Unoccupied House insurance

howardandsuescott

My way around that problem was to invite a good friend to stay in the house. Live there as a normal resident. They found it answered thier needs and we appreciated that the house was in the care of a responsible person, and all the services were allowed to function as normal, keeping it warm and dry while away.

There are some couples who do a "house sitting service" and come complete with good references, but they expect some payment !

Guest starspirit
Have a look at the 'home insurance' thread dated 2.2.07 or type 'home insurance' in the search box and lots of info will be brought to your attention.

I have my home insured through the Camping and Caravanning Club.

They cover me for 180 days of unoccupancy, with a proviso that a neighbour of friend visit the premises a minimum of once a week.

It is done through their Club Care Insurance and seems to be underwritten by Vantage Insurance Services Limuted(VISL).

It is a members only service but I would happily have paid the joining fee for such deal if not already a member.

John (lol)

Guest starspirit

I have the CCC club care home insurance and there is no mention in any of my documents of a need to have anyone visit the propertty once a week whilst I am away.

I wonder if I have missed it - so can you tell me you found the info please?

Their definition of unoccupied on page 10 of the policy booklet is -

'When the home has not been lived in by your family or any one with your permission for more than 180 days in a row. Lived in means slept in frequently'

howardandsuescott - 2007-02-07 9:09 PM

How do all you overwinter campers get on about insurance on your home while you are away? My policy says it is invalidated if the house is unoccupied for more than 30 days.

Hi Howard & Sue,

Comfort Insurance (Norwich Union) do a policy that covers all of your needs.

Being a combined travel/medical/house policy you can also be covered for leaving your property unoccupied for a maximum of 60/90/120/180 days at any one time. Details http://tinyurl.com/yfahk9

We have had the combined policy for a few years now and it works very well for us.

Don

Don.

We were with Comfort for many years and cannot fault their service. But their house/contents cover (with Norwich Union) was over twice the price of Norwich Union Direct who give us 60 days - extendable at extra cost.

On enquiring, I find most insurers will do the same - at extra cost. It's a case of matching your insurance needs to the cost.

Hi, We are in the process of renewing with Nationwide and they don't appear to have any limits, they do however require you to arrange for someone to check the house every 14 days,

you can check the conditions of the policy hear and the main points are on page 55/56

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/NR/rdonlyres/3A9A3719-AB60-4DA9-B8ED-F938C62C07EE/0/homepoldoc.pdf

sorry about the long link its just that i cannot get the Tiny thing to work

Mel E - 2007-02-09 10:52 AM

Don.

We were with Comfort for many years and cannot fault their service. But their house/contents cover (with Norwich Union) was over twice the price of Norwich Union Direct who give us 60 days - extendable at extra cost.

On enquiring, I find most insurers will do the same - at extra cost. It's a case of matching your insurance needs to the cost.

Mel,

When you extend from 60 to 180 days I think you will find there's not a great deal in it. We have gone for convenience rather than economy.

Don

Hi starspirit

You asked where in the CCC household insurance cover does it mention that someone has to visit the house once a week. You will find it on the Keyfacts sheet which is headed Club Care Home and Contents Insurance Summary Of Cover. It comes in the second column in respect to mention in the first column to unoccupancy for up to 180 days.

Hopes this helps. I am actually glad to return a favour as it was through the MMM forum that I got to know of this '180 days cover'

John ;-)

Wirralian - 2007-02-11 3:49 PM Hi starspirit You asked where in the CCC household insurance cover does it mention that someone has to visit the house once a week. You will find it on the Keyfacts sheet which is headed Club Care Home and Contents Insurance Summary Of Cover. It comes in the second column in respect to mention in the first column to unoccupancy for up to 180 days. Hopes this helps. I am actually glad to return a favour as it was through the MMM forum that I got to know of this '180 days cover' John ;-)

You made me check, John.  The insurance issued by Comfort does not seem to contain this provision (which I understood was the case when I bought): at least, if it does, I can't find it! 

The standard clause limits the period of unoccupancy to 60 days, and can be extended to 90, 120 or 180 days on payment of additional premium.  There is no requirement for the property to be visited during the specified period of unoccupancy.

I assume the CCC insurance is still via Norwich Union, just like that offered by Comfort?  Same provider, different vendor, different terms.  Never easy, is it?

Guest starspirit

There is nothing about weekly visits in any of the blurb that I have, either before or after signing up, and if this is a condition then they can shove it as it is not acceptable to me to impose hidden terms.

I'll email CCC clubcare and let you know their answer as soon as.

Archived