Towing: vehicle and licence restrictions.

Brian Kirby

In response to a recent query on what can, and cannot, legally be towed, I responded on the limitations applicable to the tow vehicle.  As these now seem to have been lost from the forum, I have set them out again, and added what I could find out regarding driving licences.

First, however, a caution: the following states only the extent of my knowledge, based on my own investigations.  I do not claim expertise, so please do not rely implicitly upon this post and, if in any doubt, do check with the DfT, the DVLA, or the police.  Similarly, if you know any of the above to be incorrect, please do post corrections.

Tow vehicles have four legally significant load conditions.

1.    The maximum authorised mass (MAM).  This is stated on a plate attached to the vehicle by its manufacturer, normally in the engine bay, and is the maximum weight the vehicle is permitted to attain when loaded.  This is an absolute limit and must not be exceeded.

2.    The gross train weight (GTW).  This is the maximum permissible weight of the vehicle plus any attached trailer.  There may also be a restriction on actual trailer weight.    In this case, subject to the latter, the weight of tow vehicle and trailer will be their actual laden weights (ALW).  There is thus scope for trading between tow vehicle and trailer within the overall GTW limit.  However, the GTW and any further maximum trailer weight limit are absolute limits which must not be exceeded.

3.    The maximum tow bracket downforce.  This is the maximum vertical load that can be transmitted to the tow vehicle structure via the tow bracket.  It is normally stated in the vehicle manufacturer’s handbook.  Except in the case of Type Approved tow brackets fitted to cars, this may not agree with the similar restriction set by the tow bracket manufacturer.  Where there is a difference, observe the lower value.

4.    The unladen weight (ULW) or kerb weight.  This is the weight of the vehicle with all fixtures in place, including battery, fuel, lubricants, coolant, spare wheel, jack and wheelbrace, but without any loose equipment or occupants.  This is normally quoted in the maker’s handbook, but may not be fully reliable where particular model variants or optional equipment is concerned.

The tow bracket itself has two legally significant load conditions.

a.    The maximum drawbar load.  Usually stated on a plate attached to the tow bracket.  This is the maximum weight of trailer the tow bracket is designed to pull.  This is an absolute limit and must not be exceeded.

b.    The maximum vertical load.  Also stated on the tow bracket plate.  This is the maximum vertical load that the tow bracket itself is designed for.  It is an absolute limit and must not be exceeded.  It may not agree with the similar restriction set by the tow vehicle manufacturer.  Where there is a difference, observe the lower value.

Trailers have two legally significant load conditions

i        Their MAM.  As 1 above, this is an absolute limit and must not be exceeded.

ii       The maximum coupling downforce, stated on the coupling head.  This is an absolute limit and must not be exceeded.  It is likely this will exceed the downforce limit for either the tow vehicle, or the tow bracket.  Observe which of the three is the lower value.

Provided all the above are observed, so far as the vehicle and its trailer are concerned, all should now be legal.

There are then two recommendations that relate to stability of the trailer and tow vehicle combination.

A.  The ALW (note, not MAM) of the trailer should not exceed 85% of the ULW of the tow vehicle.  This is based upon experience and research and is designed to ensure the tow vehicle is capable of controlling the trailer under a wide variety of wind, road, topography, braking, and traffic conditions.  In this connection, where a trailer is towed by a vehicle equipped with ABS, the benefits of ABS carry through to the trailer.

B.   The downforce measured at the coupling head (the noseweight) should be between 7% and 10% of the ALW (again, not MAM) of the trailer.  This is derived similarly to “A” above, and is designed to ensure the trailer remains stable and snake free under the same variety of wind, road, topography, and traffic conditions.  The lower figure is commonly recommended in UK, the higher figure in Europe, where higher towing speeds are permitted.

With these recommendations observed, along with legal restrictions, a tow should be fully legal, and should remain stable under practically any road conditions normally likely to be encountered. 

So much for the tow vehicle.  Where the fun really starts, is when we get to the driving licence.  There are critical differences between what you can legally tow, and what is legal as a tow vehicle/trailer combination.  These depend upon the categories of vehicles for which your licence is valid and, in some cases, when you passed your test.  I will attempt to set these out briefly and clearly, as relevant to towing with motorhomes.  There are also two useful links setting out the UK, and European, driving licence requirements.  They are here:  http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leaflets/inf30.pdf, and here http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:31991L0439:EN:HTML

Firstly, provided you are under 70 years of age, if you passed your driving test before 1 January 1997, you are entitled to drive any combination of category B, B+E, C1, C1+E, D1 and D1+E, up to a combined MAM limit of 8,250Kg, subject to any restrictions affecting the vehicles themselves, until expiry of your present licence (usually your 70th birthday).

The relevant vehicle categories, and what they mean, are:

B            A vehicle with a MAM up to 3,500Kg.  Under this category, you may tow a trailer with a MAM (note, not ALW) up to 750Kg: also, you may tow a trailer with a MAM greater than 750Kg provided that i) the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the ULW of the tow vehicle and ii) the sum of trailer MAM + tow vehicle MAM does not exceed 3,500Kg.  In the case of i) or ii) 3,500Kg is an absolute limit.

B+E       A vehicle with a MAM up to 3,500Kg, plus a trailer with a MAM exceeding 750Kg, or exceeding the ULW of the tow vehicle.  Oddly, there is no upper weight limit for the trailer.  (In practice, this will be restricted by the tow vehicle GTW or trailer weight limit)  However, if you passed your test after 1 January 1997, you will need to take an additional test to get B+E.

C1          A vehicle with a MAM between 3,500Kg and 7,500Kg, which may tow a trailer with MAM up to 750Kg.  Unless you hold C1+E, both the 7,500Kg and the 750Kg are absolute limits.  No offsetting between them is permissible.

C1+E     For those with pre 1 January 1997 driving licences: a vehicle with a MAM between 3,500Kg and 7,500Kg, towing a trailer with MAM exceeding 750Kg provided that the sum of trailer MAM and tow vehicle MAM does not exceed 8,250Kg.

For those with post 1 January 1997 licences, or who have upgraded pre 1 January 1997 licences by taking an additional test: a vehicle with a MAM between 3,500Kg and 7,500Kg, towing a trailer with MAM exceeding 750Kg provided that i) the sum of trailer MAM and tow vehicle MAM does not exceed 12,000Kg and ii) the ALW of the trailer does not exceed the ULW of the tow vehicle.

Two corrections to the above.

1)  I referred, at item 4, to unladen weight as being the same as kerbweight.  This is technically incorrect, as the unladen weight should not include the weight of fuel.  However, as the weight of fuel is not that great in relationship to the weight of a motorhome, the difference is unlikely to be significant.  (Apart from the 85% rule, ULW is really only of relevance to speed limits.  Since the ULW is not plated on the vehicle, whether or not you can legally drive at 60MPH on ordinary roads and 70MPH on motorways and dual carriageways, or must adhere to 50MPH and 60MPH respectively, is a bit of a moot point!)

2)  I referred, at item A, to the ULW of the tow vehicle.  This reference, strictly, should be to kerbweight.  However, as above, the difference is only the weight of fuel,  so is unlikely to be significant for the purpose of the 85% rule calculation.

Apologies.

Brian,

May I (gently) correct a couple of things:

1. The Unladen Weight is defined in the Regulations: it is the empty weight of the vehicle, without driver, fuel, or removable tolls and equipment. The Kerbside weight is NOT defined in the regulaions, but the standard EU definition is now widely used: it is the empty weight of the vehciles, with full fuel, tolls, etc., and a driver at 75 Kgs. As my own motorhome tank takes about 75 Kgs of fuel, that's a really meaningful difference of 150 Kgs!

2. The C1+E licence is exactly the same for those who passed the C1E test post 1997 and those who have grandfather rights with the single exception of the introduction of the 8250 limit from 01.01.1997 for those with grandfather rights only. In other words, the requirement for the trailer MAM not to exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle applies to both categories of licence holder. (The DirectGov website presents this badly and may have cause confusion to many!!)

The somewhat crazy thing is that this means the C1+E is actually more restrictive than B+E in many situations.

Thus, a Land Rover Discovery (MAM 3220, ULW 2600) may legitimately tow a 3500 MAM trailer using the B+E qualification, but would be restricted to a 2600 MAM trailer under the C1+E category. Of course, if fully loaded, the trailer would be outside the recommended 85% limit - but it is only a recommendation.

It's why you see so many farmers with Defenders and Discoveries towing half the farm behind them!

Brian,

May I (gently) correct a couple of things:

1. The Unladen Weight is defined in the Regulations: it is the empty weight of the vehicle, without driver, fuel, or removable tools and equipment. The Kerbside weight is NOT defined in the regulaions, but the standard EU definition is now widely used: it is the empty weight of the vehicle, with full fuel, tools, etc., and a driver at 75 Kgs. As my own motorhome tank takes about 75 Kgs of fuel, that's a really meaningful difference of 150 Kgs!

2. The C1+E licence is exactly the same for those who passed the C1E test post 1997 and those who have grandfather rights with the single exception of the introduction of the 8250 limit from 01.01.1997 for those with grandfather rights only. In other words, the requirement for the trailer MAM not to exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle applies to both categories of licence holder. (The DirectGov website presents this badly and may have cause confusion to many!!)

The somewhat crazy thing is that this means the C1+E is actually more restrictive than B+E in many situations.

Thus, a Land Rover Discovery (MAM 3220, ULW 2600) may legitimately tow a 3500 MAM trailer using the B+E qualification, but would be restricted to a 2600 MAM trailer under the C1+E category. Of course, if fully loaded, the trailer would be outside the recommended 85% limit - but it is only a recommendation.

It's why you see so many farmers with Defenders and Discoveries towing half the farm behind them!

Thanks Mel, I'm grateful for the clarifications/corrections. 

Re C1+E, you're right, the DVLA site is a bit ambiguous, and so is the DVLA INF30 booklet, from which I took the information.  However, the wording governing both categories is, of course, the same - so the rule about trailer not exceeding vehicle ULW must be equally applicable within both 8,250Kg and 12,000Kg combined weight limits. 

Silly me, and I re-read that section at least three times looking for exactly that, and still missed it.  Doh!

Hi,

Thanks to Brian for trying to explain things....although I must admit my brain still hurts. I will keep refering back to this mail, but my understanding now (as distinct from last week) is that ....

1) I CANNOT drive a vehicle which has a greater MAM than my licence allows (currently 7500kg I think, but academic) even if its ALW is below the limit of my licence.

2) But I CAN tow a trailer which has a greater MAM than my licence allows, but only if its ALW is below the limit of my licence.

So the rules are appllied differently for motor vehicles and trailers?

My immediate concerns are for small trailers, say 1500kg MAM. I can tow such a trailer legally behind my Land Rover even when laden, but until recently, I belived I could not tow it behind my wifes SAAB (tow limit about 1000kg). I now believe the SAAB can tow a 1500kg MAM trailer, provided its ALW does not exceed 1000kg-ish. I think my Talbot camper also has a tow limit of 1000kg. My wife might let me put a towbar onto the Talbot, but the SAAB is likely to be a no-no.

I've tried to avoid the small print, such as train-weights, until I can get the foregoing clear in my mind. Now waiting reply from VOSA.

Oh yes, my neighbour in France told me (Franglaise and sign language) that a trailer under 500kg must have a plate RIVETTED to the drawbar showing ULW, MAM, and payload. Above that weight, the trailer must be registered and insured in its own name.

W3526602 - 2007-02-20 5:48 PM Hi, Thanks to Brian for trying to explain things....although I must admit my brain still hurts. I will keep refering back to this mail, but my understanding now (as distinct from last week) is that .... 1) I CANNOT drive a vehicle which has a greater MAM than my licence allows (currently 7500kg I think, but academic) even if its ALW is below the limit of my licence. 2) But I CAN tow a trailer which has a greater MAM than my licence allows, but only if its ALW is below the limit of my licence. So the rules are appllied differently for motor vehicles and trailers? My immediate concerns are for small trailers, say 1500kg MAM. I can tow such a trailer legally behind my Land Rover even when laden, but until recently, I belived I could not tow it behind my wifes SAAB (tow limit about 1000kg). I now believe the SAAB can tow a 1500kg MAM trailer, provided its ALW does not exceed 1000kg-ish. I think my Talbot camper also has a tow limit of 1000kg. My wife might let me put a towbar onto the Talbot, but the SAAB is likely to be a no-no. I've tried to avoid the small print, such as train-weights, until I can get the foregoing clear in my mind. Now waiting reply from VOSA. Oh yes, my neighbour in France told me (Franglaise and sign language) that a trailer under 500kg must have a plate RIVETTED to the drawbar showing ULW, MAM, and payload. Above that weight, the trailer must be registered and insured in its own name. 602

John

The only real solution is to plod through, checking off each restriction in turn.

The answer to your two numbered questions will depend upon the vehicle categories and combinations your licence entitles you to drive.

Q1. If you have C1, you can drive up to 7,500Kg, provided you are under 70 or, if 70 or over, have taken the medical necessary to maintain your "Grandfather Rights" on driving vehicles over 3,500Kg.

Q2 No, you can't tow a trailer/tow vehicle combination with a MAM heavier than your licence permits. 

However, if you have a B+E, you are apparently licenced to tow trailers at any weight (but always within the tow vehicle's stated train weight or trailer limits).  If you have a C1+E licence (implying a tow vehicle between 3,500Kg MAM and 7,500Kg MAM), you can tow trailers up to an actual weight not exceeding the unladen weight of the tow vehicle, (but still within the tow vehicle's stated train weight or trailer limits), within an absolute limit of 8,250Kg (if your licence carries note 107) or 12,000Kg if it does not.

The question of what you can tow with Land Rover or the Saab has as much to with gross train weight as with your licence. 

If the Saab itself (or the Land Rover) can tow 1,000Kg, (but check what the handbook says about train weight) you can tow the 1,500Kg MAM trailer (at up to 1,000Kg actual weight), but only if you have a B+E licence, since, as Mel points out above, there appears to be no limit on how heavy the trailer can be relative to the tow vehicle (and providing the tow vehicle is less than 3,500Kg MAM).

Hi Brian,

I think you have confirmed what I now think. :'(

Further, I now think that when I turn 70, I will be resticted to towing a trailer with ALW equal to my tow cars ULW. This implies that the heavier my car, the heavier I can tow, up to a limit of 1750kg each for both the car and the trailer .... but that might bring the train weight into play if I then add passengers etc. Academic in my case, and I should act my age.

I wish HMG would produce a logical tree.

W3526602 - 2007-02-21 8:08 AM Hi Brian, I think you have confirmed what I now think. :'( Further, I now think that when I turn 70, I will be resticted to towing a trailer with ALW equal to my tow cars ULW. This implies that the heavier my car, the heavier I can tow, up to a limit of 1750kg each for both the car and the trailer .... but that might bring the train weight into play if I then add passengers etc. Academic in my case, and I should act my age. I wish HMG would produce a logical tree. 602

John

You can always take the medical and if you pass you'll retain your grandfather rights.  However, if you have B+E and stick to motorhomes of 3,500 Kg or below, you can tow more or less any weight of trailer as things currently stand.

Brian and John,

This exchange shows how complex it all is and why even sensible, intelligent people like the two of you keep slipping up! Just so we all know, here are a couple of corrections:

Brian said:

"However, if you have a B+E, you are apparently licenced to tow trailers at any weight (but always within the tow vehicle's stated train weight or trailer limits). If you have a C1+E licence (implying a tow vehicle between 3,500Kg MAM and 7,500Kg MAM), you can tow trailers up to an actual weight not exceeding the unladen weight of the tow vehicle, (but still within the tow vehicle's stated train weight or trailer limits), within an absolute limit of 8,250Kg (if your licence carries note 107) or 12,000Kg if it does not."

The corrections are:

1. The maximum MAM of the trailer may not exceed 3500 Kgs unless you have a C+E (or D+E for coaches).

2. For C1+E you can tow trailers up to a MAM not exceeding the unladen weight of the tow vehicle and NOT up to the ACTUAL WEIGHT as stated. My illustration in my previous posting shows why this distinction is so important.

Sorry to be so pernickety. Staying within the law when towing is complicated.

From 2012, the restriction on the trailer MAM not exceeding the unladen weight of the tow vehcile is removed for ALL categories, leaving it simply to Train Weight to define what is allowed.

At the same time all licences above B+E (C1,C,D1,D with or without E) will have to be renewed every 5 years, regardless of age and the applicant will have to pass the equivalent of today's HGV driver test.

Mel E

====

Mel: At the same time all licences above B+E (C1,C,D1,D with or without E) will have to be renewed every 5 years, regardless of age and the applicant will have to pass the equivalent of today's HGV driver test.

You seem to be saying that all HGV drivers will have to retake the test every 5 years, surely thats not true.

Olley

Olley,

I'm afraid it is. The new Legislative Directive was passed by the European Parliament in December and will now be the subject of consultation by the DforT within the UK. However, that consultation process is required by law and cannot change the Directive: it can only influence those parts of it (and they are fairly minimal) that are left to the discretion of each member state.

The renewal of C1 etc., licences every 5 years and the Annex giving the details of the medical examination are not such discretionary items. It is, however, left to the discretion of each member state as to whether the basic licence should be renewed at 10 or 15 year intervals.

Mel E

====

Does this apply to those of us with "grandfather rights" as well?

I passed my test in 1970 and have always had C1 & D1 on it (+E for everything).

I use these "larger vehicle" provisions occasionally for various reasons, but I'd always understood that I'd keep them til I turned 70.

Apparently when photocard licences came in some people lost these rights because they weren't automatically added, but I'm still on a paper licence as I haven't moved house or changed anything else since then.

Maybe if I can get away with staying at the same address and not having to send in my licence, I might escape these changes too - after all, since I'm in possession of a legally-issued licence with all those categories on it, it'd be hard for anyone to argue I can't use it!

Then again, maybe not!

Olley,

I take it that you would wish to retain yours.

MelE is quite correct ,

I have to have a full medical every five years and then attend a full opticians eye examination. The cost for the medical was £55 and for the opticians £22 then I had to send off the whole lot again to reatin my licence which I am not willing to loose purely because I am still of employable age and I never know when I might need to fall back on it.

Regards

Hi perhaps I didn't explain myself properly, I know that I will have to have a medical every 5 years until I am 70 (13 years to go) But the way I read the post I will also have to retake my "C" driving test every 5 years as well.

and that is what I was querying.

Olley

Mel E - 2007-02-22 11:08 AM Brian and John, This exchange shows how complex it all is and why even sensible, intelligent people like the two of you keep slipping up! Just so we all know, here are a couple of corrections: Brian said: "However, if you have a B+E, you are apparently licenced to tow trailers at any weight (but always within the tow vehicle's stated train weight or trailer limits). If you have a C1+E licence (implying a tow vehicle between 3,500Kg MAM and 7,500Kg MAM), you can tow trailers up to an actual weight not exceeding the unladen weight of the tow vehicle, (but still within the tow vehicle's stated train weight or trailer limits), within an absolute limit of 8,250Kg (if your licence carries note 107) or 12,000Kg if it does not." The corrections are: 1. The maximum MAM of the trailer may not exceed 3500 Kgs unless you have a C+E (or D+E for coaches). 2. For C1+E you can tow trailers up to a MAM not exceeding the unladen weight of the tow vehicle and NOT up to the ACTUAL WEIGHT as stated. My illustration in my previous posting shows why this distinction is so important. Sorry to be so pernickety. Staying within the law when towing is complicated. From 2012, the restriction on the trailer MAM not exceeding the unladen weight of the tow vehcile is removed for ALL categories, leaving it simply to Train Weight to define what is allowed. At the same time all licences above B+E (C1,C,D1,D with or without E) will have to be renewed every 5 years, regardless of age and the applicant will have to pass the equivalent of today's HGV driver test. Mel E ====

Mel

Thanks again.  You are right, I did not state the fact that a B+E licence applies only when the tow vehicle is 3,500Kg or below.

However, re the trailer weight, I wonder where you get your note 1 regarding the MAM of the trailer?

I ask, because I got my info from the following, in which the underlined section appears to confirm what I had originally posted: i.e. there is no upper limit on trailer weight with a B+E licence, which may seem odd, but appears also to be what EC Directive 91/439/EEC says.

Extract from DVLA information leaflet INF 30, “Driving Licensing Requirements for Towing Trailers in Great Britain”, (incorporating changes from 1 January 1997).

"Category B+E – Vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes MAM towing trailers over 750kg MAM

Category B+E allows vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes MAM to be combined with trailers in excess of 750kg MAM. In order to gain this entitlement new category B licence holders have to pass a further practical test for category B+E. There is no category B+E theory test. For driver licensing purposes there are no vehicle/trailer weight ratio limits for category B+E."

Fun, isn't it?

Olley,

Really sorry if I misled: it's the medical test which will have to be done every 5 years and NOT the driving test itself. And yes, this DOES apply to those with grandfather rights.

It will be costly: my Doctor charges me £15 for a medical certificate, but quite a bit more for a full medical - and I've heard of Doctors charging up to £120 for an HGV medical certificate. And then of course, the DVLA will need to make money out of the renewal.

It means that, if you buy an over 3.5 tonne MAM motorhome today, and you intend to keep it for more than 5 years, this may hit you well before 70. Of course, if you have no medical problems, then it will only cost you money! And time! And hassle!

The really crazy thing is that this new rule is tackling a problem that doesn't seem to exist: the number of major accidents caused by people driving vehicles for which they would have failed the medical is way off the minimal end of the scale. Remember that, if you suffer any medical infirmity, it must be reported to the DVLA and your medical specialist and Doctor will so advise you. Failure to do so will definitly invalidate your insurance.

Mel E

====

Hi,

To recap,

My understanding has always been that I cannot drive a vehicle with a MAM greater than that allowed by my licence.....even if it is unladen.

Similarly, I believed that I could not tow a trailer with an MAM greater than that specified by the tow car's manufacturer.

Recently I have been advised that the second paragraph above is incorrect. So, last week I sent a query to VOSA. I recieved their reply today. It says......

......The maximum weight that a private vehicle can tow legally will generally be that specified by the vehicle manufacturer. It is the manufacturer's permitted weight shown on the car's data plate.

You may tow a trailer with a maximum authorised mass greater than that specified on your car's data plate providing the actual authorised mass of the trailer does not exceed the manufacturer's limit for a trailer......

So I am very happy, though puzzled by the term "actual authorised mass". Can I assume that is a slip of the pen, and should read "actual laden mass"?

Note that all the above applies to the vehicle regulations, and your driving licence restrictions may still prevent you pulling what you want.

My thanks to Brian for guiding me on this matter, and I withdraw my "crazy" allegation..... but if ALM applies to trailer, why not to other vehicles, or should I stop while I am ahead?

So long as you think you're ahead, yes, stop!!!

It's simple really:

1. You cannot tow a trailer with an ACTUAL LADEN WEIGHT that exceeds the Train Weight or other manufacturer tow weight of the towing vehicle.

2. Not withstanding (1), you cannot tow a trailer exceeding 3500 MAM with a tow vehicle of less than 7500 MAM.

3. As well as (1) and (2), you cannot tow a trailer that exceeds the permissions for the Driving License categories you have.

4. As well as (1), (2) and (3), you cannot tow a trailer which fails to comply with all aspects of the Road Vehicles Construction and Use Regulations, 1986 and the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989. (This is what makes A-frame cars illegal in the UK, though I accept it has not yet been tested in court).

Simple as pie, isn't it?

Mel E

====

Hi Mel thanks for the clarification, you had me worried there :-D My first medical last year was £80 I believe, I can stick that every 5 years.

My instructor believed that their was "A Drivers Certificate of Competency" being considered by Brussels, which will need to be renewed every five years, by proof of 1 weeks training. do you have any info on this? and whether it would only apply to professionals rather than leisure only drivers like myself.

Olley

Mel E - 2007-02-23 11:05 AM Brian, The 3500 limit for trailers is in C&U where it defines this as the limit of trailer that can be towed by a LCV (i.e., up to 7500 MAM). Mel E ====

Thanks Mel.  It is presumably defined in terms of the tow vehicle and not in terms of the trailer itself?

I had been hunting for anything in the C&U, but there doesn't seem to be an on line version, due to the cutoff date for converting statutes to web searchable format.  Every amendment since, mind, just not the original.  Peeving! 

Still, 3,500MAM should be quite enough for most folk, except perhaps Chris Eubank!

Guest JudgeMental

Just back from a break in Tenerife and my new 3 year medically restricted licence (3500 kg) was waiting for me on my return…

The above thread is way beyond me, all I know is that I can still tow...

New camper on order has a towing capacity of 1000 kg. Can I tow more then this?

Or I suppose if I had ordered a camper with heavier chassis ( hard to do on 3500 kg) and say a towing capacity of 1500 -2000 kg I could tow that as well?

New licence: B, BE, f k l n p

Recently sold small Mitsubishi Colt (930 kg) as I originally thought I would not be able to tow it!

Eddie

The definitive answer can only come from DVLA and your vehicle handbook.  There are too many specific variables that may affect what, in the end, you can do.

If you really want to know exactly where you stand, I'm afraid you'll just have to print off this string, follow the various links, and sit down for a while with the asprins and read, remember, and inwardly digest! 

It seems you're probably OK with BE up to 1000Kg, but ultimately, only you can know all the details.  And it's better you do, just in case you get stopped!

Archived