Hair dryer no leccy

peteS

She who must be obeyed has instructed her serf to make sure she can use her hair dryer at all times on all sites.

So with e/hookup no prob usually

When no hookup available I could get an invertor but her hair dryer is 1800W. Now these things are not only very expensive but will also knock hell out of the battery.

I have found some 12v jobbies.

Does anyone have experience of these? Will they do the job?

What do you/wives do?

All and any help much appreciated.

Pete

Hi Peter,

Have you considered - you can get different accessories for the warm air ducting, from Y or T pieces for more heat outlets, to a hair dryer attachment that you connect to one of the warm air outlets.

This is basically a length of flexible air pipe, with a connector to fit one of the air outlets, and a diffuser on the other end to blow the warm air over your hair, so you have a hair dryer you can use where ever your van is parked, no need for mains electricity.

No patent on this Judgemental - just incase you wanted to make a bob or two...!!

Regards Terry

peteS - 2007-02-10 2:11 PM She who must be obeyed has instructed her serf to make sure she can use her hair dryer at all times on all sites. So with e/hookup no prob usually When no hookup available I could get an invertor but her hair dryer is 1800W. Now these things are not only very expensive but will also knock hell out of the battery. I have found some 12v jobbies. Does anyone have experience of these? Will they do the job? What do you/wives do? All and any help much appreciated. Pete

Get a travel plug converter (UK square pin to continental round pin) and send hre to the shower block to use her hair dryer.  This is camping Pete, one has to improvise a bit!

Dave Newell - 2007-02-10 6:21 PM

Drive very fast and stick her head out of the window >:-) >:-)

(only kidding)

D.

Is that how you dry Dex after a bath then? (lol)

If the toilet has a warm air hand dryer, she can stick her head under that to dry her hair, my hubby does it all the time! 8-)

It's got too be Terry's solution for me, thanks.

It reminds my wife of the early 70's when she had a Ronson Hairdrier, which had a power pack on a shoulder strap, connected by a flexible duct to a hood.

My wife has a very thick head of hair and it takes an age drying with a conventional hairdryer, never mind a lower powered travel type.

Terry's solution can be used wherever we are and as my wife is partially disabled she will be able to dry it in the van, whether we have hook-up or not.

as I posted in another thread, try to learn something new everyday or is it like fashion everything come back in fashion given time.

I think i'll have to dig out the bell bottoms and paisley shirts.

Flicka.

Veteran MMM forumers may recall me asking this very same question some years ago, and the hilarity caused by my wish for a safe-to-use gas-fuelled hair-drier.

The small 12V driers are hopeless and, although linking in to the motorhome's blown-air system is clearly a practical proposition, the idea that any self-respecting woman will agree to wave the end of several of metres of 2"-diameter flexible pipe at her beloved coiffure seems seriously optimistic to me. Besides which, my wife wishes to wash/dry her hair independent of season or weather and the last thing I'd want to do is fire up the Truma Combi in my 'van in sweltering mid-summer just for a hair-drying session.

As the male forum-members have enjoyed a good laugh about what is (to me) a very serious subject, I'd be interested in (suitably scathing) comments from the ladies.

Hi pete to run a hairdryer there is really only one option, and thats a genny.

Its possible to use an inverter but an 1800watt dryer is going to be dragging close to 180amps out of your batteries, if she uses a travel hairdryer it will just take her twice as long to dry her hair.

As the faster you drain a battery the less you get out, they ain't going to last long. High and deep discharges will also shorten their life.

I have 6x100amp batteries ok in an RV with a 2ton payload, but to much for most Europeans, even then if the wife is going to do anything but a quick blast it's on with the genny. Fuel is cheap, good batteries aint.

Olley

To be honest, it all seems like a lot of hassle to me, tho admittedly I do have short hair. I use a 12v hairdryer if necessary, use dryers or electric points in sites shower blocks if available, or let it dry in the sun if there's no wind and I can keep it 'in style'. I can't believe some of the posts are serious - [a genny !! :-> for pity's sake!!] - you're camping *-) I thought it was only the CC that required twin set, pearls, n shampoo and set!>:-)

I have a friend who has really really really thick hair that she cannot let dry naturally, she uses masses of conditioner and makes sure she washes her hair when they are on sites with the option to use the hairdryer facilities in the shower blocks. She has always managed successfully and doesn't see it as a problem :-S

B-)

Scathing comment as follows:

the people that I know who can't survive without a hairdryer include: brother-in-law, friend's husband, 2 male cousins,

so in my experience you guys are much worse, we ladies just get on with life. The examples quoted regard 4* hotels as slumming it!! :->

B-)

twooks - 2007-02-11 5:06 PM Scathing comment as follows: the people that I know who can't survive without a hairdryer include: brother-in-law, friend's husband, 2 male cousins, so in my experience you guys are much worse, we ladies just get on with life. The examples quoted regard 4* hotels as slumming it!! :-> B-)

Right on, Babe!  Personally, I always let mine dry in the sun! :-)

Derek Uzzell - 2007-02-11 8:28 AM

Veteran MMM forumers may recall me asking this very same question some years ago, and the hilarity caused by my wish for a safe-to-use gas-fuelled hair-drier.

, although linking in to the motorhome's blown-air system is clearly a practical proposition, the idea that any self-respecting woman will agree to wave the end of several of metres of 2"-diameter flexible pipe at her beloved coiffure seems seriously optimistic to me.

How about conecting to one of those 'space helmet' jobbies they use in hair salons?

Archived