Votronic Solar MPP 350 Duo setting for 2 x Trojan T105's

premiere99

Just received a Votronic MPP 350 solar charger (after the glowing reports by aandncaravan) and just wondered it would be correct to use the AGM2 setting to charge 2 x Trojan T105's in series for 12V as the Trojan specs state Bulk of 14.82v and Votronic AGM2 outputs 14.7v

Also went for Allan's new wattmeter from Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07C5P5QQL?ref_=pe_3187911_248764861_302_E_DDE_dt_1 very impressed so thanks Allan!

Clive_S

I thought the standard T105's were old fashioned, high antimony wet technology?

The only Tech spec I can find says to use 14.4v, but maybe you have the 'Motive' ones designed for Fork Lift trucks and Golf Buggies?.

From what I understood of the construction of ones we have opened in the past, I don't think these would last so well on higher voltages, especially if used during summer months abroad? If it was me I would stick to a Lead Acid profile.

Watch out for high fluid loss and a very high Self Discharge rate of up to 15% a month on a standard T105.

There is a T105-AGM which like all AGM's needs 14.7v and if you have these then AGM2 will be the Votronic profile to choose.

As for the others, I think you need to take advice from Trojan?

Excellent news on buying the new Wire less Wattmeter.

Yes they are the old (2016) T105 wet technology, before the Motive but even the Trojan spec sheet from 1 July 2016 states

Bulk Charge 14.82, Float Charge 13.50, Equalize Charge 16.20 which is the same as the "newer" Motive spec.

I have been charging at 14.4v but as the Votronic could go to nearer to Trojan's spec I just wondered if it was alright doing so, but it seems best to keep to 14.4v

I check for water level regularly and have a Smartgauge Battery Monitor which is always near 100% so I suppose that says 14.4v is charging OK.

Clive_S

I would not worry as in my experience Trojan bateries are ok with what you have

My van has two Trojan TE 35 that are now coming up to 10 years in service with a 90 % off grid life

I have an 80watt solar with an old style controler fitted 12 years ago

We do a main holiday of 4 months ish over in the Isle of Man for the racing season with no hook up and not a lot of travelling but never run out of power and the rest of the year is a mix of site off site use

I also have Trojans on my boat as do more than not on the waterways where battery banks are a lot bigger than the motorhome norm ie 500 to 2000 Ah and most are charged with a dedicated alternator at around 14.4 volts

Mains chargers in boats are usually to a higher spec than the motorhome norm and with user settings for battery types and charge profiles

Regards Ray

Archived