Air con sorted!!

weldted

2012 Boxer 2,200 (130) air con failed last year thought 6 years old time for re-gas. Worked since then but output so so. Failed again four weeks ago in France 38c, had local garage check system for leaks as it would work intermittently, no leaks suspected may be low on gas or excess moisture. Vacuumed out re-gassed. All ok but stopped working on occasions then stopped altogether whilst driving back to UK 42c.

Had a look today, plenty of pressure (gas) checked various connections no go. Having checked the fuse and the relay all appeared working. Started engine up with cover off fuse box wiggled the air-con relay and it started working, took relay out very slightly twisted the blades replaced all working fine. The relay is in the fuse box under the bonnet by the air filter there is a row of three at the front, the air-con is the middle one.

Thanks Weldted,

While I do not have aircon you post is interesting in a wider spectrum.

1. As I recently stated on another thread, we all take the operation of the relays on the base vehicle for granted. (This excludes relays located behind fridge vents, plus convertor installed split charge and fridge relays installed under the bonnet.) The fact that we are able to take the operation of the relays for granted indicates that they are usually reliable. The socket inserts that mate with the relay blades are of high quality, so I am interestedpuzzled that you had problems with the connection. It is usually a struggle to remove these relays from their sockets.

2. If you rotate the engine bay fuse box in my 2006 x244 Ducato a quarter turn anticlockwise it would fit your description with the space for the aircon relay centre front, opposite the main 12V input cable. This suggests that the layout of the fusebox has not changed to any large extent.

I would like to draw attention to the potential hazard presented by the 12V supply connection in Engine Fusebox. The supply is via a 150A Mega Fuse (F70) in the Battery Fusebox. If this supply is inadvertantly shorted to earth, it could result in burns to the skin. With the fuse blown the vehicle would not be going anywhere until the fuse was replaced. In my vehicle the terminal is exposed when the cover is removed.

(I do accept that the relay problem would have been difficult to find without live testing.)

Alan

Hi Alanb, thank you for your input, this van had the fuse box replaced by Peugeot at 4 years old when several things stopped working. Care was taken when removing the relays just the three at the front, I was aware one of them was the air-con the outer ones were stiff to remove but the centre one (air-con) came out with very little effort. When ever I have had occasion to remove this type of fuse box cover I cover the exposed terminal with a piece of soft rubber, as you are correct in the live main feed terminal is exposed.

The most common reason on customers vans is when the cig lighter fuse has blown.

weldted - 2019-07-07 10:16 PM

The most common reason on customers vans is when the cig lighter fuse has blown.

Interesting again, Peugeot and Fiat must wire differently, or is it just the age of my vehicle? The cig lighter and power socket on my x244 are both fused on the LHS dashboard fuse panel, B002 on eLearn, or CVM in the handbook.

Alan

Archived