2008 Ducato Cab Parcel Shelf Removal - how easy is it?

johnlc

I've got a water leak in the cab of my 2008 Ducato. The water seems to congregate in the cab light fitting and when I go round corners it comes out of each end of the parcel shelf adjacent to the windscreen.

I can't see anything obvious in terms of holes in the roof guttering, so am guessing that the problem is with the windscreen seal at the top of the screen.

Rather than pay a Fiat dealer to investigate I wondered how easy it is to remove the parcel shelf and integrated light fitting so I could pour water at the top of the screen area to see where it is coming in.

Has anyone removed the cab parcel shelf ? Is it reasonably easy?

I can't see any obvious ways of getting it out but would appreciate any guidance.

Thanks in anticipation

I'd go the other route and find a windscreen fitter and get him to have a look, he'll have more idea as to the best way to fix the leak.

Think about it for a minute. Let's say you get the parcel shelf out easily and you can see, unlikely though, where the water's coming in. The what will you do? Squirt some sealant in, test it, put it back together and after a few miles the problem will probably come back, at which point you'll do one of two things.

A)do the job again,

B) get an expert on it or

C flog it.

twenty quid to an Autoglass fitter now is got to be easiest

If you think the leak is between the windscreen and the cab at some point you could try Capt. Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure.

I've used it on a caravan window to seal the two "double glazing" layers and more recently an invisible leak twixt a shower tray and the tiled wall.

Its in liquid form and finds the leaking hole in the same way as water - but then seals and forms a barrier. Worth a try and you've nothing to lose!

Thanks for the responses. I'll have a go at sealing the windscreen from the top on the outside with the Captain Tolley's stuff that I hadn't heard of. As you say, nothing to lose.

If that doesn't work it's on to Autoglass or somebody I suspect.

Fiat Dealer rates round here are £80 + Vat per hour.

Thanks

Could be the rubber seal on the aerial just above the shelf has perished or become dislodged. It is worth a look.

If it's the same sort of shelf that is on my Citroen relay it is pretty easy to take off but requires a 2nd person as it is quite bulky. I'm sure it's just Allen bolts holding it on. You'll have to disconnect the light before you drop the shelf.

Hi Johnic I may be able to save you a few hours work. I had exactly the same problem with my 2009 Autosleeper Warwick (same body shell). If you have a awning fitted check to see that the attachment to the ‘mushrooms on the roof have not been over tightened. Mine had causing the seam on the roof to split and allow water in and because of the way it tracks through the seam it looks all the world like a windscreen leak. Took me weeks to find my leak so hope this helps.

Archived