3 way v compression fridge

jupe

we have a 2004 burstner elegance which we have owned for 10yrs during which time we have had various problems with our fridge/freezer when using gas. it’s a dometic RM7505 and now needs a new circuit board but both the part and fridge are now obsolete. it does work on electric but not 12v so as we don’t often use campsites we are thinking of getting a new fridge which won’t be cheap. we spend several months touring in europe and as a diabetic iwe need something reliable for keeping insulin chilled. we would prefer a smaller fridge and are wondering whether a compression fridge would be a good option. we have a 130w solar panel and room for another one if necessary,as well as 2 110 leisure batteries. does anyone have experience of a compression fridge, any advice would be most welcome.

jupe

You could try this firm, who may be able to repair and even improve the circuit board with better spec components

http://www.apuljackengineering.co.uk/product_repair.html

Compressor fridges in my experience eat battery power and, for that reason, and having experienced one, I would never have another! This might help

http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/compressor-fridge-12v.php

Compressor fridges do use a fair amount of battery power but a small fridge running off two 110 ah batteries topped up with 130 watt solar panel on the continent shouldnt be a problem.  In my view compressor fridges has many advantages over gas. They are not as sensitive to van levelling, more reliable and more efficient in any ambient temperature.  Some people find the noise of them clicking on and off an irritation but others including me don't.  I have a small waeco mdc50 which has worked without any problems for the last 17 years.

Any decent auto electrician should be able to wire the fridge up to bypass the PCB(s) and operate the fridge manually from the gas/12volt/mains/off switch.

I have a 7 series fridge/freezer that only occasionally works on auto selection with gas. I just set it manually. There is no way I am paying well over £200 for a £20 circuit board. 8-)

I've got a dometic crx50 with yuassa 100 amp battery and 100w solar panel. In the summer this set up powers the fridge really well. You just need to be savvy how you use it. In the day when the sun is shining we crank the fridge up on full power to get it really cold and then turn it down when it gets dark. It prevents the fridge turning on and off during the night as the fridge remains cold. I'm a light sleeper so this is essential. The removable freezer section is a real bonus too.

We freeze freezer blocks in the freezer compartment of our compressor fridge during the daytime, and distribute them around the main compartment overnight for a similar reason. I find our Isotherm fridge very efficient, averaging about 28Ah a day consumption, as the compressor only runs for about 20 minutes in every hour at the most in my experience, less in cooler weather. Having had years of experience with 3 way fridges in the past, I certainly wouldn't want to go back.

We also have a Thetford compressor fridge and we are really pleased with it, our drive is quite steep and we can load the fridge the night before we leave on a trip, with the 3 way fridges we’ve had on our other vans we had to load the fridge just before leaving because of the steepness of the drive.Our van has 200 watt of solar and 2 80 amp hour Gel batteries.

John.

Archived