Norway

Guest starspirit

Guest starspirit

Following on from my conversation with Terry on the Gaslow thread ;-

Thanks Terry I would appreciate any site info that you have as I have not been able to get hold of any sites books yet, and whilst we are not great lovers of sites per se, we do need to responsibly get and empty water etc every third day.

With the seeming lack of suitable places to do this sites may be the only answer and it would certainly help to know where they are!

What sort of fishing did you do and what can you reasonably expect to catch as I too will be taking my rods. I have this urge to fish from the Nordcap - but I will have to wait and see if that is a practical idea or not!

Did you go and come back the same way as the choices seem to broadly be Norwegian Fjords up and Swedish inland or coast down and as I doubt we will go a second time I am tempted by the round trip?

However I do also appreciate that when returning along a mountainous and bendy coastal road the views coming back are often very different from the views going up.

On the other hand I don't want to have to get more currencies than I have to!

Hi a short reply, as all my site information is on my PC in the UK, and I am using my laptop at the moment. So first off the fishing, well during the summer I did sort out some great river fly fishing, also a lot of the sites do offer fishing as part of the deal as most are near the water, during the winter ( i have been summer and winter) I went deep water fishing, and a bit of ice hole fishing further up. I must say that Norway is just great for fishing. This summer I plan to take my own kayak as it was a pain to try to get one at the times I wanted. This depends if I can work out a system of getting it on and off the roof, I am looking at life boat type hoists at the moment. Anyway back to norway, we did the round trip, I am interested in History so wanted to look at the wooden warship vesa at stockhome, and the viking musee and also the miltary musee in sweden. We also saw the northern lights on a few nights and that made the trip for both of us.

a few sites you may have seen that I have on my laptop

Visit Norway

camping.se

Norway.com

Will as I said give you more information when I return to the UK

terry

Guest starspirit

Thanks Terry,

We too hope to see the Northern lights but due to the midnight sun in May & June I am not so sure as there surely needs to be an element of darkness?

Perhaps from a little further south than the Nordcap we might be luckier as we have seen the Aurora several times in May & June from the North coast of Scotland - albeit not spectacular?

Have you considered an inflatable kayak?

We once took a small Avon inflatable on the van roof rack and it was a bit of a pain getting it up and down, but the biggest risk was scratching and damage to the van when it slips and moves off the protective carpet and towels.

I did wonder about a van with a garage but they tend to be fixed bed types and usually a bit too long for comfortable minor road exploring.

When & where are you going this summer as maybe a day's fishing would be fun if we coincide somewhere?

I am also wondering about mobile laptop internet use - but that's a different story!

Terry

Slight digression - we've actually got an inflatable Canadian style canoe, where you sit on wooden slats rather than inside the canoe (althouth I kneel with the bum on the seat). It's a Gumotex Palava (stop laughting Starspirit!), cost us approx £450.00 about 2 years or so ago shipped from Sweden with oars and pump. At the time you could get them here but they were nearer £700.00 for the same thing.

We've had 2 adults and 3 dogs in ours and it is quite stable, it takes about 10 minutes maximum to get out, unroll, inflate and put the wooden seats on then were're off, deflating it is quite quick after we've giving it a dry off with a shammy followed by a towel for good measure. It's made of the same material that inshore lifeboats are so is very tough and durable - needed to be with loads of dog claws! The only things we had to buy separately were the life jackets for us and the dogs as we didn't want to risk ordering them from abroad in case they didn't fit properly.

When we had a loan motorhome about 18 months ago which had a garage we were able to just partly deflate it to fold it in half and then stick it in the garage, it then only took 2 minutes to get out, fully inflate and back on the water. I would suggest not considering one of the fold-up wooden/canvas canoes though, we saw a couple who had one when we were on holiday once and it took them half an hour to put it together, we were on our way back to the van when they were only just heading out to us and we'd both started to put them up at the same time!

Just a thought but how long is your kayak? If it's one of the shorter ones, would you be able to make some sort of braket for the rear of the motorhome so that you could stand it up instead, or even tie it to the ladder in some way (assuming you've got one)? I've seen smaller surfboards transported like this and thought it was a good idea.

Mel B

Guest starspirit

That's very personal Mel - you should never ask a man how long his kayak is - it could be misunderstood you know?

Yeah but, jus' between ourselves Mel, I quite fancy a medium sized kayak myself but I would also need a Howie to blow it up and me van's only a 2 berth?

Hi there, well we are planning to start out around June, it depends on issue outside my control, but will not be later.

My Kayak is 13 foot long weights 24kg. I am looking to make a pair of derricks(think thats the word) which will allow me to lower the kayak under control away from the side of the motorhome, a bit like a liftboat realy. I want to take this as its made for fishing with rod holders and fish finder (with luck) etc.

But if I don,t get round to building the derricks a blow up may suit, I have seen them on e-bay.

Yes if we can sort out a date nearer the time that would be good.

Also one point, some camp sites in norway ask for a camping card, You can get one from the tourist norway site, or when you first get to norway.

terry

Guest starspirit

Thanks Terry, I intend getting a CCI from probably the CCC or MCC before we go just in case.

We are leaving Mid May(ish) and home again end(ish) of June probably.

I don't quite know how derricks will help as they have to be stored somewhere too, unless they fold flat on the roof, and they might need to be quite big to get the lift and swing needed?

Also you may need more hands that you have to operate two derricks and move and secure the kayak simultaneously?

I did once see a van with a home made roller fixed to a wooden 90 degree frame which was carpet covered and fitted over the back edge of the van to allow a boat to be pulled up and over quite easily by two people - if that makes sense?

Can you walk on your van roof and does it have a roof rack?

Guest starspirit

How do you get on with currency in Denmark, Norway, Finland & Sweden?

Can you use UK credit cards OK - my bank says yes, 'widely accepted at the going rate of exchange' - but sometimes the reality differs?

Will the various toll ferries, tunnels & bridges take credit cards or Euros or must it be the relevent local currency?

How do you get on with mobile internet use?

Questions questions - so many questions!

Thanks.

starspirit - 2007-02-08 1:00 PM

How do you get on with currency in Denmark, Norway, Finland & Sweden?

Can you use UK credit cards OK - my bank says yes, 'widely accepted at the going rate of exchange' - but sometimes the reality differs?

Will the various toll ferries, tunnels & bridges take credit cards or Euros or must it be the relevent local currency?

How do you get on with mobile internet use?

Questions questions - so many questions!

Thanks.

Norway.

Local ferries - local currency only.

We had no problem using credit cards for fuel and other shopping, debit cards for drawing cash from ATM's

On ferries/tunnels/bridges in Norway expect to pay an arm and a leg for a van up to 6 metres. Over 6 metres it's a second mortgage.

For example charges in the Nordkapp Tunnel are/were

Vehicles up to six metres & Driver NOK140 Passenger NOK50?

Vehicles over six metres & Driver NOK445 Passengers NOK50?

Then there is a charge of about NOK200 to enter the Nordkapp car park and exhibition centre.

Current exchange rate £1 = NOK 12.1961

Travelling in Norway can seriously damage your bank balance.

Don

Hi SS. re the kayak, I was thinking of using light alloy tube that I can store on the roof when not used upright, I have an alloy roof on the hymer so fittings are not to hard to do, each end would only need to take the weight of 12 kg or so, and I have a pair of mini hoists that I can use. Its realy not hard to sort out, its just fitting it in with restoring my old triumph T120R, and now her in doors as told me she wishes to leave the UK for France full time, so it looks like we will be putting the house in devon up for sale. Apart from the beer I don,t miss the Uk at all, and never did get on with devon. Anyway back to making gates.

Norway is expensive, and I did not find away round that fact. nowever its worth just to see the views.

terry

terry1956 - 2007-02-08 2:31 PM

Norway is expensive, and I did not find away round that fact. nowever its worth just to see the views.

terry

Terry,

Don't bank on it. We were on the west coast of Norway once for a two week trip in the car, it rained twice once for six days and once for seven days 8-) 8-)

That was in May.

Don

Guest starspirit

Oh fishooks! I wish my van was not 6.2 metres long now!

Are midges and mozzies an issue?

Holes in van roof Terry? Not my idea of fun!

Watch out for load points denting or deforming the roof?

How about using a lightweight cradle to support the kayak and rolling that up and over a rear mounted roller?

The whole lot should sit on the roof and be pullonable and pushoffable (nice words eh?) by one person either from the ground or from the roof?

Hi SS, used a roller on my 4x4 and was a pain, obtained a side loader from the USA, which is great, I have worked out a way of loading the kayak on and off, and sorted out the load points, the hymer can take a load of 76kg overall, my using roof bars for mounting points in 4 places I can reduce the load on one spot.

Rain is good for fishing, and I have a dry suit, so bring it on :-D :-D

terry

Guest starspirit

No Terry - rain ain't good for fishing - it may be good for fish but it ain't much fun for fishin'!

Do I take it then you & your kayak together weigh less than 76 kg?

This I gotta see!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi SS know I weigh a bit more then 76kg, last check it was 90, But A christmas as just gone, and I have not had time to trim the fat yet,lols

I am working on ways to get that kayak on the roof, I have a bad knee from a bad para jump, and it locks out from time to time, so need to find an easy way of loading the yak, Its not the weight so much as the 13 foot that makes it hard work.

But there is an easy way, just need to find it.

Glad you are getting more input on Norway

terry

If you use a mains hookup in Norway and have a mains polarity checker there is a two out of three chance that it will be confused as they have three different distribution systems. If you have an unbalance type (modern) circuit breaker you shouldn,t worry though.

Enjoy

Guest starspirit

Many thanks Clive, I will bear that in mind.

My van does have circuit breakers etc and as it is two years old I suppose that is modern?

Is there anything else I should do as I am not a lover of mains leads and water at the best of times?

We do not normally bother with mains as I can't be bothered to faf about with leads etc and we don't even carry a mains lead normally as everything works just fine on 12v and gas.

However it might make the gas last a bit longer if we do use sites, as 6 weeks on 2 x 6kg Propane, + a camping gaz backup, is cutting it a bit fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Just got onto this forum so I hope this info is still useful.

1. The Michelin map 985 Scandinavia and Finland had campsite positions marked (985 is now number 711 so worth checking it still indicates sites)

2. NAF (Norwegian Automobil Federation) camping guide (free at sites and I think available on ferries) shows around 300 sites. Can be ordered from www.nafcamp.com free plus postage.

3. Details of the road 17 (Steinker to Boda) can be obtained and downloaded in pdf format free from www.rv17.no and click travel guide. Includes every detail you would need to know.

I have travelled to NordKapp in 2002 and 2003 and have found all sites of a very good standard. If you wish to use electric hookup then take a very long lead (50M min) as sockets are often at one central point not next to the pitch.

NordKapp entry was a 48 hour ticket charged on the approach to the car park. You can go in and out of the car park as often as you like and can semi wild camp (using the centres facilities when open) so the price is not so excessive.

Ferries are more expensive for larger vans but compared the CalMac's scotish island fares they are very reasonable.

Have had good fishing on Fjords and load our folding boat onto the roof of a coachbuilt van. I use a lightwieght aluminium ladder with a set of rollers at the end. This is attached to the existing roof rack with the rollers just over the rear of the van. A pulley system is used to make the lifting safer/easier but basically the folded boat is pushed up over the rollers and tied down. One drawback - it's a two person job- her indoors required.

Finally - Anyone touring from mid August onwards will find that a large number of attractions have closed or have reduced opening hours/facilities as the Norwegian holiday period ends then.

Hi Terry

I have created a picture file showing my original method used with an AutoRoller 70, which was very succesful. I have since cut the ladder to create a side loading version as my current van has a rear spoiler.

I anm attaching the file (it's very small) so I hope it works.

I missed one item of info yesterday - there are grey/black water disposal points signed from the road in various locations. I have never used these for fresh water after seeing another user washing out their toilet tank with the wrong hose. The NAF camping guide indicates those sites which have a motorhome emptying point.

Roamer

773156674_boatloading.thumb.PNG.a4bf40707d9371a3b64fa1fc11be05c3.PNG

Archived