First Long trip to Spain and Portugal.

Orbslos

She who must be obeyed,and I are thinking of going to travel from our house in Moriara Spain to Portugal and up the coast and catch the ferry from Santander to Plymouth. If any one can help a couple of first timers we would be very grateful for any information (?)

Hi Should be a nice trip we came down that way last year just one small thing to bear in mind if you use the Portuguese motorways they are very expensive

(will cost more than France mile for mile!) you cant stay on them overnight ! the tickets Only last for 12 hours !!

Regards Mike

mike.T - 2007-02-08 9:18 PM Hi Should be a nice trip we came down that way last year just one small thing to bear in mind if you use the Portuguese motorways they are very expensive (will cost more than France mile for mile!) you cant stay on them overnight ! the tickets Only last for 12 hours !! Regards Mike

If you take the motorway up through Portugal you'll miss all the interesting inland stuff.  However, be aware that Portugese roads inland are frequently fairly narrow and in the North, mountainous, meaning very twisting.  You won't travel fast, but you will enjoy the spectacular countryside.

Also be aware that road sides in Portugal are littered with objects such as council wheelie bins, (invariably just round bends!) that in most of the rest of Europe and kept off road.  This, coupled with the odd roadsign planted in, and most intruding into, the carriageway (I kid you not!), and the lack of traffic awareness of many of the Portugese, makes the driving interesting but necessitates very high concentration.

I'd add that Portugese driving is characterised by little forward planning and great optimism, (and almost no aggression) and if you think that sounds a bit like Spanish driving, you'd be right, but the Portugese do it far better!

If that sounds offputting that is not my intention.  The country is superb and the people a delight.

Northern Spain is also delightful.  The coast is spectacular and the backing mountains, I suppose especially the Picos de Europa, are superb.  Santiago de Compostela is well worth a visit in passing and, if you can spare the time and haven't been before (although quite a diversion) so is Burgos and it's cathedral.  The journey up onto the Meseta from/to the coast is well worth the extra time/cost in fuel.

mike.T - 2007-02-08 9:18 PM

Hi Should be a nice trip we came down that way last year just one small thing to bear in mind if you use the Portuguese motorways they are very expensive

(will cost more than France mile for mile!) you cant stay on them overnight ! the tickets Only last for 12 hours !!

Regards Mike

Mike,

There's nothing to stop you overnighting as long as you don't exceed the 12 hour limit.

Don

Archived