2007 aires guide to France

Brian Kirby

Many ask about guides to aires in France.  This may be of interest.

The 2007 Guide National des Aires de Service Camping-Cars, 250 pages, with map and directions instructions (in French), will be available in France, from February 25, at a cost of 7 Euro.  It is published by Editions Lariviere, the publishers of the French motorhome magazine, Le Monde du Camping-Car.

It should be available from supermarkets, magazine stores, booksellers and, probably the most certain source, motorhome dealerships.

The guide covers nearly 1900 aires, divided between municipal, private, autoroute, and campsite, aires.  Regarding aires on campsites, the guide states that these are mainly available for services use only.  That is to say you can pull in and use the aire to empty/replenish, but not to stay.  If you choose to stay, the charge for camping will apply, when the aire can be used without additional charge.

The guide also points out that the list is a work in progress and that, despite several dozen last minute additions/deletions, since aires come and go at their operators' discretion, there can be no guarantee that an aire listed will remain available, or that unlisted aires may not be found.

Bons voyages!

So I guess I won't be buying it this week and I would of popped into the local Presse Oh well I will have to wait.

Any news on a disc Brian or would you happen to know anywhere to look on the web for it..

I ,m not sure in making this statement so just asking is there much change in the books from year to year?

Merci Beaucoup pour le info Brian *-) ;

As you mention, like any annual publication, as soon as its published its probably a bit out of date so I would recommend that you use it in conjunction with the excellent and regularly updated http://www.campingcar-infos.com/Francais/recherche.php website before you go away for the very latest info on aires. These two references are the definitive guides to aires in France IMO.

pete

Guest starspirit

Last year's guide officiel Aires de Service Camping-Car listed about 4100 aires in France as well as a further 2400 in other countries (none in UK) and whilst in France for just three weeks we found one or two not mentioned in the book.

So is there a truly definitive guide for any one country?

Guest starspirit
Reading a CD is more of a problem than reading a book when your navigator is looking for a convenient Aire at 5.00 pm whilst you are driving and you are unsure of where you are never mind where you want to be!

Personally, I much prefer the the "Guide OFFICIEL Aires de Services Camping-Car" sponsored by Camping-Car magazine (as mentioned by starspirit). It costs a little more (8 Euro for the 2006 edition) but is far more comprehensive.

The CD available from the www.campingcar-infos.com website is a copy of the data on that site. As the primary value of this website is in its up-to-date subjective comments (positive and negative) on aires, it goes well beyond the scope of either of the books.

JudgeMental - 2007-02-07 3:12 PM How does the " Camper Stop Europe 2007" guide compare? It is expensive in comparison @ 19.99

Possibly less comprehensive for France, but includes more countries (Germany, Austria, Benelux, Italy) all in a similar format, so not really comparable.

peejay - 2007-02-06 10:26 PM

Merci Beaucoup pour le info Brian *-) ;

As you mention, like any annual publication, as soon as its published its probably a bit out of date so I would recommend that you use it in conjunction with the excellent and regularly updated http://www.campingcar-infos.com/Francais/recherche.php website before you go away for the very latest info on aires. These two references are the definitive guides to aires in France IMO.

pete

The good bit about this one is the Multimap link. Would that map location be on the CD cersion?

peejay - 2007-02-11 11:58 AM

The good bit about this one is the Multimap link. Would that map location be on the CD cersion?

No, unfortunately the multimap link doesn't work on the cd. :-(

pete

Oh I just wondered if they had included just one mid-range map overview with each site. I would need to see this stuff in a map scenario to be really user friendly.

• 2 weeks later...
trigrem - 2007-02-11 8:43 PM

The advantage with the www.campingcar-infos.com site is that you can download the positions as points of interest on some navigation systems.

Also each site it given its Latitude and Longitude coordinates, which is usefull to locate the site.

Doug

How does that work? Sat Nav? My DVD arrived today and I haave circled the VILLAGES where the Aires are on the maps, but if I want one I will have to drive around said village and ask the locals where the site is :-|

Hi Mike,

Find a cheap copy of Autoroute on Ebay or local shops for around £10. Almost any recent copy over the last 5 years will allow you to input Long & Lat. Autoroute from around 2004 on will allow you to attach a USB sat nav receiver for around £20.

I have used AR with Sat Nav for the last 3 years and found it okay, always carry it as a backup system and for route planning coupled with the CampingCar-Info DVD.

Regards Terry

Hi Ventoux

Like Terry Traveller says you can use old versions of Autoroute Express to display Lat And Long, and a GPS receiver to keep track of where you are, with Autoroute Express 2006 you get voise instructions as well.

I prefer Tom Tom 6 running on a PDA, you can download all the Aires as specified Points of interest, select the one from the map, and tell TomTom to take you there. Some of the Latitude and longitude positions are not always spot on but usually near enough to see the Aire signpost.

My laptop does not like being bounced about in the van when switched on.

Doug

Thanks for the help again you two.

I just won Autoroute 2003 on Ebay for £4.22 B-) That will be great assistance.

Dont think I will get the Sat Nav .... just bought 10'' LCD 12v TV at Maplins and a digital/terrestrial TV USB stick for laptop (for 15'' screen when hooked up to 230v), too much technology will be too much for brain on what is to be my first motorhome trip abroad 8-)

Guest JudgeMental

Seeing as I have not bought any books for a while..

have ordered: "campers stop guide" the " ACSI guide" and pre ordered the 2007 Aires guide (out end of March, all from Vicarious books)

Any one know where I can order the "Michelin camping guide 2007"as traditionally I have used this (misplaced old copy) and Aires guide and also carried a copy of Alan Rogers as well.

Archived