Broken pipe under sink in hymer

Morphboy13

Hi everyone. I'm new here and I hope someone can give me some advice on what may well be a simple matter on my 1999 hymer b584. The pipe leading left under the left sink (towards the hob drainage pipe) appears to have broken. As you'll see from my photo it's an even break. This is causing water to leak out into the cutlery drawer when draining either of the sinks. There isn't a blockage leading from the right sink towards the grey waste because I've tested it with hot water and that pipe gets hot as far as I can feel and the shower and bathroom drain fine (which in this model are nearer the grey waste tank). I'm therefore confident that repairing the break will solve the problem. My question is simply this. What should I use to fix the pipe? I'm thinking some sort of super glue then a waterproof tape wrapped round it. Your advice is appreciated.

Webp.net-compress-image.thumb.jpg.a76bd84f2de38d3aed4ec93e0225b233.jpg

Gorilla markets “Waterproof Patch & Seal Tape”

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Gorilla-Waterproof-Patch-Seal-Tape-Size-3m-X-100mm/4031283491?iid=392266829313

but I echo Billggski’s suggestion to use a tube. If a tube were inserted into the black broken-off part and the tube extended into the black thing (on the right of the photo) that it’s broken off from, that should at least stabilise the two parts’ connection before gluing/taping them.

(I’m guessing that the black thing on the right that the blue pipe was attached to is a waste-trap for the kitchen sinks. Such traps are marketed (examples here)

https://tinyurl.com/y3res9ck

but I don’t know if one suitable for a 1999 Hymer motorhome would still be obtainable.)

Just a thought?

I agree with the internal pipe idea, but it might be worth also using plastic pipe weld to join the broken pipe, rather than ordinary glue. Plastic pipe weld actually "melts" the plastic so could form a waterproof seal while ordinary glue simply bridges the two surfaces.

Obviously it would be sensible to test that pipe weld will work on that particular type of plastic with a dab on the pipe body to see if it "melts" it before commencing.

This sort of thing

https://tinyurl.com/yy68rk7c

Think I'd probably go the other way and look to find a plumbing connector that will fit over this piece and then fix it with solvent weld glue.

Have a measure of the pipe and pop in to B&Q and find a matching connector. I can't be sure but looking at that I reckon a 40mm waste connector would fit. If you don't have one, a cheap vernier gauge will help measure it or take the broken bit off the blue pipe and take it with you.

By fixing a pipe on the outside of the existing, you won't restrict the flow.

That connection is just the drain connection for spillage in the hob unit. The black part attached ( just stuck on ) to the waste connector is 28 mm in diameter. If you did not want to try to repair the broken bit, you could use a length of 28 mm bore hose, angled up towards the hob, and push the blue hose down inside it.

Brian B.

Guest pelmetman

My old mans hardly used 3 year old Hymer had the exact same problem ;-) .......

At first we couldn't work out why his cutlery draw was filling with water :-S ......

Solved the problem with one of those clip over wine stoppers :D .......

Progress eh? (lol) ...........

Pelmetman.....lol (lol) Ooh....I like Brian's idea. I hadn't realised that the broken bit can be separated from the sink fitment. That being the case the bore hose sounds like a simple fix. Once again.... amazing help everyone. I'll be asking more stuff on here in the future cos I really need to learn how to fix things myself as my big old lad reaches old age.

;-)

Archived