Bench seat telescopic lift brackets.

keen canary

Hi all

We have an Elddis Autoquest 115 2 berth 2018.

While away on our last trip my wife was making up the bed for the night and she lifted one of the side bench seats to its maximum height . When I returned from the late evening dog walk she pointed out that it did not seem to want to return to the closed position.These side bench seats are fitted with telescopic type arm brackets. I took a look and did not want to force anything and break the telescopic arms so in the interest of a good nights sleep I removed the screws from one end and released the ends of both brackets so we could close down the seat. The van is under warranty of course but I would like to resolve this issue myself if I can.

Wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar.

Hopefully yours, Keen Canary

A bench seat ‘stay’ may have some sort of locking mechanism that will retain the seat in its fully raised position and that will need to be released before the seat can be lowered. However, if the stay is a simple telescopic strut (spring or gas type) as shown in attached image, there probably won’t be a lock.

(I don’t know what type of telescopic bracket Elddis uses, so a photo might be helpful.)

As you’ve already disconnected one end of the stay, I’m guessing it should be straightforward to disconnect the other end to allow you to remove it for inspection. Once you’ve done that, it OUGHT to be possible to decide if the seat-lowering problem is being caused by the stays themselves or how Elddis has mounted them (ie. the ‘geometry’ of where the stay is screwed to the underside of the seat and to the seat’s base means that considerable effort is required to lower the fully-raised seat).

stay.jpg.cfae60981ab9103afe9bc77942976f35.jpg

Thankyou Derek for your response.

I have indeed now completely removed the strut and the seat will freely open and shut albeit with some effort as it is quite heavy. As you say the problem now seems with the strut. I have picked up a makers name on the strut and will shortly be contacting them.

Thanks again for your help.

Keen Canary

Hello Derek

After contacting the makers of the strut and sending them pics they confirmed that the struts had been fitted correctly. They advised refitting the strut and using more down ward force to close the seat down. This I did and happy to say that despite my reservations the strut is working again. I was probably over cautious as I did not want to force and break.

Many thanks.

Keen Canary

Archived