Towing: vehicle and licence restrictions.

Brian Kirby

No need to guess (and get a bit wrong!) it's all in the above posts.  Just read and inwardly digest! 

It is complicated, but quite logical so long as you separate the bits into the correct pigeonholes: one for the tow vehicle, one for they trailer, and one for your driving licence.  Then, the lowest weight combination rules - except for the anomaly that allows vehicles at 3,500Kg to tow trailers heavier that the two vehicle (but always subject to the vehicle and trailer manufacturers' actual MAM and train weight limits).

Eddie and 602,

If you read my last post, all is clear. Eddie, you can tow a trailer up to 1,000 Kg ACTUAL weight.

602, with a B+E licence which Ediie now has, the trailer MAM does NOT have to be less than the tow vehicle unladen weight - it can legally exceed it.

Mel E

====

Hi All,

Maybe slightly off topic, but hopefully relevent, sorry if it is.

As most of you appear to have already changed your licences, can anyone advise me how you ensure that if you apply for a new licence, for whatever reason, that you maintain your origional entitlements that you had prior to the 97 date? My licence states it covers any motor vehicle other than 'Heavy Goods' and 'PSV's' for which it holds Provisional status but the group lettering is completely different to the new ones. I currently have groups A, D, E and Motor Vehicles of all other Groups providing you have reachedthe age for driving them.

I actually still tow an outfit that exceeds 3500kg MAM and would need to ensure I keep that requirement.

Thanks Bas

Basil,

Your revised licence should automatically show the grandfather rights to B, B+E, C1, C1E (8250), D1, D1E (not for hire or reward) as well as all those trivial ones like road rollers, etc.

Just check it carefully when it arrives and if it does not, take a photocopy and send it back with a polite letter.

Mel E

====

Thanks very much for your reply Mel, just was a bit concerned as there is the possibility of a house move in the air and reading this made me a bit concerned that it could all go pear shaped if I have to change address details and get a dreaded photolicence.

Thanks again Bas

I'm still on a paper licence too, and I remember reading in one of the mags that once you send it in for replacement, it's not at all unusual for DVLA just to send out a "normal" licence, without our grandfather rights. Furthermore, they don't keep ANY record of what groups were on the original - which means if they mess up, you've had it!

So when the time comes, I'm going to photocopy mine BEFORE I send it in, AND enclose a letter drawing attention to the full range of groups listed on it. Call me cynical, but the Government's IT track record isn't brilliant!

In fact, having been reminded of the problem I think I'll make a copy now, to cover myself in case of loss, theft damage etc.

Tony

Basil - 2007-02-27 10:54 AM Thanks very much for your reply Mel, just was a bit concerned as there is the possibility of a house move in the air and reading this made me a bit concerned that it could all go pear shaped if I have to change address details and get a dreaded photolicence. Thanks again Bas

Basil

In that case, follow the excellent engineering maxim of only changing one thing at a time.  If there is time to do the licence chande before moving, do it now, then the address and if not vice versa, if you see what I mean!

However, whichever way you do this, and whether or not you change to a photocard licence, do take, and keep a photocopy of your licence (both versions pro tem) since loss, or theft, especially abroad, is so much easier remedied with the aid of a copy.

Thanks Mel, Brian and Tony,

Your comments re early photocopy are wise, must admit I hadn't really considered theft or loss being a problem, just the DVLA messing up, which of course they could well do if you asked for a replacement for a missing licence!! Wonder if they would accept my origional red covered booklet one?

Photocopies will duly be taken and kept in a safe place until I decide on further action.

Thanks Bas

Hi,

DVLA will microfilm your licence when it is received. That microfilm will be kept for several years. If you send £5 to DVLA they will give you a copy of your driver history. All the numbers listed will refer to the reference number of the microfilm copy of the document that you sent them. I don't know how long they keep microfilms nowadays.

A red licence is no longer valid, they had a life of ten years from the date they expired.

But yes, photocopy everything that you send to DVLA. I even write the number of my MOT somewhere on the V11....only I do it online now. Take a hard copy of any online transactions.

Archived