speed limits for motorhomes?

mauramac

Sorry if this has already been covered but I tried to do a search and came up with nothing....my fault, I've never really cracked the "search code" :$

Recently read a letter in a MH magazine where the writer states that she was astonished to read about a man being prosecuted for driving a hired van at 59mph on a de-restricted single-carriageway not realising that he was limited to 50mph. He complained that the Van Hire company had not warned him of the speed limit. She goes on to state that not only was she astonished at his ignorance but also her own as she had not been aware of this speed limit either. She went on to look at the Highway Code and qoutes from it Rule no.103. It is rather lengthy so will not repeat it all on here.

My question is?

Was she confusing the rule which seems to apply to 'Vans' and different vehicle weights or is there in fact a definitive speed limit which applies just for Motorhomes. (Also would welcome speed limits for caravans as my son about to purchase his first one and we are already really confused about 'weight' issues on that subject)

Thanks for any advice.

There is a table in the Caravan Club Handbook(2007 page 623)

That shows the limits.

Passenger vehicle or Motor caravan with unladen weight up to 3.05 tonne &/or up to 8 passengers in addition to the Driver, as:-

Single carriageway = 60mph,

Dual Carriageway = 70mph,

Motorway =70mph.

Passenger vehicle or Motor caravan with unladen weight over 3.05 tonne &/or up more than 8 passengers in addition to the Driver , but < 12metres long as:-

Single carriageway = 50mph,

Dual Carriageway = 60mph,

Motorway =70mph.

Passenger vehicle or Motor caravan with unladen weight over 3.05 tonne &/or up more than 8 passengers in addition to the Driver , but >12metres long as:-

Single carriageway = 50mph,

Motorway =60mph.

Passenger vehicle or Motor caravan towing a Caravan or other Trailer Single carriageway = 50mph,

Motorway =60mph.

Flicka

The 3.05 unladen weight limit for motorhomes is, of course, a throwback to imperial days (3 imperial tons = 3.048 metric tommes), it's been in the statute book that long!

We are the ONLY country in Europe that does not use 3500 Kgs GVW/MAM (Maximum Allowed Loaded Weight, in other words) as the dividing point for lower speed limits.

And our limit is almost unenforceable for motorhomes since their unladen weight is not required on the vehicle plate as it is for commercial vehicles. I can almost guarantee that no poster to this forum knows the unladern weight of their motorhome!

derek500 - 2007-02-18 4:56 PM

Mel E - 2007-02-18 5:39 PM

I can almost guarantee that no poster to this forum knows the unladern weight of their motorhome!

I do!! My McLouis is 2740Kg (weight when empty).

So do I.

I have a data plate on dashboard with weights and sizes so I know instantly if to risk that weak bridge on low barrier

even includes height with full roof rack of raceboards from my windsurfing days

this letter was in the paper ages ago, except then it was the Saturday edition of the Daily Telegraph - Honest John.

If your confusion is to do with the Highway Code then your best bet is to ignore it :-> it is a summary - designed for car drivers. Read the extract from Devon Constabulary, it covers both shortened and full version of the rules - which are from the Road Traffic Acts. Someone on another forum actually went to court on a speeding ticket on the strength of this - and got off.

B-)

UNLADEN WEIGHT

The unladen weight is defined in the 1986 Construction & Use Regulations as the empty weight without fluids (i.e., fuel and water - but not engine coolant or oil), without loose tools and equipment and without driver. This is not the same as the kerbside weight, which includes loose tools and euipment, a full tank of fuel and the driver at 75 Kgs.

Very few motorhome converters supply an unladen weight figure, as it can change, even for the same model, as they have to make changes to fittings, etc., because of parts availability.

If you really do know yours, then congratulations: most motorhome owners have no idea! I certainly don't because mine was a one-off conversion.

Had a quick look in the sales bumph (bumf ?) and I see that my Rapido 709 has an curb (kerb) weight of 2835 kg.

I assume curb weight is the same as unladen weight ??

Rgds

Just to add, in the sales Catalogue there are some quite large M/homes (over 6m length) that are below 3.05 kerb weight.

SPEED LIMITS

Incidentally, the Devon Constabulary web site is already out of date. Commercial vehicles of over 3500 Kgs MAM up to 7500 Kgs MAM are now restricted to the same speed limits as those over 7500 Kgs MAM (60 mph on motorways, etc) and are not allowed in the outside lane of motorways with 3 or more lanes.

This new restriction does not, however, apply to motorhomes in the same weight categories. However, since most motorhomes over 4000 Kgs MAM (or thereabouts) are likely to exceed 3050 Kgs unladen weight, the speed restrictions do apply.

Complicated, ain't it?

Mel E - 2007-02-18 4:39 PM The 3.05 unladen weight limit for motorhomes is, of course, a throwback to imperial days (3 imperial tons = 3.048 metric tommes), it's been in the statute book that long! We are the ONLY country in Europe that does not use 3500 Kgs GVW/MAM (Maximum Allowed Loaded Weight, in other words) as the dividing point for lower speed limits. And our limit is almost unenforceable for motorhomes since their unladen weight is not required on the vehicle plate as it is for commercial vehicles. I can almost guarantee that no poster to this forum knows the unladern weight of their motorhome!

Ho, ho!  It's 2790Kg kerb weight, and I know because I emptied it of everything except the jack, filled it with fuel, went to a weighbridge and weighed both axles and the van.  And I did that just so I could check your loadings spreadsheet, Mel - for which my thanks - which I'd adopted, but doctored a bit for my own conveniance. 

I then loaded it all back up, including the fresh water tank, did the same on the spreadsheet, went back to the weighbridge and re-weighed, and - guess what?  Yes, the spreadsheet answer was the same for each axle within 10Kg, which, given the weighbridge only weighs in 10Kg increments, I reckon is a pretty fair outcome!

Archived