TV/Skybox 230/240 volt noise

bertyboy

Hi everyone,

I have just installed a 230/40 volt LCD flat screen TV along with a Skybox both operating of a inverter it all works well with thw exception of a buzz on both the inverter abd the TV. If I only run the Skybox off the inverter and run the TV of the van 230/40volt supply it is ok. But obviously that would restrict me to using the tv when on hookup can anyone help with this please. I also have trouble with my Toad alarm and cannot find a mobile engineer near me in North Essex who can fix it if you know of one please enlighten me.

Bertyboy

'Incontinence Hotline ... Can you hold please?'

Hi Brian,

I haven't had much experience with inverters, as I run everything via 12 volts with DC to DC converters.

You could try running the inverter on the TV only, thus determining whether the problem is with the TV and inverter combination. If that clears the fault, then you might be asking too much from the inverter, the load being too high for both devices to run at the same time.

You might also try positioning the inverter as far away from the TV as you can, paying particular attention to either the TV RF and scart inputs.

Regards Terry

The most likely cause is the inverter. chances are its one of the cheaper modified sine wave type units that can give rise to interference, especially on

TVs. It could be worth trying an earth wire from the inverter casing to the vehicles chassis but its more likely t obe the quasi sine wave output upsetting the TVs PSU.

D.

Last year I bought a flat screen TV (12/240) and plugged into either the cigar lighter socket in the dash or the socket supplied in the back of the M/H

No problem. I also carried an extra loose battery (secured) and used it with that, no problems with anything.

I think Bil has a valid point Dave, but needs some clarification perhaps?

A device with a 12 volt DC input AND a 230/240 AC input using different leads to connect to the power source, will allow the device to run on either voltage without damage, and is not too sensitive to a varying 12 volts input.

If you only have one input of 12 volts on the back of the device, and the device is supplied with a 240/250 volt AC/DC adaptor ONLY, but not a separate car adapter, then although the device will run off of 12 volts directly, such as a car/leisure battery, it MAY not run for long........ without damage.

Regards Terry

Archived