Refillable gas bottles - what you may need to know..

cps23

Guest pelmetman

Cant say I've had many issues ;-) ........

We couldn't fill up en route last year at a station because they were empty, so filled up at the next.........We've been on Spanish gas bottles since....... Perhaps I need to load the trailer? :D ..........

Within 10 miles of where I live there are six providers of autogas and two of these (both service stations also selling petrol/diesel fuel) are listed on the Safefill website and (presumably) would be comfortable with someone ‘forecourt filling’ a Safefill bottle.

The UK-wide reduction in the number of autogas outlets has been discussed here before and, while this has inevitably resulted in some areas becoming autogas ‘deserts’, there are still many places where autogas can be obtained.

Obtaining the initial fill of a Safefill bottle is likely to be more challenging than for a system where the botlle does not need to be removed from the motorhome or a gas-locker door be opened. After that it will be a matter of knowing where autogas outlets are on one’s travels.

Although I usually refill my car with petrol at a local supermarket I am not compelled to always do this and, if I drive the car long distance and need to refuel, I do it at a convenient service station.

Autogas outlets in any country (not just in the UK) are and always have been significantly less common then petrol/diesel fuel stations but, once that limitation has been appreciated, a user-refillable LPG bottle system is likely to remain a practicable and attractive proposition for some years to come.

Archived