Fixing GPS in A Class van

Rees

I am thinking of buying a Garmin Nuvi for use on the continent in our A Class motohome (it is a Marquis Mirage). The front windscreen is further away fronm the driver that in our previous C Class van.

How can I mount/fix the the screen in our new A Class vehicle so that it can be seen as I drive? It has been suggest to me at Halfords that I could use Velcrome to attach the screen to the dash board.

Guest JudgeMental

http://www.gpsforless.co.uk/product_details.php?id=4642

http://www.valuemax.co.uk/product_details.php?id=5910

http://www.mynewcheap.co.uk/products/car-sat-nav/sat-nav-holders-mounts/

links attached for various holders for TT and Garmin

I like the Garmin bean bag mount as it leaves no trace (sticky ring on windscreen) to encourage thieves. I have used it for 6 years without incident. It can be purchased separately and an adapter to fit Nuvi is available.

Have resisted Nuvi as it does not allow you to play with maps on your computer and download routes to the GPS unit. So sticking with 2610 for now. The TT ONE Europe is very good value @ under £200

I use a Garmin 2720 in an A Class based on a Fiat 2003 model.

After trying the unit with the bean bag mount in various positions I arrived at the following position.

The now perminent mount is secured on top of the dash on what was a tilting writing pad(slope). The signal it receives is good and it is within reach when driving. No remote antenna is used only the built in one.

By the way the maps used on some Garmin units have been updated recently, as has some software. Go to www.garmin.co.uk to check it out.

Hope this helps.

Guest JudgeMental
JohnP - 2007-02-10 10:32 AM

By the way the maps used on some Garmin units have been updated recently, as has some software. Go to www.garmin.co.uk to check it out.

Hope this helps.

Very good point JohnP,

V9 maps now out. Make sure if you buy Garmin it is V9. And don't be fooled by "it can be updated via Garmin site" it can, but sometimes there is a cost. Best to delay registering with Garmin then if V10 comes out you may be initialled to a "free upgrade" as this is sometimes dependent as to when you register present software.

John, only problem with your soloution is any one who looks in your window nows you have a sat nav on board...

Hi Judgemental

The maps cost about £40.00 to upgrade to V9 which came out in 2006. It has a much wider range in detail than V8. The additions can be seen on the Garmin site.

I prefer a unit with the ability to use a PC to plan routes. Easier on the old eyes.

Take your point about the perminent mount and I did give this careful thought when making the discision four years ago when using a Steetpilot 111 which was much heavier than my present model.

In my Rapido 924F I placed a piece of perspex in the document holder on the dash and fixed the sucker pad for my PDA based system to that it was given to me for free from the local sign maker, it works well and I think would for most removable type systems. the unit runs on the inbuilt ariel with no problems in this position.

Bill Ord

Hi Rees

I just fitted a tom-tom in our Mirage and had the same problem ! how I got around it was. I bought a second base fixing and charger on ebay I used a piece of Perspex shaped a bit of ply to sit up to the ridge in the dash, screwed the Perspex to the ply stuck Velcro to both the ply and dash face to the area L/H side of the steering wheel to centre tucked the 12volt cable

in-between the heater vents and down the L/H side of the centre dash consul directly above the cig lighter (tucked the excess cable in pocket next to cig lighter. I can now remove the tot-tom fixing plate only leaves a bit Velcro showing and plug in 12 volt supply when needed. It works well for me .

Regards MikeT

I have my TOM TOM 510 wedged in the cup holder on the left of the cab centre consol. I find that it is out of prying eyes sight whilst travelling or more importantly, parking.

I also find that I only need the voice commands 90% of the time, so no visual distraction like the dash top or screen mounted units.

I thought I might have problems with the signal, but it's still showing 7 or 8 satelites being picked up.

Looked at the Garmin Bean Bag, thinking it may weigh it down in the cup holder but it's not suitable.

I'll make a double bag, inner one for the beans and outer with a draw-cord to secure around the Tom Tom base.

In towns the wife watches the screen and so I get two running commentaries.

Flicka

Archived