Solar Panel Fixings

Wasnt Me

Hi some help please.

I have purchased a ridged solar panel and looking for help about fixing it.

I have read A&A Caravan's page, but it reads as though it is for a panel type van and talks about painted roofs.

My thoughts are establish where the structural parts of the roof are. I.e the wooden beams. (This can be seen when the roof is in the sun) then screw into them. Either using the plastic brackets or metal brackets, using sealant too.

Thanks in advance

Thanks I looked at this, but my roof seems to be a vinyl type rubbery soft covering.

The link to AandA Caravan's says to stick and screw. But it talks about metal, painted and GRP. I'm wondering if its worth sticking it, if I can attach it to the wooden structure underneath the roof covering.

Any more help appreciated.

Mornin' Wasn't Me..

You may have already seen this previous thread (worth a read if you haven't).

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Solar-Panels-taking-flight-Disaster/50730/

..It seems that many, myself included, have been using the likes of Sikaflex (etc) incorrectly and that "we" should also be using the correct etching primer..

(forum member "globebuster",who I believe is involved in boat building, seems to know his stuff on such matters).

pepe63 - 2019-04-25 8:28 AM

Mornin' Wasn't Me..

You may have already seen this previous thread (worth a read if you haven't).

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Solar-Panels-taking-flight-Disaster/50730/

..It seems that many, myself included, have been using the likes of Sikaflex (etc) incorrectly and that "we" should also be using the correct etching primer..

(forum member "globebuster",who I believe is involved in boat building, seems to know his stuff on such matters).

Thanks I have read this link and this is led to my request for help, the description does not really describe the type of roof covering I have. This is why I am thinking about screwing it to the wooden structure and sealing (likely with Silkaflex 292)

Thanks in advance

I opted to bond my plastic/ABS panel brackets on but only after testing the adhesion of a selection of adhesives to the plastic to find one that I was happy with.

I opted for an additional security measure though, basically a breakaway cable similar in function to those used when coupling up a trailer.

I didn't use the normal cable gland but instead bonded a length of tubing (c. 15mm ID) through the roof, sheltered underneath the panel with an upstand of about 20mm on the outside.

The panel's cables pass down through this tube as does a 7x7 flexible stainless cable that is bolted to the panel's leading edge frame.

Should the panel detach it would flap around and cause some damage but the plan is that I could stop with it still attached safely to the roof by the breakaway cable.

Hopefully I'll never get to test this theory.

Hi again..

Although, like you(Wasn't Me),I prefer the additional "physical fixing" approach, rather than just use the supplied brackets, I would really want to be aiming for something along the lines of the photo that "spirou" post on page 3 of that linked thread...

(basically, what looks like utilising a roof bar type arrangement).

Ooops! sorry Steve, I crossed your post.

Wasn't Me - 2019-04-24 8:18 PM

Thanks I looked at this, but my roof seems to be a vinyl type rubbery soft covering...

I would have thought that the roof of a 2007 Chausson would have a common-or-garden ‘hard’ GRP skin on top of foam insulation - the same as used for its side bodywork panelling.

It is possible to sheath a motorhome’s roof with a type of rubberised coating to repair hail damage or improve watertightness and - if that’s what your motorhome’s roof has - I’d definitely not want merely to bond the solar panels brackets to the ‘soft’ outer surface.

I found this on motorhome fun

Chaussons have a floating roof, which as I understand it is a loose skin of fibreglass which is laid on top of the actual roof and only secured around the edges to protect it from hailstones. Both of mine had ripples in them, mainly towards the front where maybe heat or cold had caused a little movement but it's certainly nothing to worry about, just the protective skin doing its job ( so I was told by the dealer at the time).

and this..

https://www.motorhomefacts.com/forum-printtopic-1-132379-0-0-asc-viewresult-1.html

I'm not sure what it is. It seems as though the rest of it is hard GRP, but is kind of spongy and dimpled.

I will take some photos when up there.

Sikaflex say a Solar Panel can be subject to extreme loads so should only be fixed with a structural adhesive, like 292i.

Sikaflex 512 as a sealant, not a structural adhesive, it's tensile strength is low.

Wasn't me, please do not use 512 as it is important with thin GRP that the adhesive gets right down inside the hole and re-inforces the hole from the underside. Sealant won't do that.

By following the fitting method on the web page of 'secondary squeezing' adhesive into the hole the 1mm - 2mm of GRP becomes up to 5mm or more of adhesive re-inforced GRP.

That will also reduce the risk of leaking from shrinkage as Sikaflex 292 is one of the best in this respect. Some of the lesser 'Sealants' have quite high levels of shrinkage, obviously raising the risk of water ingress.

From the description of your roof you will need every bit of adhesion and sealing you can get.

A 120w Solar panel weighs a lot.

At 60mph it effectively weighs an awful lot more, definitely 'killer debris'. Please don't take the chance it will miss the family travelling in the car behind you, but use a belt and braces approach that should be applied to any high risk project.

We applaud Steve928's approach of using a safety tether and wish professional fitters would apply as much thought. Actually just applying any thought in some cases would be good.

We recently saw a professional fit panel that had just a 1mm thick bead of Sealant 512. There were no spacers to prevent the sealant being squeezed from the joint. Nothing was done as Sikaflex advise.

And if you think that 'Professional' fit means 'safe', you may have heard of recent reports of many certain Motorhomes losing their front overhead roof light,'at speed' due to a Sealant being employed at the factory, when an Adhesive should have been used. No secondary fixings are used either.

According to our inside man the motorhome manufacturer 'filed a compensation claim' against the Sealant supplier, until the sealant supplier pointed out that the description on the products states it is only a Sealant when the roof light clearly needed a structural adhesive and, ideally. secondary mechanical fixings for safety.

Seems the manufacturers in question have been using Sealants so long to fix small plastic, low strain items that due diligence wasn't applied to the big rooflight.

If the rooflight detachment has happened to you, this is now acknowledged as a manufacturer defect and should be resolved under warranty, regardless of any time interval.

However, be prepared to be 'pushy' as many Dealers are denying there is an issue, "never heard of this before, it's a 'one off', etc".

aandncaravan - 2019-04-25 6:58 PM

Sikaflex say a Solar Panel can be subject to extreme loads so should only be fixed with a structural adhesive, like 292i.

Sikaflex 512 as a sealant, not a structural adhesive, it's tensile strength is low.

Wasn't me, please do not use 512 as it is important with thin GRP that the adhesive gets right down inside the hole and re-inforces the hole from the underside. Sealant won't do that.

By following the fitting method on the web page of 'secondary squeezing' adhesive into the hole the 1mm - 2mm of GRP becomes up to 5mm or more of adhesive re-inforced GRP.

That will also reduce the risk of leaking from shrinkage as Sikaflex 292 is one of the best in this respect. Some of the lesser 'Sealants' have quite high levels of shrinkage, obviously raising the risk of water ingress.

From the description of your roof you will need every bit of adhesion and sealing you can get.

A 120w Solar panel weighs a lot.

At 60mph it effectively weighs an awful lot more, definitely 'killer debris'. Please don't take the chance it will miss the family travelling in the car behind you, but use a belt and braces approach that should be applied to any high risk project.

We applaud Steve928's approach of using a safety tether and wish professional fitters would apply as much thought. Actually just applying any thought in some cases would be good.

We recently saw a professional fit panel that had just a 1mm thick bead of Sealant 512. There were no spacers to prevent the sealant being squeezed from the joint. Nothing was done as Sikaflex advise.

And if you think that 'Professional' fit means 'safe', you may have heard of recent reports of many certain Motorhomes losing their front overhead roof light,'at speed' due to a Sealant being employed at the factory, when an Adhesive should have been used. No secondary fixings are used either.

According to our inside man the motorhome manufacturer 'filed a compensation claim' against the Sealant supplier, until the sealant supplier pointed out that the description on the products states it is only a Sealant when the roof light clearly needed a structural adhesive and, ideally. secondary mechanical fixings for safety.

Seems the manufacturers in question have been using Sealants so long to fix small plastic, low strain items that due diligence wasn't applied to the big rooflight.

If the rooflight detachment has happened to you, this is now acknowledged as a manufacturer defect and should be resolved under warranty, regardless of any time interval.

However, be prepared to be 'pushy' as many Dealers are denying there is an issue, "never heard of this before, it's a 'one off', etc".

Thanks for your reply, I have noted what you said.

I am only using the Silkaflex as a sealant and intend to mechanically fix the panel to the structural wood I can see under the roof. I have ordered 8 metal brackets that I intend to space with spacers and seal around. I will also add sealant to the bolt holes.

I will be checking the security on a monthly basis also. I can confirm 100%, I do not want to coming off.

Thanks again.

Archived