Talex Lite GPS Speed Camera Detector

Guest Frank Wilkinson

Guest Frank Wilkinson

I'm only posting this because there was an earlier thread regarding the efficacy of this unit.

I opened my weekly copy of Auto Express yesterday to find a review of the most popular detectors and was surprised to find that the Talex Lite at £89.99 was joint best buy with another one costing £350! It really is amazing value and apparently performs superbly. Its database includes all fixed and regularly used mobile-camera sites.

If you wish to keep up to date there's a three year subscription for £60, which at £20 p.a. is probably amongst the cheapest available.

You should be aware though that, like many GPS detectors, which are and will continue to be totally legal, it only works in the U.K., whereas many of the more expensive combined satnav/speed camera locators will cover most of western Europe as well.

So for a total of £150, you can be completely protected for three years.

Finally, I've provided this information for those who, like me, feel more secure about accidentally straying over the limit, or even missing a change of limit owing to concentrating on navigating in strange places, and I would be very much obliged if, as normally happens in such a thread, people do not post such comments as "If you don't speed and obey the law you won't need one of these things".

We all know this already and it adds nothing to the thread!

Hi Frank,

I've had the standard Talex for a couple of years and am really pleased with it. If you take the three year subscription instead of the one year it's very good value (first six months is free with the initial purchase).

It not only warns when you stray over the limit, it also warns of sharp bends, accident black spots etc.

It's also very easy to update tha database using the supplied USB,

Regards.

Guest starspirit

Just don't leave it in sight, or any evidence that it might be in the vehicle, when you leave your car / van or it might not be there when you come back.

I made a wood and plastic cradle (out of scraps of course, being a tight s#d) for my Navman which clips on top of the van instrument pod and when I stop I unhook it and put it out of sight thus leaving no leads or sucker marks or other evidence of it.

I've got a Micro Fuzion detector in my van, which is totally reliable for fixed, mobile sites,schools and red light cameras. It also shows your speed when driving, and distance to the camera. It reminds you to take a break every 2 hours and a time check every hour. Updates are free and the unit cost £99.

Another alternative is the Inforad available from Maplin and others at around £80.00. Annual subscription is similar to the Talex, but you can also pay a one-off £49.00 (from memory) and get lifetime updates..

It is GPS based and has the facility for you to add Camera sites if you identify any between updates. They also download your updates for adding to the central database.

But I have found mine is now obsolete due to the info on my Sat Nav.

Flicka

Archived