards Terry

Terrytraveller - 2007-02-06 11:20 AM

Hi Terry,

Have a look at the Gaslow web site, bottom of the PDF brochure to find pictures and part numbers of all the bits you want.

Don't forget the two adaptors you will need, so you can fill in any country.

Have a care when installing and connecting the gas flexible pipes and filler assembly together, read my post on my DIY installation and comments by others. You will find it a straight forward job, but look at some of the hindsight discoveries, it will make the job successful and easier.

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=4829&start=1

Regards Terrytraveller

Just fitted my own system 1 6kg bottle plus filling kit. Filled for the first time and accidently put 13 lts in but we used it the next day so didn't worry. We used all 13 lts in 3 days running the heating, fridge and water I would have expected it to last longer. So just in case I have a leak and I did check with a soapy solution but could not find anything, where can I get some of the jointing compound?

I trird a Calor depot but they did not have any.

Thanks

Pete

gaslow also do a warning light which go inside your van to warn you that you one tank is nearly empty and it also acts as a warning if you had a gas leak somewhere.I fitted my own system all you need is a 70mm cutter to fit the filler cap and also know how to use a adjustable spanner,my local gas comes from a farming place who sell it for 36p ltr. instead of paying £14.15 for calor

Hi Pete,

If you have the Gaslow adaptor with dial/display between the cylinder and regulator, it will check for gas leaks by opening the tap on the cylinder, noting the position of the Green/Yellow/Red display. Then turning the tap off. Checking the dial after some 24hrs, you should notice hardly any movement. The connection between cylinder and Dial/Display input should have a rubber washer, and this is a very gas tight connection in my view.

If the dial indicates Red after 24 hrs, it usually means you have a gas leak somewhere. Go to the gas manifold in the van, turn them all off and try again, opening each manifold tap in turn and checking the gauge after 1 to 24 hrs.

You can check all connections with some soapy water, I always dry the connections thoughly afterwards as the brass/copper fittings will start discolouring.

Regarding the jointing compound, most DIY stores stock gas pipe jointing compound, look on the container to make sure it specifies use with LPG.

After installation there should be no smell of gas at all, sometimes you can kid yourself that any smell of gas was caused by turning the gas taps on the cylinder. There should be no smell of gas anywhere - anytime.

Regards Terry

Guest starspirit
terry1956 - 2007-02-06 2:52 PM

in norway gas is a little hard to get at times,and I hate the cold and as we wild camp or use the free sites in europe

Hi Terry,

We are off to Norway in May & June and whilst I am a non believer in asking for information as I prefer to make my own discoveries and mistakes, gas might be an issue for us too.

We will go with two full Calor 6kgs plus one Camping Gaz 907 as back up and adaptored pigtail which should do us for about 6 weeks - just about - as we have diesel heating.

Anything about Norway / Sweden / Denmark worthy of specific note please?

We are driving up from the tunnel because we can't take the dog on the direct ferries but it should only be about 6000 miles all told!

Thanks

Hi there, thanks for so much information and so fast, great stuff.

As to Norway, wll it all depends on what you know and what you would like to know. There are a few free sites around norway, but one is not allowed to camp, ie have anything outside the motorhome, or remain in one place longer then one night. Sweden is just great fun, but the camp sites are not to good, can become very full. We find all people to be very helpful,

You will know this for sure, please make sure the pet passport is well upto date. Also last year sweden had a thing about the about of food motorhomes were taking into sweden, They checked our stock, but did not remove anything, Places can be exspensive at times, driving lights need to be on at all times, and police do pull over motorhomes and check insurrance etc, from time to time. Apart from that its great fun, and the fishing is 2nd to none in europe. Just injoy. We are traveling in from france overland. and I think we did just under 4000 miles, last winter taking in whale watching and the northern lights,

terry

Hi there, thanks for so much information and so fast, great stuff.

As to Norway, wll it all depends on what you know and what you would like to know. There are a few free sites around norway, but one is not allowed to camp, ie have anything outside the motorhome, or remain in one place longer then one night. Sweden is just great fun, but the camp sites are not to good, can become very full. We find all people to be very helpful,

You will know this for sure, please make sure the pet passport is well upto date. Also last year sweden had a thing about the about of food motorhomes were taking into sweden, They checked our stock, but did not remove anything, Places can be exspensive at times, driving lights need to be on at all times, and police do pull over motorhomes and check insurrance etc, from time to time. Apart from that its great fun, and the fishing is 2nd to none in europe. Just injoy. We are traveling in from france overland. and I think we did just under 4000 miles, last winter taking in whale watching and the northern lights,

terry

Guest starspirit

Thanks Terry. My understanding of the right to roam in Norway is that one may park overnight more or less anywhere safe, away from houses and not on obviously owned and tended land. Common sense really.

I have also discovered that I need to have my dog detapewormed less than 10 days before entering Norway but as we will be coming from Sweden I do have to have her redone every 7 days whilst in Norway. Crazy but confirmed by Norweigian ministry by email!

Hi T, yes the rules for dogs etc are a pain, and they do check, we took out two pugs and finding vets became a real pain when on the move. We also crossed over from sweden. Yes you are correct you can overnight anywhere, but can,t camp. We had a great time, there is a good locked motorhome park within the city, next to the water, gates are locked at sometime between 9 and 10 o clock at night, cost was around 7 pounds a night. We found it a good spot from which to visit the viking musee and the city. If you like I can send you details complete with map and picture

when I return to the UK later this month, also I have more information on sites, etc on my PC which maybe of interest.

terry

Hi T, yes the rules for dogs etc are a pain, and they do check, we took out two pugs and finding vets became a real pain when on the move. We also crossed over from sweden. Yes you are correct you can overnight anywhere, but can,t camp. We had a great time, there is a good locked motorhome park within the city, next to the water, gates are locked at sometime between 9 and 10 o clock at night, cost was around 7 pounds a night. We found it a good spot from which to visit the viking musee and the city. If you like I can send you details complete with map and picture

when I return to the UK later this month, also I have more information on sites, etc on my PC which maybe of interest.

terry

Archived