Pro V Cons on TomTom Sat Navs

Barney123

Been coming up against to many narrow roads lately, so have given in and decided to either go for a TT Snooper or the TT Go Professional 6250. I know the Snooper has been around for some while and the Go Pro one is a newbe, plus of course there is the price difference.

Anyone had any dealing with both or ??

Thanks

There’s a 2019 review here that may be of interest

https://www.wandering-bird.com/best-motorhome-sat-nav/

There’s a Snoper review here

https://caravansatnav.com/snooper-ventura-s8110-review.php

and some comments on the TT 6250 here

http://www.blogistan.co.uk/blog/mt.php/2017/09/30/review-tomtom-go-professional-6250

http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=150086&p=2376712

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TomTom-Professional-European-Including-Motor-homes/product-reviews/B07144Y466

What do you use at the moment?

(I'm on my 2nd Garmin - neither of which is a 'motorhome’ sat-nav - and I’d be reluctant to swap to a different make simply because of the unfamiliarity factor.)

Thanks Derek, I will have a look at those links.

I had the old TT XXL (which I have still got as emergencies) and now got the TT GO6100. The Go6100 is brand new as my earlier one went on the blink and TT just replaced it with a new one.

Guest pelmetman

My 29 quid bargain XCODY that Alan recommended has been much better than my ancient Tom Tom B-) ...........

As for dimensions?......... I just tell it I'm a bus :D .........

Which can take you the long way round if you're familiar with the route :-| .......

Better than being stuck up a narrow street with a trailer 8-) ........

(I'm on my 2nd Garmin - neither of which is a 'motorhome’ sat-nav - and I’d be reluctant to swap to a different make simply because of the unfamiliarity factor.)

Hi Derek,

I have had a good look at those links which you kindly sent and am still in 2 minds of which path to take.

Over this past few years I have had plenty of narrow escapes with narrow roads and low bridges mainly over in Europe and only 3 weeks ago down in Devon a narrow road with passing areas made me start to think I got to do something, as I got side swipped with a van coming the other way and I had stopped to let him pass.

I can still drive my motorhome but I have now got the hassle of having to wait for parts being ordered by the garage.

I think I will have to go for the Snooper as it hasnt got as many con's as the Go Professional 6250 has, unless someone knows different.

So in meantime, if anyone is looking for a TT XXL which is fully up to date since April 2019 but now no further updates are available. Or a TT Go6100 again fully up to date with an extended warranty until 23/02/2020. Get in touch..

Barney123 - 2019-06-17 8:50 PM

Hi Derek,

I have had a good look at those links which you kindly sent and am still in 2 minds of which path to take.

Over this past few years I have had plenty of narrow escapes with narrow roads and low bridges mainly over in Europe and only 3 weeks ago down in Devon a narrow road with passing areas made me start to think I got to do something, as I got side swipped with a van coming the other way and I had stopped to let him pass.

I can still drive my motorhome but I have now got the hassle of having to wait for parts being ordered by the garage.

I think I will have to go for the Snooper as it hasnt got as many con's as the Go Professional 6250 has, unless someone knows different.

So in meantime, if anyone is looking for a TT XXL which is fully up to date since April 2019 but now no further updates are available. Or a TT Go6100 again fully up to date with an extended warranty until 23/02/2020. Get in touch..

Barney.......depending on what sort of touring/travelling you do i'd be tempted to hang on to at least one of your TomTom units. Always handy to have as a standby.

I've got a TTGo750 Live but after finding it couldn't read co-ordinates in East European countries, i bought a Garmin 760 Camper as all Gamins will read them. The main difference between the two is inputting of co-ordinates differs on Garmins and does take a bit of getting used to.

However that became my main GPS but i hung on to my TT. Good job too as one year after returning from a trip, driving out of Dover up the M20 the Garmin suddenly went totally bonkers with the cursor arrow flying off at a great rate of knots! Fortunately i knew the junction i needed and roads, but had that happened during a tour, i'd have been stuck. I had to wipe the GPS and do a fresh download before it got sorted which took time.

So it's worth thinking about hanging on to one of your units.

I had a problem with my Tom Tom identifying GPS location & thought it was time to bin it.

A few days later I had an email from Tom Tom regarding a GPS rollover date (early April) saying they were working on it.

Went on their website a couple of weeks later & found "My Upgrade" tab. Input the serial, as requested & upgrade downloaded in approx 30minutes. All good now.

Bought a Tomtom 710 in 2007 and used it with pretty good sucess till recently . Decided to go for the new Garmin/Avtex and it took a bit of getting used to as the TT was much simpler to use but we are now getting the hang of it. Its good that the sites are preloaded and MH suitability route. However the live coverage on road closures is not reliable always,

Hi, I'm in the process of looking to buy a Camper Sat Nav. I've read countless pros/cons of the various models, at present using a car Garmin. Not the best I have to say. The short list keeps coming back to the Agrui RV720. One of the attractions being it has a dash cam. I believe Agrui use to be marketed as the Snopper? Has anyone got experience of this model please? Thanks J C.

Would love to see a side by side test of a normal £100 satnav and a £350 MH version.

We have always used a 'normal' satnav and if the road looks a bit unsuitable we continue along the current road.

It does seem to work OK.

We use a Tom Tom Via and also OsmAnd maps on the phone to give a check...they agree virtually all the time (In fact having three ladies emitting instructions at the same time is quite lively...but at least two of them are normally in tune!)

OsmAnd gives a much more user friendly quick and highly detailed look around the area in seconds if required.

I've changed to the Falcon, (special offer at show) which allows vehicle size to be input, then gives option to choose car or motorhome at startup & campsite poi's installed.

Found it very easy to use (switched from Tom Tom Go700).

They also have a model which includes a dash cam.

Check out their website for current prices, especially v TomTom.

I've also used Google Maps on smart phone as a comparison.

Archived