2015 Hymer 588i 12v entry step

RFC7

A loud mechanical clicking is coming from the 12v Thule side step motor when retrieving it, it is quiet when coming out.

Any advice on the Forum as to whether this is a basic repair job or should I just replace the motor.

Regards

RFC7

I assumed that with no replies to my question re Hyner Motor Home step problem, it is not a particularly common problem.

However, for what it's worth I thought I would post the following information.

I suspected the gears had stripped inside the 12v motor, I removed it and two teeth had in fact broken off the main gear wheel. After several days of investigation on the internet, I failed to locate any replacement gears and i am pretty certain they are not available.

My next move was to locate an identical replacement motor, this is where it became very interesting !! I assumed (wrongly) that a Hymer step motor would be an individually designed piece of kit just for that function. I discovered that is definitely not the case. Of course, you could obtain a replacement from a Hymer main dealer or distributor at a cost well in excess of £100, or you could wake up to the fact that an identical Bosch motor (the actual manufacturer) is used for many different purposes on many different cars and trucks etc !!

I ordered the required Bosch part listed as a Mercedes Headlight adjuster, or seat mover or folding roof motor etc, etc, with same part number as my original.

It cost £32.00 was very easy to fit and the step is now operating perfectly: SORTED.

RFC7

I missed your earlier post otherwise could have saved you a day or so .Apologies for that. A friend had an identical problem - twice! He resolved it the second time using a similar solution to the one you have discovered. Apparently the nylon (or similar material) cogs are available on ebay at far less than a Hymer would charge.

The other recurrent issue he had with his new Hymer was concerning the taps that are not old fashioned valves, but involve a micro switch. The actual switch has failed and needed to be changed several times. They can sometimes be repaired using glue to re-seat the contact or wire that becomes displaced, but if a new switch has to be ordered they can be sourced online from alternative, i.e non-motorhome dealers.

Archived