New boxes for 'freeview'?

colin

Looks like Sky are about to shake up terestrial digital , they want to dump sky3, sky news and sky news sports, and replace them with a subscription service. Not interested? well they will need a new box with mpeg4 compression, will other channels follow? will present freeview box's become obsolite before digital switch over? I'm leaving buying a freeview for van till the last moment.

colin - 2007-02-08 9:14 PM

Looks like Sky are about to shake up terestrial digital , they want to dump sky3, sky news and sky news sports, and replace them with a subscription service. Not interested? well they will need a new box with mpeg4 compression, will other channels follow? will present freeview box's become obsolite before digital switch over? I'm leaving buying a freeview for van till the last moment.

They only cost 35€ (about £25) here in Spain, are they more than that in the UK? Not exactly a king's ransom?

pay peanuts - get monkeys??

sky are rip-off merchants with an unacceptable monopoly imv, ever tried getting any information out of them - n/a by e-mail, 'phone calls take forever to find a real person, I've known the call to 'drop out' while waiting for a proper response - at that is not easy to achieve

I tell ya - come the revolution ... .. .. .. >:-)

B-)

derek500 - 2007-02-08 8:22 PM

They only cost 35€ (about £25) here in Spain, are they more than that in the UK? Not exactly a king's ransom?

I agree it's not be a king's ransom - but it's a way of generating extra revenue for no benefit to the consumer.

There again, can't remember the last time I watched any Sky channels on Freeview so it ain't gona bother me is it :-D

Graham

I think that Murdoch is a Crook,and wouldnt touch anything that he has anything to do with. I guess that means I will be sticking to Terrestial digital TV.

I think that the changeover is now too close for anyone (even Murdoch) to be able to change the set-up,without causing a Major row, which would slow up the switch off of the analogue signal. The government has its sights on auctioning off all that 'spare bandwidth' and won't want anyone slowing the 'Switch off' down. Gordon Brown loves his 'Windfalls'

too much. No worries. :D

Rayjsj - 2007-02-10 9:55 PM

I think that Murdoch is a Crook,and wouldnt touch anything that he has anything to do with. I guess that means I will be sticking to Terrestial digital TV.

I think that the changeover is now too close for anyone (even Murdoch) to be able to change the set-up,without causing a Major row, which would slow up the switch off of the analogue signal. The government has its sights on auctioning off all that 'spare bandwidth' and won't want anyone slowing the 'Switch off' down. Gordon Brown loves his 'Windfalls'

too much. No worries. :D

1. Sky already has a presence on DTT. Sky Three, Sky News and Sky Sports News.

2. You'd be hard pressed not to touch anything that he (Murdoch) has anything to do with. Lots of non Sky TV channels are full of programmes that come from Fox TV in the US and lots of films shown on TV and in cinemas come from 20th Century Fox.

3. Murdoch is not really changing the set up which would affect the analogue switch off. All Sky are doing, is giving the people who want to watch Premiership footy, England cricket, Ryder Cup etc the chance to do so without having to get a satellite dish, by converting his Freeview space to a different broadcast standard that will allow more channels and a securer encryption standard.

Hi, How is this different from TopUp TV that is already encryted on Freeview ?? will those boxes that have a card slot for Topup TV be OK

3. Murdoch is not really changing the set up which would affect the analogue switch off. All Sky are doing, is giving the people who want to watch Premiership footy, England cricket, Ryder Cup etc the chance to do so without having to get a satellite dish, by converting his Freeview space to a different broadcast standard that will allow more channels and a securer encryption standard.

enodreven - 2007-02-10 11:06 PM

Hi, How is this different from TopUp TV that is already encryted on Freeview ?? will those boxes that have a card slot for Topup TV be OK

Quite simply Sky are changing their broadcast standard on DTT to mpeg4. This means they will be able to offer viewers four channels instead of the three they have now and they can also offer the technical quality that Sky viewers can enjoy through satellite i.e High Definition and Dolby 5.1 sound.

To do this a new box is required.

Speaking from a purely selfish, personal point of view this won't bother me at all as I never watch any of the Sky channels on DTT. Presumably Sky will be marketing a DTT box that can handle MPEG4 to enable those who want their channels to get them. Now if we could get the "caravan channel" programmes on DTT I might be interested although that alone probably wouldn't persuade me to pay the extra cost involved.

D.

Thanks, derek500

Brian

derek500 - 2007-02-11 12:06 PM

enodreven - 2007-02-10 11:06 PM

Quite simply Sky are changing their broadcast standard on DTT to mpeg4. This means they will be able to offer viewers four channels instead of the three they have now and they can also offer the technical quality that Sky viewers can enjoy through satellite i.e High Definition and Dolby 5.1 sound.

To do this a new box is required.

Whatever we think of Murdock he has been a major force for change to TV in this country, and this could be his break into DTT. Looking in the crystal ball I can see this as a bid to launch Hi-Def DTT, the BBC are trialing it now from Ally Plly for a couple of hundred viewers but OffCom will not release a slot 'cheap' for public broadcasting. He did a similair thing on satellite and scuppered BSB, I dought that would happen to main channels, but as he signs more channels which mpeg4 will allow then he will pick up more market share with Hi-Def as selling point with others tagged on, how can other channels compete except to change to mpeg4? then you will need a new box, should be an interesting year in the TV world.

Archived